Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2018, 03:06 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
For what it’s worth, September wholesale shipments to dealers were down by 29% compared to last September, with exception of van campers (even smaller than RUVs) which were up by 23%.

Not long ago Class As outsold Class B van campers by 10:1 ratio, and in September shipments were just under 3:1. I’m not making a case for van campers (Class B); just saying that there’s been a significant shift in what’s being purchased, with trend towards smaller rigs.

Sales guys always try to push larger and more expensive units because “you’ll always trade up in size”.
Hate the commode in the shower. We've talked to many with Bs. Most say they bought so they didn't have to tow. THing is, every time you want to motor away, you have to disconnect and reconnect later. More than I thought said they use the showers at the RV camp. I want an RV that I don't HAVE to use other showers and bathrooms but maybe that's just me. We traded a C to a 30' A for more room and an extra slide. PErsonally, I would never consider a van or class B....IMHO

Old 11-04-2018, 08:20 PM   #62

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #8527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Not sure I (personally) see the point of the Axis/Vegas models. They are small which is a positive thing for many folks but they have all the load limitations of the E chassis with none of the advantages. If I wanted a small coach I’d get a class C. More of the cab is Ford (a good thing, I think) and there are several inherent convenience and safety advantages like air bags, doors and warning alerts. I have a 29 foot class A and have found it to be a terrific balance of size, load capacity and features. But that’s just me. Lots of folks love the little As. Good luck!
Aug! Had Ford cab...so antiquated....took too many steps just for cruise control..hated it on my 2018 Jayco.. My 2001 Aztec Pontoac Aztec has a more modern dash.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:29 PM   #63

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
Hate the commode in the shower. We've talked to many with Bs. Most say they bought so they didn't have to tow. THing is, every time you want to motor away, you have to disconnect and reconnect later. More than I thought said they use the showers at the RV camp. I want an RV that I don't HAVE to use other showers and bathrooms but maybe that's just me. We traded a C to a 30' A for more room and an extra slide. PErsonally, I would never consider a van or class B....IMHO

I completely agree about wet baths which are so common in Class Bs and small trailers. In fairness, there have also been a few small As and Cs with wet baths. More importantly, there are some Bs with dry baths — one pictured below. These Bs with dry baths are very rare though because wet baths are primarily used to save space, and space is of greater value the smaller the RV.

To your point on size — it all comes down to personal needs and how the motorhome will be used. I just got back today from boondocking one night at a ball game which involved a lot of driving and no “camping”. For these types of events I far prefer a B, but will admit to wanting a lot more space. A much larger B with a dry bath would be great for us, although not like the rear bath in picture below. That layout reduces the utility aspect of a van too much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D0249639-2BA7-46C4-8BE9-4157B1A4A670.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	13865  
Old 11-04-2018, 10:10 PM   #64

Model: Axis 25.6
State: Arizona
THOR #4510
RUVS fill an important niche in the RV world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Not sure I (personally) see the point of the Axis/Vegas models. They are small which is a positive thing for many folks but they have all the load limitations of the E chassis with none of the advantages. If I wanted a small coach I’d get a class C. More of the cab is Ford (a good thing, I think) and there are several inherent convenience and safety advantages like air bags, doors and warning alerts. I have a 29 foot class A and have found it to be a terrific balance of size, load capacity and features. But that’s just me. Lots of folks love the little As. Good luck!
We had two class C's before getting the 25.2 Vegas. Trading was the right thing to do.
If the 25.6 or the 27.7 had been available at the time, we would have chosen one of them over the 25.2.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:30 AM   #65

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: Georgia
THOR #13014
Was a Vegas Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDoherty View Post
Why did you chose a mini Class A over a full size?
I am on the brink of buying a 28' to 30' and need someone to point out what advantages/disadvantages there are!! How do the Axis/Vegas handle the road on much smaller tires??
Is it a concern at all??
Bought a 2018 Vegas last January, at 3,300 miles we traded in for a 2016 Thor Miramar and I am very happy now. Reasons:
1. we needed 2 AC systems. 1 AC was not enough in hot climates during the day. Once the sun set it was fine, but barely enough in daytime.
2. The bathroom in the 25.5 was too small to change clothes in for a shower. We were forced to section off half the coach with the paper/fabric accordion door.
3. Sofa bed has a hard bar in the middle that we could not rectify. My husband and I were forced to use the really hard beds (convertible to a king bed) in the back. The beds in the back were really for the boys that only occasionally travel with us.
4. There are no seatbelts for the two couches in the back and NO ONE wanted the liability of reinforcing the floor and adding more for us.
5. Steering is very loose (that is the way the F350 chassis comes). Without a full load of water (and sometimes with) trucks passing become a burden to hold your lane. I also have a old shoulder issue that was aggravated by this.
6. No pass through storage made it a challenge to carry everything we wanted.

The Miramar does much better on the road. We went from 9.8 mpg to 8.2 with the new coach. ALL the beds are comfortable. Bathroom is roomier. Got 2 ACs, an inverter and an auto gen start. Have pass thorough storage now with PLENTY of room to spare. Also, my mom has bone cancer and needs to be able to use the whole coach to elevate her legs, so we now have the room to allow her to do that. We had already purchased a toad. The Vegas is small, but it is still a hassle in downtown areas to park. We found that we were renting cars pretty often. Liked the Vegas, LOVE the Miramar.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-05-2018, 03:40 AM   #66

THOR #13014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Well I think it comes down to price for most folks. Plus only a few floor plans for the Axis / Vegas - so they are not for everyone. If you have a large family you can sleep more in a C - esp the longer ones.
The 2019s have a couple of new floor plans, and now offer a dinette and coach in the same coach!
Old 11-05-2018, 03:58 AM   #67

THOR #13014
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDoherty View Post
I cannot see any differences!!
Videos are no help or spec sheets.
Looking at 27.7
Thanks for all you input
Salesman said only difference is interior colors, outside graphics and headlights.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:01 PM   #68

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAPonygirl View Post
The 2019s have a couple of new floor plans, and now offer a dinette and coach in the same coach!
Yeah, they actually they came out in the 2018 but I already purchased my 2017 before anyone knew two new floor plans.

I really like the 27.7 floor plan but the outside store is about half of what I have now. My 25.4 had 70 cu foot of outside storage. The largest of all of the Axis/Vegas floor plans. That was one of the biggest selling points of that floor plan to me.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:03 PM   #69

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAPonygirl View Post
Salesman said only difference is interior colors, outside graphics and headlights.
Well the entire front cap is a different shape with headlights, grill, driving light incorporated. But otherwise he is correct.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 11-05-2018, 02:59 PM   #70

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Colorado
THOR #10103
We traded or 24SS Class C Jayco for a 2017 ACE 29.2 after a lot of research and looking into different models. I like the 27.7 but the wife didn't like the bed. They only different in length by less than a foot. My goal was to stay under 30 feet. After some minor quality issue around fit and finish we couldn't be happier with our choice. Big enough not to feel cramped but small enough to camp any place we want to.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:01 PM   #71
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Well the entire front cap is a different shape with headlights, grill, driving light incorporated. But otherwise he is correct.
Not entirely: I'm sure they both use the same piece of glass. Thus just about everything below the wipers is a little different.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:04 PM   #72

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Not entirely: I'm sure they both use the same piece of glass. Thus just about everything below the wipers is a little different.
Yeah - your right. I should have said "everyhing below the windsheld" is different (not just the headlights).
Old 11-05-2018, 10:40 PM   #73

Model: Axis 25.4
State: Tennessee
THOR #12170
A Different Reason

What led us to the Axis was my wife's small stature. Unless we got a power seat, she could not comfortably reach the pedals when she drove. The RUV was not even on our radar, we walked right by Axis/Vegas several times. Started looking at Class C's. A salesman showed us a used Axis, thinking my wife could fit better. She sat in it and really liked it. It was a 24.1 and she did not like the split beds, even though you can make it a king. If she liked it, we would probably have it. Looked and found the 25.4 which we both like.

The main thing that we both like over the C is the large cab with lots of view. I'm 6'2" and the Axis has more leg room/space that the C's we looked at.

So, I guess, our decision was based on both our statures, albeit at different ends of the spectrum!
Old 11-05-2018, 11:02 PM   #74

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark4Jesus View Post
What led us to the Axis was my wife's small stature. Unless we got a power seat, she could not comfortably reach the pedals when she drove. The RUV was not even on our radar, we walked right by Axis/Vegas several times. Started looking at Class C's. A salesman showed us a used Axis, thinking my wife could fit better. She sat in it and really liked it. It was a 24.1 and she did not like the split beds, even though you can make it a king. If she liked it, we would probably have it. Looked and found the 25.4 which we both like.

The main thing that we both like over the C is the large cab with lots of view. I'm 6'2" and the Axis has more leg room/space that the C's we looked at.

So, I guess, our decision was based on both our statures, albeit at different ends of the spectrum!
Yep, me an my wife love our Axis 25.4 (our is a 2017). She is on the short side and im more normal size. I really love the 70 cu foot of storage on our floor plan. I have everything you can think of and still have room to add more junk (shopping on weekends or if she buys large souvenirs). What I like is that I have room to look around for what I need in my rear storage compartements without unloading it all to get to it.