Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #21
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Those 'orange' extension cords are rated at 15A at best... Running an A/C on them at best will trip te breaker - at worst will cause a voltage drop that can damage the A/C...

You can get away with an 'orange' code if you don't use the A/C, nicrowave, or a residential fridge... It can run the converter, RV fridge... but would still keep the lengths short.

Best is what you are doing - install a 30A (or 50A) outlet - and as Jamie said, use RV extension cords.... The price of the 50A cords may surprise you... for your rig, 30A is more than ok - and much cheaper... and adapt at the house to the 50A if that is what you have installed...

2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:19 PM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I sometimes park my rig in the back yard and run a 50 amp extension cord to my 50 amp outlet. Using the correct extension cord allows me to run 2 ac units, residential refrigerator, and anything else without issue. I do this when I need to get the coach closer to my septic system to dump the tanks or when visitors are staying overnight in the coach and I want the sewer hose connected.

The same should hold true if you use a 30 amp extension cord and dog bone adapter to adapt down from 50 amp to 30 amp.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:40 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
I sometimes park my rig in the back yard and run a 50 amp extension cord to my 50 amp outlet. Using the correct extension cord allows me to run 2 ac units, residential refrigerator, and anything else without issue. I do this when I need to get the coach closer to my septic system to dump the tanks or when visitors are staying overnight in the coach and I want the sewer hose connected.

The same should hold true if you use a 30 amp extension cord and dog bone adapter to adapt down from 50 amp to 30 amp.
I run my AC when using 50' of 30 amp extension cord (off of my 30amp power for my boat at my dock) plus my 25' RV cord without a problem. Very little power drop (using my progressive surge protector) off of the first 50'.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:20 AM   #24

Model: Four Winds 31E
State: Georgia
THOR #5047
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyC View Post
I installed a 30 amp 120V plug in my garage and plug in the MH and run everything. I suggest the same.

This for me.^^^^^^
Old 07-23-2017, 10:32 AM   #25

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Nebraska
THOR #6107
A big thank you for all your replies - all were very helpful. This newbie sure has a lot to learn.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:48 AM   #26

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseyStapler View Post
A big thank you for all your replies - all were very helpful. This newbie sure has a lot to learn.
Everyone starts off as a rookie, you gain experience with time, asking questions, and sharing with others. I've been RVing a very long time and have a pretty good knowledge of RVs, I still ask questions, a LOT!!!

Enjoy your coach and have FUN!!!
Old 08-07-2017, 05:52 AM   #27

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
Residential Fridge

I'll be picking up our new Challenger from the storage yard in the morning, prepping for our first trip! I will park it in the driveway all day, headed out the next morning.

I have a lot to do. Putting in and setting up the TOMS, GPS, loading all the stuff I've bought based on reading this forum (surge protector, water pressure regulator, sewer hoses, garden hoses, I could go on and on...).

But I am not sure what yo do re the refrigerator. Have no special outlets at my house, just standard outdoor receptacles on GFI. I understand the residential fridge on the Challenger requires at least several hours to cool down.

I don't want to run the generator during he night. Should I pack the cold food stuff in an ice chest, run the gennie while driving to the CG until I get hooked up to 50 amp, then use the fridge once it's cold enough?

I've been reading and planning for weeks, suddenly realize I've no idea what yo do about this!
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:51 AM   #28

Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
THOR #3433
Residential refrigerator

Mike in AZ,

Sounds like another trip to the RV store for a 15 Amp male to a 50 Amp female electrical adapter. You won't be able to run more than one appliance off of that 15 Amp GFI receptacle but if it is only for your residential refrigerator you should be OK. You might also get a 30 Amp male to 50 Amp adapter just in case you come to a campground that only has 30 Amp sites available. RV's are after all a money pit💲💲

If, however, this is how you will typically prepare for other trips you should consider having a 50 Amp RV outlet installed just in case you need to run additional appliances.
KC8RXQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:40 AM   #29

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
The Whirlpool fridge in my 2015 Challenger gets completely cold in one hour so loading it up with food once we turn it on and running it off the inverter while we drive, no problem at all. I also added an fridge/freezer temp display so we can monitor the fridge temp all the time.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:16 AM   #30

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
As KC8 said but two dogbone adadptef, 50 to 30, and 30 to 15, buy good ones! You'll need to use both adapters to go down to 15 amp house current, if you need an extension cord get a heavy duty one. You can plug in, turn of the fridge and start loading, it won't take long to get cold. If your fridge has an automatic ice maker throw away the first couple of batches, they'll probably taste nasty. On the road use your inverter if you don't have the generator running, it'll be fine.

Have FUN and enjoy yourself!!!
Old 08-07-2017, 10:46 AM   #31
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Also you can freeze half gallon of water in old milf containers, and put them in the refrig and it will cool id down enough where you can load the refrig up in the morning. (24 Hours) We use three containers.
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:10 AM   #32
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
When you get to the storage lot start the generator and turn on the fridge before you depart. This will start the cooling process while you are driving home.

If you don't have time for a trip to the camping store for the necessary dog bone adapters run an extension cord through a window and plug the fridge directly into the extension cord. On my Challenger the fridge plug is under the bottom cabinet drawer closest to the fridge. This location is also where the ice maker shutoff valve is located.

As another individual stated, if this is going to be a recurring event consider having a 50 amp receptacle installed on your house. It is nice to plug in and not only cool the fridge but to run the AC units to cool the coach while you are loading.

Have you de-winterized the coach and sanitized the fresh water system? On a new Challenger you also need to de-winterize the ice maker.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:39 AM   #33

State: Alaska
THOR #7889
If it's a motor home the fridge should be 12 volt just turn on use switch and put fridge on gas and it should start to cool down
Old 08-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #34

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
......cut.......

But I am not sure what yo do re the refrigerator. Have no special outlets at my house, just standard outdoor receptacles on GFI. I understand the residential fridge on the Challenger requires at least several hours to cool down.

......cut......

Mike, you "might" have a problem connecting to a GFI regardless of load. It seems to affect some motorhomes and not others.

I've never had much luck connecting any RV (owned or rented) to a GFI on front driveway, but never had an issue with same RVs plugged into standard house outlet without GFI. When I researched my problem I found it happens often, so no need to panic. If GFI trips try another outlet first if possible before giving up.

By the way, if you have a residential fridge, don't you also have an inverter and large battery bank? If so, can't you run fridge from batteries overnight assuming batteries are fully charged?
Old 08-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #35

THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC8RXQ View Post
Mike in AZ,

Sounds like another trip to the RV store for a 15 Amp male to a 50 Amp female electrical adapter. You won't be able to run more than one appliance off of that 15 Amp GFI receptacle but if it is only for your residential refrigerator you should be OK. You might also get a 30 Amp male to 50 Amp adapter just in case you come to a campground that only has 30 Amp sites available. RV's are after all a money pit💲💲

If, however, this is how you will typically prepare for other trips you should consider having a 50 Amp RV outlet installed just in case you need to run additional appliances.
Thanks, I didn't know that I could do that (just buy an adapter). I don't think I foresee needing to run more than just the fridge overnight before leaving. If it's hot (like today - in the 100's) I can run the generator for the AC for the short time I'm actually in the RV.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:07 PM   #36

THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
When you get to the storage lot start the generator and turn on the fridge before you depart. This will start the cooling process while you are driving home.

If you don't have time for a trip to the camping store for the necessary dog bone adapters run an extension cord through a window and plug the fridge directly into the extension cord. On my Challenger the fridge plug is under the bottom cabinet drawer closest to the fridge. This location is also where the ice maker shutoff valve is located.

As another individual stated, if this is going to be a recurring event consider having a 50 amp receptacle installed on your house. It is nice to plug in and not only cool the fridge but to run the AC units to cool the coach while you are loading.

Have you de-winterized the coach and sanitized the fresh water system? On a new Challenger you also need to de-winterize the ice maker.
We are going to put the house on the market in a few months and downsize, so I don't want to spend $$ on an electrician here. But will likely do so at the new house!

De-winterize??? Huh? Ok, first I've heard this. I'm going to have to do some research ASAP today!
Old 08-07-2017, 01:09 PM   #37

THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Mike, you "might" have a problem connecting to a GFI regardless of load. It seems to affect some motorhomes and not others.

I've never had much luck connecting any RV (owned or rented) to a GFI on front driveway, but never had an issue with same RVs plugged into standard house outlet without GFI. When I researched my problem I found it happens often, so no need to panic. If GFI trips try another outlet first if possible before giving up.

By the way, if you have a residential fridge, don't you also have an inverter and large battery bank? If so, can't you run fridge from batteries overnight assuming batteries are fully charged?
Thanks, good to know. I can run a cord to a standard outlet in the garage if that's the case.

I have 2 batteries (12 volt) and an inverter. Batteries are fully charged, yes. Do you think the fridge can run on them all night?
Old 08-07-2017, 01:10 PM   #38

THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
The Whirlpool fridge in my 2015 Challenger gets completely cold in one hour so loading it up with food once we turn it on and running it off the inverter while we drive, no problem at all. I also added an fridge/freezer temp display so we can monitor the fridge temp all the time.
That's great, if that's the case with mine then I'm worrying for nothing!
Old 08-07-2017, 01:13 PM   #39

THOR #7863
Thanks for all the helpful responses! I like the frozen water jugs too, can fill them with drinking water from my RO in the house and drink it when they defrost. I just need to look into the de-winterizing thing.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:13 PM   #40

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
If it's a motor home the fridge should be 12 volt just turn on use switch and put fridge on gas and it should start to cool down
I believe he said it was a residential refrigerator which is 110 volts only.