Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2018, 06:17 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Illinois
THOR #13918
Not Yet

Hello All
I have not yet purchased our Thor yet. After Months, and many models we found the one.
My wife wanted small to make it easier to drive, and less amount to clean.
I wanted functionality, and basement storage.
We decided the Thor Vegas 24.1 is it. Right now we are deciding new or used.
Many, many blogs, kindle books, and videos we are still on the fence.
One my big must have is Solar. We plan to do mostly boondock. Looking at the generator as for emergencies. I see so many steps from blogs, and videos.
Since I have been in Corporate IT many years since mainframe era. I am technically inclined but no my limitations. Found one kit that is pretty cut and dry from Grape Solar the 540W Kit even comes with a 1800 watt inverter.
The one question I have the integration with existing Vegas 24.1 power. The charging of the battery I got it. Its the connection to the transfer switch. Or this something that will need to be replaced. I have seen some solar installs has it combined with controller, inverter, transfer switch.
Well looking forward to the adventurers, and travels.
Still working my full-time office job, but becoming a full time RVer just working from remote.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:42 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Welcome to the forums.

If you haven't already: Download and read Ed's excellent crowd sourced owner's manual for Axis/Vegas units found here:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html

All the pieces are separate and independent. Such that you can install an inverter whenever you want and/or install solar independent of the inverter.

Thus you could pick up the RV and live with it for a while before putting anything in. The newer models come "pre-wired" for solar (basically a set of wires going from the roof to one of the bays).

For your question: Integrating the inverter with 120V power: There has been a really good thread on that recently:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...ries-8741.html

RV's are generally a work in process: Right after purchase there things you want to do and once those are done you'll notice other things you'll want to do and after that you'll notice more....

I just got back dropping off stuff at our RV--the spring projects are already starting to pile up.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:56 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We're so glad that you found us!
Happy Shopping!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:23 AM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum!

There are many 24.1 owners on this forum, and you'll get an answer to almost any question you could ask. The "search" tab will show you endless discussions about new vs. used. There are good reasons for each.

If this is your first RV, I personally would lean toward a used unit. When you buy a used rig, you expect to have some update and repair expenses. (Tires age out long before they wear out.) Many who buy new have unrealistic expectations that their new coach will be problem free.

Some of the issues addressed in Ed's manual were less of a problem in later years 2016 and up. A search for solar will yield a lot of comments, too.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:11 AM   #5

THOR #13918
Best Ever

Thank You all for information and support. We are looking forward to our purchase. However, the best is to have everything prepared before the jump.
My task is to research and to have our plans put together. The CFO is getting our financials already.
Happy trails to come.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:28 AM   #6

THOR #13918
100% agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Welcome to the forum!

There are many 24.1 owners on this forum, and you'll get an answer to almost any question you could ask. The "search" tab will show you endless discussions about new vs. used. There are good reasons for each.

If this is your first RV, I personally would lean toward a used unit. When you buy a used rig, you expect to have some update and repair expenses. (Tires age out long before they wear out.) Many who buy new have unrealistic expectations that their new coach will be problem free.

Some of the issues addressed in Ed's manual were less of a problem in later years 2016 and up. A search for solar will yield a lot of comments, too.
I have been in IT Corporate for about 30 years and one of the biggest lessons learned is nothing is plug and play, and the newest software is never bug-free.
With the list of pros and cons of both views new and used give us the moment to pause. So we both decided we when to get to the time and see what is available when we are ready.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:09 AM   #7

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Keep in mind..
Your 1st coach is a learning tool..
When You tour/view "In Person" any perspective coach..
View it First with all slides retracted,
If the coach is fully usable without the slides extended, then give it a second look.
(Think wally-docking,rest areas,truckstops...any where that you cannot/do not have room for the slides to be extended)

BUY USED! & buy one with everything you "think" you want and will need..
IF the perspective coach seems a bit small but still "DO-Able" .......REMEMBER!!!
What seemed small... becomes unbearably TINY after being Coop'd up" for a week or more due to weather...
(AKA.....Cabin Fever)

And.... You WILL make mistakes and have booboo's We all have.....(sometimes more than twice..)
Within a year or two you will discover..about the RV

What you love about the RV...
What you can kinda-sorta tolerate with the RV..
And what you absolutely hate about that !@#$%^%$#@! RV.
Then you can go get what you should have gotten in the first place..
Happy Hunting
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:08 PM   #8

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by olesailor View Post
I have been in IT Corporate for about 30 years and one of the biggest lessons learned is nothing is plug and play, and the newest software is never bug-free.
With the list of pros and cons of both views new and used give us the moment to pause. So we both decided we when to get to the time and see what is available when we are ready.

When the time comes, remember that no salesperson is your friend. Oh, they are friendly plenty, but their end goal is the commission from selling you something, anything! (Oh, this one is perfect for you, and a bargain!) And you thought used car salespeople were bad...
Buyer beware and happy hunting!
Old 12-11-2018, 12:22 PM   #9

THOR #13918
Great Advice

thank you all for the outstanding points.
Many good suggestions, and items to to be aware of.
Looking forward to changing my title from not yet to Thor ????.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:57 PM   #10

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I think you made a great choice. I was also looking or a used Axis when I first started looking. But we wanted a specific floor plan so it was near impossible to find what we wanted. Plus some of the used RV's were already showing wear and had funny smells to them. All of this forced us to purchase NEW and im glad we did.

If you purchase from the Dealer (well really anyone) shoot them a price about $10K below what they are asking (if new you should get 30 - 35% off of list priuce so keep that in mind when purchasing used ..... the previous owner might have only paid 70K new and is still asking for $65 .... take another 10K+ off of that at least).

Also with 540 watts of solar you mentioned (IMO) you really need to add 2 more battieries (so 4 total) to make use of it otherwise it just a waste of money. In a small RV like ours thier is not a lot of room so you might consider starting with 200 or 300 watts of solar for your TWO factory coach batteries first and see if they offer you enough juice for your needs.

This is what I plan on doing next year (or two). Thats something to think about before pulling out the big guns on solar for such a small RV.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:51 PM   #11

THOR #13918
Yep that is a real smart move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I think you made a great choice. I was also looking or a used Axis when I first started looking. But we wanted a specific floor plan so it was near impossible to find what we wanted. Plus some of the used RV's were already showing wear and had funny smells to them. All of this forced us to purchase NEW and im glad we did.

If you purchase from the Dealer (well really anyone) shoot them a price about $10K below what they are asking (if new you should get 30 - 35% off of list priuce so keep that in mind when purchasing used ..... the previous owner might have only paid 70K new and is still asking for $65 .... take another 10K+ off of that at least).

Also with 540 watts of solar you mentioned (IMO) you really need to add 2 more battieries (so 4 total) to make use of it otherwise it just a waste of money. In a small RV like ours thier is not a lot of room so you might consider starting with 200 or 300 watts of solar for your TWO factory coach batteries first and see if they offer you enough juice for your needs.

This is what I plan on doing next year (or two). Thats something to think about before pulling out the big guns on solar for such a small RV.
That really is a great idea. Keep my first expenses down. Just looking at the infrastructure of it "controller, inverter, charger,transfer switch,monitors,,"
then keep the existing batteries with 300 watt panels. Adding/changing batteries, and panels would be the easier part. Yep the one kicker I already noticed in the Vegas 24.1 battery bay being under the stairs, doesn't leave much room adding a larger bank. I believe either may change to lithium or move to the compartment towards the front passenger side. Always fun looking at the so called Sears Wish Book.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:15 PM   #12

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Yep, the problem is the entire interweb is like a Sears catalog....I keep finding stuff that I "need" (not "want" - LOL).

I put two AGM 6v under my steps on my Axis and I love them. Must better then the OEM with lots of reserve power. Hope to add 300 watt solar next year (200 is enough but like to have little more for cloudy days).

Another member just installed an Aims inverter (same as mine) and TWO Lithiums inside his RV in a dead space not used (you cant let Lithiums Freeze so most prefer to install inside with heat source when needed).

Personally I think my setup (two AGM's 6 volt) or Two Lithiums are the way to go if you want to safe space.

Let us know if you have more question and post some pictures once you made your purchase. Dont feel like you are rushed to pull the trigger. I looked for over a year before I purchased mine (and Im glad I did).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:17 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by olesailor View Post
That really is a great idea. Keep my first expenses down. Just looking at the infrastructure of it "controller, inverter, charger,transfer switch,monitors,,"
then keep the existing batteries with 300 watt panels. Adding/changing batteries, and panels would be the easier part. Yep the one kicker I already noticed in the Vegas 24.1 battery bay being under the stairs, doesn't leave much room adding a larger bank. I believe either may change to lithium or move to the compartment towards the front passenger side. Always fun looking at the so called Sears Wish Book.
Yeah frequently people re-purpose that front passenger bay for more batteries/electronic equipment.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:40 PM   #14

THOR #12206
Interesting you say that is small. We tend to boondock 3~~5 nights then to a State Park for one night. SHOWERS!, Laundry,etc. ALOT of State Parks Fl to CA have under 25 ft. limits for the BEST spots, etc. We are in a used 23H Thor Freedom Elite which just for the two of us(no pets) has been more than fine. We use a Honda 2000i generator and sometimes on board 4000 generator. We swapped out upon purchase two(2) deep cycle 12-volt golf cart batteries and have been more than fine. For $900(generator)$385.00(batteries) we're good to go and just came back from a 7 month 10,000 plus mile trip sands solar without any issues. Solar in a RV turns into a multi-thousand dollar boondoggle with no end in sight. Yes, you do have to adjust your electric needs but we do not watch TV, do Facebook on laptops,etc. We read, listen to weather radio and shortwave, watch the sunset and hit the hay. Sun goes down, to bed. Sun comes up, we hit the road! Otherwise with all the "get up" with solar I was at $4,000 and still could not run the AC.!! Make sure whatever you buy that it has a roof AC unit BELOW 13,500 otherwise you will NOT be running it with solar without a whole lot of capacity and expense. Happy Trails!
Old 12-16-2018, 03:12 PM   #15

State: Ohio
THOR #5210
Hate to be this way but dont buy a Thor product find a better built coach, also customer service is horrid.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:25 PM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsman41 View Post
Hate to be this way but dont buy a Thor product find a better built coach, also customer service is horrid.
Customer service from Thor or your dealer?

All of my dealings with Thor, on the phone and at their factory service center in Wakarusa, IN, have been professional and courteous with all issues addressed.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:50 PM   #17

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Customer service from Thor or your dealer?

All of my dealings with Thor, on the phone and at their factory service center in Wakarusa, IN, have been professional and courteous with all issues addressed.

SPOT ON!! Same here. biggest issue is the dealer network and Thor is working hard at correcting this. My experience with Thor Customer Service and my recent visit to the Factory Service Center is Wakarusa was Five Star!!

oldsman41...How can you complain about something when you don't own their products...your profile says "still looking"?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:51 PM   #18

THOR #13918
Wonderful world of Forums

Been around awhile like allot of us and been through tons of forums for different products. Also been around the world also being a sailor, so I have seen so many different cultures.
So I take anyone's thoughts as an opinion. From education, research or experience.
Glad to have them.
I always like additional data and references. As long as it is not heated I am happy.

To tell the truth even after I purchase and start traveling I think I will always be not yet.
I really like the quotes from Einstein.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new".
"Once you stop learning, you start dying".

That is my penny.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:04 PM   #19

State: Ohio
THOR #5210
Thor

That still looking was my first intro thread I bought a Gemini and have had it long enough to know their service is a joke. The cabinet problem i have is still a problem they didn’t fix and it is out of warranty so tough luck for me. For a mh that has a list price of over 100,000 bucks this is unreal. I didn’t pay any where near that but still i think it should be better made.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:40 PM   #20
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsman41 View Post
That still looking was my first intro thread I bought a Gemini and have had it long enough to know their service is a joke. The cabinet problem i have is still a problem they didn’t fix and it is out of warranty so tough luck for me. For a mh that has a list price of over 100,000 bucks this is unreal. I didn’t pay any where near that but still i think it should be better made.
Which service? Where did you take it? A dealer? If so that is your problem. The dealer network can vary from completely incompetent to the best gold star dealer in the world with very few in between.

You really have to make the distinction between Thor and the dealer when talking about "service" and communications.