Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2015, 08:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Colorado
THOR #2521
Our New Vegas 24.1

Hello,

We purchased a new '16 Vegas 24.1 just over a month ago and have been spending time mostly getting it set up the way we like it. This is our 4th RV in 43 years. There was a period in the middle where we were mostly working and raising kids and did not have any kind of RV. This is the first motorhome. The three previous were travel trailers. First one was a pop-up.

So far, I have been busy fixing all of the things Thor and Camping World neglected to do.
My punch list so far: Before we ever got it off the dealer lot, they had to replace a tire. It had a large screw right in the middle of the tread. I spotted it immediately on the walk-around. They did not see it at all. Camping World was going to plug it until I told them they could keep it. They had to steal a tire and wheel off another Vegas to repair it.
When I asked if there was any LP in the tank, we discovered it read full inside, but read empty outside. Camping World had to replace the tank gauge. It was a very long day at the dealership.
Camping World had to replace the big round sewer compartment lid. The original was missing.

I installed edge trim along the bottom of the dashboard after my wife complained of the sharp edges.
I added velcro along both edges of the shower curtain to help keep it closed. I discovered that fix on our last travel trailer.
Had to adjust the strike plate on the door after I got stuck inside. I had to head-butt the door to get out.
One day, I could not get it out of Park. That one seems to have cured itself, I hope.
Installed a ScanGauge. I like all of the info it provides including my average mpg, which so far seems to be 11.9 on the highway and somewhat less in town.
Installed a brass hot water heater quick drain.
Added labels to unlabeled switches.
Replaced all of the CH751 locks with Combi-Cam locks. Ten of them altogether.
Removed outer rear valve stem extensions, reworked them a bit so I could check the air and install TireMinder sensors. I can't believe they were installed in such a way as to make it impossible to check the air pressure. Ended up re-bending them to a better angle in order to get them to where they were supposed to be.

The first time I turned on the windshield wipers, the wiper on the driver's side went flying across the parking lot. The washer sprayers seem to spray all over the place, including straight out the front. I'll have to figure out how they adjust. Otherwise the car in front of me will end up with a clean rear window.

The right rear mud flap has melted where it rides up against the exhaust. I'll cut off the melted part when it isn't so hot outside.
Something must be wired backwards in the brake pedal wiring. It will not start if you have your foot on the brake. The E350 manual says you have to put your foot on the brake to start the engine.
The passenger side window, all of the rubber trim fell off of it. Stuck it back up there, but I'm pretty sure it will need a different strip of rubber with better adhesive.
Left front cargo bin has a strip of molding hanging loose. Looks the they put a staple in the trim before they got it in the right position.
Discovered the warranty start date on the chassis is 3 months prior to the dealer selling it to me. I've read somewhere in the Forums that the dealer can correct this with Ford, but you have to make them do it.
The radio is not completely into the dashboard on the pax side.
The generator will start from the control panel but not from the dash switch. Either switch will shut it off.
One of the cabinets in the bedroom has it's handle mounted in a different spot than all the rest of the cabinets. It's mounted higher, right into the routed part of the wood edge just before the inner panel. What were they thinking?
My phone connected to the bluetooth easy enough. But no sound comes out of it. The Axxera radio seems like an awkward, el cheapo, piece of junk.
My biggest disappointment: I am surprised at the "Owner's Manual." It is incredibly cheap and generic it could be used with any motorhome, any year, any manufacturer. One would think that for close to a six figure vehicle they could have done a substantially better job. It seems more of an afterthought than an actual owner's manual. An embarrassment.

A lot of issues, and it seems I add more every day. All prior RV's we have owned have also had their issues. Looks like just a lot of sloppiness and carelessness. But it drives like a dream and we both love it so far. There is an upside to all of the things I have had to fix. I am now intimately familiar with most of the systems on this thing and tinkering with it gives me some degree of pleasure. These forums have given me a great deal of info as to what to look for and how to make things better. Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Our first big trip is coming up at the end of the month to California. I hope the snow holds off until we get back.

John & Carol
Two old and gray haired retirees

Old 09-06-2015, 11:50 PM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum!

Our experience with our 2016 Vegas from an independent dealer was totally different, impressed with the fit and finish. Makes you wonder if all the units require a lot of fixing before delivery, or if yours was just made on a Friday!

It sounds like you have the skills and the patience to work through your issues and make your coach right for you.

Here's to happy camping!
Old 09-21-2015, 08:50 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #2898
John & Carol,
Sounds like we have the same story to tell! Just bought our 2016 Vegas 20 days ago and have all the same issues. I made an appointment to have most of the items repaired and just left the RUV at Camping World for at least 3 weeks. I'll have to take notes when I read your message again so I can ask about some of your ideas and fixes.
Angelo & Diane from TN.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:04 PM   #4

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
John S,
What is ScanGauge
and where do you get one?

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:18 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
ScanGauge is a computer you plug into the OBD-II port that allows you to run some custom gauges on the dash:
http://www.amazon.com/ScanGauge-Auto...ords=scangauge

You can also get OBD-II dongles that communicate wireless with your phone. (For example I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-42610...ords=obd+ii+mx )
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:38 PM   #6

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Scan gauge is great. It measures your fuel flow and gives you your mpg on a real time basis. It will also compute your mpg for the day or trip. It really teaches you how much more fuel you use at higher speeds and in head wind conditions and when you allow the engine to downshift going up hill. I figure it more than paid for itself in my first 25000 miles in the Vegas by changing my driving habits.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:55 PM   #7

THOR #2142
Gentlemen,

Years ago I souped up my Mustang. At the time we were looking into getting a custom computer chip so as to change the RPM range for the transmission to change gears. Has anyone looked into the possibility of a custom chip to change the RPM range for downshifting with the cruise control on while heading uphill and avoid the dreaded double downshift - and the noise it causes?

Old 09-22-2015, 08:31 PM   #8

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

You can also get OBD-II dongles that communicate wireless with your phone. (For example I have this one: Amazon.com: ScanTool 426101 OBDLink MX Bluetooth: OBD Adapter/Diagnostic Scanner for Android & Windows: Automotive )
The dongle says it does not support iOS devices. Do you know of one that does support iOS? I can search but thought maybe you already had the information.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:03 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike
Years ago I souped up my Mustang. At the time we were looking into getting a custom computer chip so as to change the RPM range for the transmission to change gears. Has anyone looked into the possibility of a custom chip to change the RPM range for downshifting with the cruise control on while heading uphill and avoid the dreaded double downshift - and the noise it causes?
You are looking for a 5-star tune: Got a 2006-2015 V10 RV ? - 5 Star Tuning
I had a 5-star tune in my F-350--it made a huge improvement in the feeling of power. You can call/e-mail them and get a custom tune; including changing shift points and even locking out a gear (I think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford
The dongle says it does not support iOS devices. Do you know of one that does support iOS? I can search but thought maybe you already had the information.
You'll want the WiFi version for iOS: Amazon.com: ScanTool OBDLink MX Wi-Fi: OBD Adapter/Diagnostic Scanner for iOS, Android & Windows: Automotive
Old 09-22-2015, 09:15 PM   #10

THOR #2142
Jamie thanks.
Did you notice a difference in MPG?

Doc

Old 09-22-2015, 09:34 PM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike
Did you notice a difference in MPG?
Maybe about 1 mpg. It was so much fun driving around with the performance tune in I rarely put the economy tune in!