Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2019, 12:41 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Louisiana
THOR #16756
Pittsburgher

Hello all:
We just sold our 3000 square foot home and moved into a 2 bedroom apartment one year ago. My wife and I plan to work one more year and purchase the Vegas 24.1 and explore the country. Almost complete with selling all our earthly possessions required to maintain a large home and yard. If I never see a Home Depot or Lowes anytime soon, I won't be disappointed.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:13 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
You don't know what You don't know..

I STRONGLY SUGGEST..
That You rent a class "C" or an"A" for a weeks vacation... To see if the Vegas is large enough to be full timing with????.. And is the build quality high enough to last you a few years ?????....

ie: size of shower/toilet, size of galley, fridge and pantry, inside and outside storage space, Are the fresh/black/gray tanks large enough to go a week before having to dump?.. 2 A/C units??... Leveling Jacks???.. tow capacities???? and the list goes on and on
What may seem "small but do-able" now will become absolutely unbearable when Coop'd up during inclimate weather for a week or more..

Just some observations... (garnered the hard way)

1st.. View the "tag" lines at the bottom of the responding posters..
To give you an Idea of where they are coming from and the equipment they have.

Keep in mind..
You Do Not Know......What You Do Not Know..

Your 1st coach is a learning tool..
When You tour/view "In Person" any perspective coach..
View it First with all slides retracted,
If the coach is fully usable without the slides extended, then give it a second look.
(Think wally-docking,rest areas,truckstops...any where that you cannot/do not have room for the slides to be extended)

BUY USED! & buy one with everything you "think" you want and will need..
IF the perspective coach seems a bit small but still "DO-Able" .......REMEMBER!!!
What seemed small... becomes unbearably TINY after being Coop'd up" for a week or more due to weather...
(AKA.....Cabin Fever)
And.... You WILL make mistakes and have booboo's We all have.....(sometimes more than twice..)
Within a year or two you will discover..about the RV

What you love about the RV...
What you can kinda-sorta tolerate with the RV..
And what you absolutely hate about that !@#$%^%$#@! RV.
Then you can go get what you should have gotten in the first place..
Happy Hunting

Remember!!!!
Every day you "put off" retiring...is just one LESS day you have remaining to enjoy being RETIRED !!!
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:31 PM   #3

THOR #16756
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgher View Post
Hello all:
We just sold our 3000 square foot home and moved into a 2 bedroom apartment one year ago. My wife and I plan to work one more year and purchase the Vegas 24.1 and explore the country. Almost complete with selling all our earthly possessions required to maintain a large home and yard. If I never see a Home Depot or Lowes anytime soon, I won't be disappointed.

Even though our home is being sold we will have family bases in San Diego and Miami. We like the fact that the 24.1 seems manageable in tight settings and livable without all of the slides extended as most of the lager rigs seem to need. Your advice is very well received. I can only imagine
Old 09-18-2019, 06:39 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
The time is now...buy it now if you can...it gives you time to work through the bugs and learn how everything fits together (or doesn't). Once retired...you'll be seasoned, confident and ready to conquer the world.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:09 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Sadly, many repairs you may have to make on the Vegas can be done with parts you get at The Home Depot...!

I 2nd the notion to just buy it now so you can work out the kinks before you're living in it (you may discover some mods you want to make that would preclude you from living in it while its modded).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:00 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to our little corner of things...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:36 AM   #7

THOR #16756
LOL. Thank you for your warm reception. It seem as though the 24.1 is a hot item. Rarely have I seen any used ones on the internet. We are in Louisiana and don't mind traveling for a good deal. I realized I know more about this vehicle than the sales persons trying to convince me to purchase one. That's kind of frustrating.
That's sounds like good advice to purchase early to familiarize ourselves with the unit. That way I get to tinker and customize. I think the first thing I will do is go to "Home Depot" and get a 4" fence post to store the sewer hose under the carriage. LOL
Old 09-19-2019, 02:56 AM   #8

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Ohio
THOR #14952
Welcome Pittsburgher! I wish we had bought our RV before I retired so that we could have worked out all the details, kinks, modifications & became more familiar with it prior to taking an extended road trip. When we went looking for our RV I had a list of a few things I could not live without. I have read on these forums that the most important thing is the layout, you gotta love it! You can change/modify a lot of other stuff to fit your taste/ lifestyle. Might sound funny, but the first thing I did was get in the shower, 2nd was go sit on the toilet. If those 2 things passed muster, then I became very interested. Just those 2 items eliminated a lot of RVs for us. Good luck in your search!
Old 09-19-2019, 12:12 PM   #9

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #9701
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
The time is now...buy it now if you can...it gives you time to work through the bugs and learn how everything fits together (or doesn't). Once retired...you'll be seasoned, confident and ready to conquer the world.

We have to agree with the "Gritz" and others...purchased our Vegas almost 2 years ago (11-17) and have been improving/upgrading and taking short trips in the "Mitten" since that time. Recently retired and 3 weeks into a 2 month trip out west. Very glad that we KNOW the rig and its pluses and minuses which adds to the enjoyment in our travels!