Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2019, 07:19 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
THOR #14093
Rookie is my name...

Hello Everyone,
My wife and I have purchased our first RV six weeks ago. It is 2015 Thor Axis 24.1. We are very excited but have not done any trips yet. We live in Northern California/San Francisco Bay Area. I do not know anything about rving or... my motor home. At this point, on my daily trips to the RV storage, I am studying the coach trying to learn where all the stuff is and how it works. Now, I understand how much I need to learn. This may sounds funny to some of you experts but yesterday I was very excited practicing gray/black water dumping and...this was was easier than than I thought. I am glad I have found this site which already supplied me with bunch of valuable tips and information. I am looking forward to do more of that here!

Old 01-03-2019, 12:11 PM   #2

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Welcome to the forum
Old 01-03-2019, 12:38 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Congratulations and welcome.

If you haven't already make sure you download and read Ed's excellent crowd sourced Axis/Vegas owner's manual found here:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html

In addition make sure you log into the Thor Owner Resources page (have your VIN handy) and download all the manuals there:
https://www.thormotorcoach.com/owner-resource/

When you're done with that give Thor a call (also have your VIN handy) and ask for the construction/engineering drawings of the coach.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:56 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree: Ed's manual is "da bomb"!
Welcome aboard!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:36 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Welcome to the forum. You have found the right place to learn everything about your RV.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

You doing the right thing by familiarizing yourself with everything first. This will help when you get to the first couple of campsites..... hopefully wont be saying "how do I do this again"? LOL
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:49 PM   #6

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysiek View Post
Hello Everyone,
My wife and I have purchased our first RV six weeks ago. It is 2015 Thor Axis 24.1. We are very excited but have not done any trips yet. We live in Northern California/San Francisco Bay Area. I do not know anything about rving or... my motor home. At this point, on my daily trips to the RV storage, I am studying the coach trying to learn where all the stuff is and how it works. Now, I understand how much I need to learn. This may sounds funny to some of you experts but yesterday I was very excited practicing gray/black water dumping[emoji38] and...this was was easier than than I thought. I am glad I have found this site which already supplied me with bunch of valuable tips and information. I am looking forward to do more of that here!
That's a good start. You maybe should get a hardback notebook with pages to write in all the things to do IE CAMP set up, tear down, RV leveling, outside power, fresh water, sewer, propane, heating, cooling, slide out maintenance, battery maintenance, winter storage, air pressure in tires, warranty work, who does your warranty work...etc and keep a log on all your repairs.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:23 PM   #7

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
Congratulations! Welcome to our group!
Old 01-03-2019, 08:13 PM   #8

THOR #14093
Good suggestions

Jamie,

I allready have downloaded Ed's manual. What an incredible source of information for guys like me. I briefly went thru some of the manual's pages. This stuff is priceless and should be included with any RV purchase instead of manufacturer literature or be available for purchase. Again, amazing material.

Thank you for sending me your checklist. I am going to make myself a form like that and carry that with me. Happy New Year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Congratulations and welcome.

If you haven't already make sure you download and read Ed's excellent crowd sourced Axis/Vegas owner's manual found here:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html

In addition make sure you log into the Thor Owner Resources page (have your VIN handy) and download all the manuals there:
https://www.thormotorcoach.com/owner-resource/

When you're done with that give Thor a call (also have your VIN handy) and ask for the construction/engineering drawings of the coach.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:21 PM   #9

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Welcome! These are bunch of friendly, knowledgeable people. If possible do some driveway camping to run yourself and the MH thru some functions.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:23 PM   #10

THOR #14093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Welcome to the forum. You have found the right place to learn everything about your RV.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

You doing the right thing by familiarizing yourself with everything first. This will help when you get to the first couple of campsites..... hopefully wont be saying "how do I do this again"? LOL
Thank you.
Since you mentioned. Just watched with my boys the movie "RV" with Robin Williams. I might have some nightmares night before my first trip. That is why I am trying to learn as much as possible about the coach knowing well that I will still look like a rookie setting up for the first time. Well, I will survive.��
Old 01-07-2019, 12:41 PM   #11

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Welcome.
When something stumps you, this forum, will either have a thread already, or you can create one under the many categories.
Maybe see you down the road... happy RVing!
Old 01-07-2019, 02:28 PM   #12

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Welcome

One other suggestion to you is to slow down when both setting up at your site and tearing down when getting ready to hit the road. Make sure you walk around the rig before you head out, making sure that all the storage doors are shut and locked and that your sewer dump is secured properly. I always laugh about our first weekend trip where we ended up getting to the destination at night. I wondered why the drivers to the right of us seemed to be illuminated.... yep, left the porch light on. Now I call it the "nerd" light. I always wrap up an outing by saying it was a great trip, nothing broken, no accidents and a good time. Enjoy.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:58 PM   #13

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
CONFIDENCE equals Experience X Time...

there's few other ways around it - and getting your experience ahead of 'real world' situations will provide you with much more confidence going into your first 'trip'...

most fellow RVrs are also ready and willing to help, with advice, or even sometime a hand

from experience, though, don't rely on 'others' too much when backing into a site - get out and SEE for yourself, as the coach is yours, the payment is yours, and the insurance claim will be yours, no matter how many other 'helpful' neighbors are trying to guide you.
Own it, it's yours. Take your time, there's no rush. Go slow, slow wins the game : )

When getting ready to leave, the same rule applies - don't get sidetracked by good-meaning neighbors - get your checklist done, then have conversations. Most every motorhome has safety measures to help keep owners from 'forgetting' something important, but few have any features to keep you from forgetting to unplug your water, or your sewer, or worse - your Shore Power! Do those first.

enjoy!
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:20 PM   #14

THOR #14093
Excellent points.Thank you ALL.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:59 AM   #15

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Thank you. Since you mentioned. Just watched with my boys the movie "RV" with Robin Williams. I might have some nightmares night before my first trip. That is why I am trying to learn as much as possible about the coach knowing well that I will still look like a rookie setting up for the first time. Well, I will survive.��

Hey, I watched the movie "Money Pit" right after I bought my first house. Same queasy feeling. Don't worry about what you look like, few will be paying any attention, at least until you back into something or sideswipe a tree. Then you'll have lots of "admirers"! Try to do some short trips and try to avoid setting up after dark. Most people will be "old pros" in no time, while a few seem to never quite get the hang of it and should go back to using motels. You'll know which you are...
Old 01-08-2019, 01:18 AM   #16

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
Welcome Rysiek,

Sacramento Valley here. Its amazing how fast you learn by heading to a nearby campground and just play with things. When I took delivery on my 5th wheel a few years back I went streight to a camp ground for 2 days. Just me. No distractions and it was so helpful I did the same thing 2 years ago with our new motorhome.

Good Luck and great travels.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:22 AM   #17

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Hey, I watched the movie "Money Pit" right after I bought my first house. Same queasy feeling. Don't worry about what you look like, few will be paying any attention, at least until you back into something or sideswipe a tree. Then you'll have lots of "admirers"! Try to do some short trips and try to avoid setting up after dark. Most people will be "old pros" in no time, while a few seem to never quite get the hang of it and should go back to using motels. You'll know which you are...
Yeah, don't try to find a stopping place at night. Most CGs are the same but not all. Sides that most of the food joints will be closed. Finding a place for your pet to go at night? Pppttt. Set up for TV? Nope.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:37 AM   #18

THOR #14093
I really like this Forum more and more��
THANK YOU!!!
Old 01-12-2019, 10:01 PM   #19

Model: Vegas 25.1
THOR #7113
Thor Axis/Vegas Suspension

Quote:
Hello Everyone,
My wife and I have purchased our first RV six weeks ago. It is 2015 Thor Axis 24.1. We are very excited but have not done any trips yet. We live in Northern California/San Francisco Bay Area. I do not know anything about rving or... my motor home. At this point, on my daily trips to the RV storage, I am studying the coach trying to learn where all the stuff is and how it works. Now, I understand how much I need to learn. This may sounds funny to some of you experts but yesterday I was very excited practicing gray/black water dumping: lol: and...this was was easier than than I thought. I am glad I have found this site which already supplied me with bunch of valuable tips and information. I am looking forward to do more of that here!
The Axis and Vegas are basically the same RV with just a different inside layout. I have the 2015 Vegas 24.1 and made upgrades myself. Check to see if your suspension has been upgraded. If not, you definitely want to do that ASAP, or you'll be all over the road. When Thor build an RV they purchase the chassis from a dealer (Usually Ford) then extend the rear another 4 feet or so and place their RV coach on it. They DO NOT upgrade suspensions, so the RV is trying to handle the extra weight and length with a small size suspension. Add upgraded HD shocks, heavier anti sway bars, a steering stabilizer and levelers for starters. If you haul or tow heavy loads, also install rear air bags to help with that.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:38 AM   #20

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
Welcome! These are bunch of friendly, knowledgeable people. If possible do some driveway camping to run yourself and the MH thru some functions.
Yeah, that's a good idea. Neighbors get to watch an the might learn something too. Get a cooler with some beer an a BBQ grill going, I phone the stuff, put it on a disc, just in case. Who knows?