Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2018, 01:16 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ontario
THOR #13564
RUV vs full size Class A

Why did you chose a mini Class A over a full size?
I am on the brink of buying a 28' to 30' and need someone to point out what advantages/disadvantages there are!! How do the Axis/Vegas handle the road on much smaller tires??
Is it a concern at all??

Old 10-28-2018, 01:24 PM   #2

State: California
THOR #9612
I had to put front rear stablerizer on mine, rides great now...ACE 29.3
Old 10-28-2018, 01:30 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Well the main advantage to an Axis/Vegas is obvious: Its smaller size makes it fit in places where a larger class A wouldn't.

Conversely you do lose the interior space that a larger class A affords.

Personally we love our Axis: Wasn't even considering something larger when we saw it (Wanted something small that would fit in our drive way, was easy to drive, etc. and didn't particularly like what the class C's had to offer).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:32 PM   #4

THOR #13564
Do I look at JayCo Alante 26' too as they give the JRIDE system?
Old 10-28-2018, 01:43 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Interesting: JRide looks like all the mods many people make on their motorhomes, just from the factory. Nice (hmm Jayco is part of the Thor family..wonder if that will make its way throughout the rest of the family).

Aside from that the Alante rides on an F-53 chassis which makes it larger than the Axis/Vegas units. Even though they make a 26' version it still will be taller and wider.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:47 PM   #6

THOR #13564
A salesman told me it drives like a car??????
Old 10-28-2018, 01:54 PM   #7

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
Don't believe him. I have a Jayco Alante 26AY, and it definitely doesn't drive like a car, just like a oversize pickup
Old 10-28-2018, 02:05 PM   #8

THOR #13564
Two salesman from different dealerships.....on Vegas/Axis
One says it drIves like a car
Second salesman tells me since the tires are only 16 inch they are not a smooth ride.
Thanks guys
I am female, have owned 2 fifth wheels and am used to pulling around a 35 ft horse trailer....so all your info is appreciated.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:35 PM   #9

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDoherty View Post
Two salesman from different dealerships.....on Vegas/Axis
One says it drIves like a car
Second salesman tells me since the tires are only 16 inch they are not a smooth ride.
Thanks guys
I am female, have owned 2 fifth wheels and am used to pulling around a 35 ft horse trailer....so all your info is appreciated.
I have heard many on this forum comment on the negative side about the ride on their rigs no matter the size of the tires. Our Axis with 16" tires has a good ride after the alignment, Koni shocks, Saf-T-Plus and front Sumo springs. No complaints with the MichelinX tires that came on it either. Sorry to hurt any feelings but sales people, at least most of them, are to be ignored. Don't rely on what they say and do your own research if you want to make an informed decision. I would say that the only down side to a small Class A like the Axis is the size of the shower.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:13 PM   #10

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post

....cut.... I would say that the only down side to a small Class A like the Axis is the size of the shower.
All RUV showers are not the same size. Your 24.1 is indeed smaller, but other floorplans have showers as large as 30X36 which are larger than on some full-size Class As.

A 24X36 is very common in RV industry.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:16 PM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Yeah the 24.1 has the smallest shower of the Axis/Vegas line. If you don't like it look at other floorplans.

I would say that the Axis/Vegas units drive like a large van (which, essentially, they are).
Old 10-28-2018, 04:27 PM   #12

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDoherty View Post
A salesman told me it drives like a car??????
Well... he is right. You push down on the accelerator and it goes, push down on the brake and it stops and turn the wheel and it turns .... just like a car.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:00 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Minnesota
THOR #7948
We traded our 25.2 Axis in on a Hurricane 29M. The ride is virtually the same after investing in ride enhancements on both, and I don’t find the Hurricane harder to maneuver or park. The differences are that the Hurricane is roomier while the Axis is smaller and less expensive to maintain and drive. To that point, we paid about 3 times more for the Hurricane ride enhancements than the Axis. For us, it boiled down to the floor plan versus costs. If the Axis 27.7 had been available when we traded, we might still have an Axis today.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:01 PM   #14

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
We love our Vegas 24.1 (after some mods), the size fits where we go and the small shower has FORCED me to go on a diet! Tom, I agree and if the 27.7 models were more widely available I might trade in my 24.1 (I have to drive 165 miles just to see the only one on the lot in NC, Spruce Pines to be exact). Is there something wrong with this floor plan or is it a marketing strategy?

DocMike

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:16 PM   #15

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Not sure I (personally) see the point of the Axis/Vegas models. They are small which is a positive thing for many folks but they have all the load limitations of the E chassis with none of the advantages. If I wanted a small coach I’d get a class C. More of the cab is Ford (a good thing, I think) and there are several inherent convenience and safety advantages like air bags, doors and warning alerts. I have a 29 foot class A and have found it to be a terrific balance of size, load capacity and features. But that’s just me. Lots of folks love the little As. Good luck!
Old 10-28-2018, 09:26 PM   #16

Model: 2016 Axis 25.2
THOR #12340
We had a 25 foot class C for 30 days. We spent 11 days on the road. When we got home we immediately traded for the Axis 25.2 and have zero regrets. We love the floor plan, larger then most shower, small size for a class A, and the ability to get that thing anywhere we want to go. It's got plenty of torque and power
Old 10-28-2018, 11:39 PM   #17

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
I had a Class C on an E-350 chassis and put 36,000 miles on it in three years including from Florida to Alaska and back. I traded it in for a Vegas 24.1 (which I also took to Alaska and back and now have an Axis 24.1. I’ve put 45,000 miles on the two of them in 4 years. I love the ride in the Vegas/Axis over my Class C and the spaciousness that the wide and high cab adds to the living space. I looked hard at going a little bigger either in an F53 chassis or larger Class C, but after looking at everything out there I bought another Vegas/Axis and I have not been sorry. My wife and I have lived in the Vegas/Axis for up to 4 months at a time and driven thousands of miles every year. Not saying that a class C might be best for you. Just one perspective from me.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:41 AM   #18

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
All RUV showers are not the same size. Your 24.1 is indeed smaller, but other floorplans have showers as large as 30X36 which are larger than on some full-size Class As.

A 24X36 is very common in RV industry.
Yes, I guess I didn't specifically say the 24.1. We will have had ours for three years this January and still are happy with it other than the minor/major issue of possible front windows leaking....
Old 10-29-2018, 12:44 AM   #19

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
We had a 33' Class A with two slides for several years. Before that, we had a fifth wheel. Contrary to our friends Tom and Linda, we found that we didn't require all of the living area the Class A offered. Both of the slides had given us problems, and the power steps, too. Replacing the bigger tires cost almost twice as much.

Our Vegas 25.2 has about 2/3 of the storage inside, and about 2/3 of the storage outside, compared to our previous Class A. We have found that is enough for us and the way we travel. I could maneuver the 33' just fine, but it is easier to get into and out of gas stations and state parks with the smaller rig.

Not all couples can handle being in closer contact, and if you have more or bigger pets that might influence your decision. When we were shopping, we spent a couple of hours in a Winnie Travato at an RV show and decided that although we liked it's smaller footprint, it was too compact for us. We wanted a walk around queen bed and like the bigger shower of the 25.2.

PS. Some salespeople will tell you anything to get the commission from your purchase. A big RV that drives like a car? Wondering if his nose grew with that zinger!
Old 10-29-2018, 12:46 PM   #20

Model: Miramar
State: Tennessee
THOR #12286
We were all set to purchase a 2019 Thor Vegas 27.7. We looked at the 2018 and liked the layout. My wife insisted on an electric induction cooktop plus I wanted to wait on the FireFly Multiplex system, both of which were coming out on the 2019 model.

I started researching adding an inverter, leveling jacks and replacing the refrigerator with an all electric model. My mods would be raising the "real cost" of the Vegas.

I guess it was at this point that I started looking at a Class A that already had all of my modification as part of the standard package. I found a pretty good deal on my Class A Miramar and that sealed the deal.

As the salesman was driving us out to our MH for the first time, we drove past the Vegas. I told him that I had almost decided to buy the Vegas. His response was that he had just saved me $20,000. He continued that the Vegas was a good coach but the dealership had some buyers who would within a year, trade them in on a bigger Class A.

Who was it that previously posted that a salesman will say anything to make (or keep) the sale?

Anyway, real happy with my Miramar.

MiramarTN
MiramarTN is offline   Reply With Quote