Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2020, 12:57 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: North Carolina
THOR #19701
New to the forum

Hello everyone, We are in the process of finding an RV. Looking at the Thor super C either XG 32 or SV 34. We have driven the product but keep thinking about a class A. We do plan to tow a 24’ boat 5500lbs from time to time. Anyone have insight? And is the A class more difficult to handle/drive. We have looked at but not driven the Thor Palazzo and Aria.
Thank you!

Old 07-20-2020, 01:36 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Welcome to the forum. Check the towing capacity of the Palazzo very close. It might be limited to 5k due to the transmission.
Old 07-20-2020, 02:03 AM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: North Carolina
THOR #19382
Welcome! Sorry I can't help with your question but definitely share when you decide.
Camping- Where Friends & Marshmallows Get Toasted At The Same Time.
2017 Thor Four Winds - wherever the road takes us!
KrisCatNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:00 AM   #4

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbarnes View Post
Hello everyone, We are in the process of finding an
RV. Looking at the Thor super C either XG 32 or SV 34. We have driven the product but keep thinking about a class A. We do plan to tow a 24’ boat 5500lbs from time to time. Anyone have insight? And is the A class more difficult to handle/drive. We have looked at but not driven the Thor Palazzo and Aria.
Thank you!
We have an Aria. I find it drives great and does not tire me out. We have towed our 20' boat (not 5500 lbs), a 4700LB Durango and now a Jeep Wrangler (not sure of the weight). The Aria is fully able to tow 10K lbs. It will slow down a little on the hills, but will get you there with no drama. I can't personally compare it to a super C. I like them but the floor plans just weren't a fit for us.
Mike
Old 07-20-2020, 07:49 AM   #5

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1noel View Post
We have an Aria. I find it drives great and does not tire me out. We have towed our 20' boat (not 5500 lbs), a 4700LB Durango and now a Jeep Wrangler (not sure of the weight). The Aria is fully able to tow 10K lbs. It will slow down a little on the hills, but will get you there with no drama. I can't personally compare it to a super C. I like them but the floor plans just weren't a fit for us.
Mike

Agree with Vicki and Mike-we have the Aria 4000 Class A, drives easily, stable with a TOAD (4-door Wrangler Rubicon), and very spacious.

Super-Cs lose some interior space due to the engine up front because it pushes the cab back into the living area-just my 2 cents. Think of a Class-C on steroids....

GVP
Old 07-20-2020, 11:30 AM   #6

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Welcome to the forum
Old 07-20-2020, 11:48 AM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Shopping is the most fun part of the process...
...Until the camping part starts to happen!!
Welcome aboard!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:14 PM   #8

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
We looked at several Super C’s and really like the chassis but for us the benefit was not worth the price premium. We were able to purchase a class A Newmar with a wonderful floor plan for $40,000 less than the Super C we were
looking at. Ours only has a 5,000 lb tow rating so it wouldn’t work for you but there are lots of choices out there. I’m not really sure anyone can help with your selection - too many personal preferences involved. But do take your time and enjoy the shopping. If you start to get overwhelmed just take a break and go home. Even just the surges of going home might shake a few thousand dollars out of the price of a unit you like!
Old 07-22-2020, 05:40 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree: get an idea of the floorplan that you like best, and then start looking for the RV with the most "other things" that are on your list.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:03 AM   #10

Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #17883
Welcome to Thor Forums from Louisiana.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:28 PM   #11

THOR #4813
Don’t buy a Thor!
Old 08-05-2020, 06:33 PM   #12

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum. Looking for the "ONE" is a great challenge. You will know it when you find it. Keep us informed as to your decision.

Paul
Old 08-05-2020, 07:19 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by breenw View Post
Don’t buy a Thor!
There just has to be a story lurking behind that comment...

What happened?
Old 08-06-2020, 11:38 AM   #14

THOR #6252
We also are looking at either a Class A or a Super-C. Is there anyone who has driven both a A and a Super-C? One of my concerns is my wife has some concerns about driving an A, and we have heard a Super-C is easier to drive. Any thoughts
Old 08-06-2020, 12:44 PM   #15
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
We also are looking at either a Class A or a Super-C. Is there anyone who has driven both a A and a Super-C? One of my concerns is my wife has some concerns about driving an A, and we have heard a Super-C is easier to drive. Any thoughts
Class A gasser or diesel pusher? Driving is similar but the ride is totally different. Depending on the DP the handling can range from about the same to as different as night and day.

Super C motorhomes come on various platforms. The Magnitude/Omni for instance is on a Class 5 truck chassis while the Accolade/Seneca is on a Class 7 chassis. The class 5 chassis does not have rear air suspension or air brakes but they are smaller and sit lower to the ground.

We test drove a few Class A diesels and Super C motorhomes. We went with the Accolade 37TS Super C primarily because the floorpan met our requirements. We were lucky enough to have a dealer that had a Magnitude and Accolade sitting across from each other so we were able to compare side by side.

One very important note about pushers. Be careful. Some of the smaller pushers such as the Legacy, Forza and Palazzo have no towing capacity to speak of. They are limited in towing due to the transmission that is installed. If towing capacity is a concern stay away from anything with an Allison 2000 or 2500 series transmission. Our Accolade with an Allison MH3000 trans can tow 12,000 pounds.

Enjoy the search because that is half the fun.

Disclaimer, the DW has never driven any of our motorhomes so although we discuss her ability to drive one that has been a very minor factor in any purchase decision for us.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:56 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Disclaimer, the DW has never driven any of our motorhomes so although we discuss her ability to drive one that has been a very minor factor in any purchase decision for us.
It would be interesting to get her opinion on driving them (Even if it's just developed during some "Parking Lot Lessons"..
Old 08-06-2020, 01:03 PM   #17

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Hard to help with such a personal question. Drive what you are considering and make up your own mind. For us we chose a gas A after driving a pretty wide assortment of machines. Liked the super C’s we looked at but couldn’t justify the high price. The ride is certainly better on the C and they are safer and easier to enter and exit. But you lose living space for any given length and you just can’t beat the “view” from an A. Perhaps the best of both worlds is a nice diesel pusher but there’s that cost thing again - which may or may not be an issue for you. Take your time and enjoy the shopping. It took me three coaches to figure out what I REALLY like and it might have been a lot cheaper to shop more early on. Good luck!
Old 08-06-2020, 02:00 PM   #18

THOR #6252
Thanks. We have a 5th wheel now and she has learned she can handle driving the Pickup w/5th wheel no problem. When we test drove a Class DP she wouldn't even drive it, feeling it was to big and bouncy. So based on what I have read a gasser would be worse. Hence my thinking of a super-C. We know it lacks the floor plan and space of an A, but maybe she would find it easier to drive since she has not problem with our F250 with 5th wheel.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:01 PM   #19

THOR #6252
[QUOTE=Bob Denman;247746]It would be interesting to get her opinion on driving them (Even if it's just developed during some "Parking Lot Lessons".. [/QUOTE

She is very reluctant to test drive a class A.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:05 PM   #20

THOR #6252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Hard to help with such a personal question. Drive what you are considering and make up your own mind. For us we chose a gas A after driving a pretty wide assortment of machines. Liked the super C’s we looked at but couldn’t justify the high price. The ride is certainly better on the C and they are safer and easier to enter and exit. But you lose living space for any given length and you just can’t beat the “view” from an A. Perhaps the best of both worlds is a nice diesel pusher but there’s that cost thing again - which may or may not be an issue for you. Take your time and enjoy the shopping. It took me three coaches to figure out what I REALLY like and it might have been a lot cheaper to shop more early on. Good luck!

Thanks, we have a 5th wheel. She drives that with no problem. This will be our first A or super_c, and most likely due to our age the last. We have the same concerns about the floor plan and lack of usable space with any super-C, and on that basis prefer a Class A either gas or DP, but she thinks after driving our F250 she would be able to handle a super-C easier than a Class A.