Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2018, 01:35 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
For what it’s worth, September wholesale shipments to dealers were down by 29% compared to last September, with exception of van campers (even smaller than RUVs) which were up by 23%.

Not long ago Class As outsold Class B van campers by 10:1 ratio, and in September shipments were just under 3:1. I’m not making a case for van campers (Class B); just saying that there’s been a significant shift in what’s being purchased, with trend towards smaller rigs.

Sales guys always try to push larger and more expensive units because “you’ll always trade up in size”.

Old 10-29-2018, 04:27 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDoherty View Post
Why did you chose a mini Class A over a full size?
I am on the brink of buying a 28' to 30' and need someone to point out what advantages/disadvantages there are!! How do the Axis/Vegas handle the road on much smaller tires??
Is it a concern at all??
We wanted something small but not too small. Plus we really like the looks of the Axis/Vegas models.

In additon to camping trips I use mine on several weekends a year for "day trips" to the trail heads (Mtn Biker) while my wife and my Mom (Alz patient) say in the RV for a couple of hours (AC and TV on) I come back, take a shower and we eat lunch and do some sight seeing on the long way home.

So we love the size and looks of our RV.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:40 PM   #23

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Not sure I (personally) see the point of the Axis/Vegas models. They are small which is a positive thing for many folks but they have all the load limitations of the E chassis with none of the advantages. If I wanted a small coach I’d get a class C. More of the cab is Ford (a good thing, I think) and there are several inherent convenience and safety advantages like air bags, doors and warning alerts. I have a 29 foot class A and have found it to be a terrific balance of size, load capacity and features. But that’s just me. Lots of folks love the little As. Good luck!
To each his own I guess.

We looked the C Class and we didnt like it.... The cockpit is way too small. Im 175# and 5-10 tall and I had a hard time getting in an out of the driver seat to go in the back (so im not a big guy and it was a problem). Plus my wife felt costerfobic in the C class between the tight cock pit and other overhanging bunk.

Plus We like the big front windshield of our Axis, plenty of room for us in teh cockpit, plus a work station!

Another important point was many of the small C class were more stripped down IMO. They had the old style windows, Most were white (we like the beige color better), Smaller holding tanks, only one or two TV (we have 3).

My Axis floor plan has 70 cu foot of cargo so that was a good selling point for me.

Plus IMO the Axis / Vegas just looks better. More upscale compared to a C Class.

We get many people (in parking lots, Trail heads or shopping centers.) that ask us about it and tell us how they like the way it looks.

I guess thats why they sell many diff RV's at diff price ranges.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 10-29-2018, 04:43 PM   #24

THOR #12231
PS - It has all of the "Advantages" of the E chassis.

8000 # tow hitch, good ride, small size.

I dont know of any dis-advantages over a C class.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:31 PM   #25
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If you're really into 45 D.P.'s: an RUV is about like bringing a knife to a gunfight!

But if you're into "short & sweet": those big rigs can make you feel as if you're sword-fighting inside a broom closet...

Which size rig really fits your needs bestest?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:31 PM   #26
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We get asked one or two times a season about the coach by passer's by.

One year on our way back into the US from a Canada trip the border guy in the booth asked more about the coach than the usual "Citizenship?" etc. questions ! LOL
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:47 PM   #27

THOR #12231
Yeah I get people that will go out of their way (when leaving Targe/ WM) to look at my RV in parking lots.

If im outside the RV they will stop ask me about it and they shocked it has the v10 and can two up to 8K#.

I had a few at the camp grounds come over and ask me a ton a question.

Its definitely a looker. LOL.

I find myself looking at other RV's going down the road too!

When I was younger I would look at the girls driving or the sports cars or Jeeps/Trucks. Now that im older I look at the RV's. LOL. What happened to me. LOL (I know the answer - time).
Old 10-29-2018, 06:30 PM   #28

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
PS - It has all of the "Advantages" of the E chassis.

8000 # tow hitch, good ride, small size.

I dont know of any dis-advantages over a C class.

I like the Axis 24.1 a lot, and would have purchased one years ago if I could have ordered one without the slide (and dinette in place of couch)).

Having said that, if I compare objectively, there are many disadvantages to an Axis versus similar Class C. Granted, these may not be that important to you, but they are significant.

A Class C has front doors and powered roll-up windows.
The dash is built to Ford auto standards.
There are air bags.
The windshield is far cheaper to replace.
Wipers, motors, and controls are to Ford auto standards.
Dash A/C is all Ford.
Hood and hinges are to Ford auto standards.
Underwood wiring is to Ford auto standard.
Access to battery and fluid checks are far better.

I could go on, but my point is simply that anything associated with the cab will be designed and manufactured to a completely different quality standard. Personally, I can overlook many of these disadvantages, but it doesn’t mean they are not real.

The Axis/Vegas cab does feel more open, but the windshield feels like it’s a mile away from driver, which I don’t particularly like.

Finally, the Axis/Vegas cost is significantly higher. Just in last few days I was comparing Chateau 25V and Axis 24.1, and the MSRP of Axis is much higher. It includes a few options, but I doubt they would represent more than $1,000 to $2,000 at most.

This is 25V Class C below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	708030FA-3F3E-4BA6-8BC9-F1E4059A3955.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	13715  
Old 10-29-2018, 06:31 PM   #29

THOR #2121
Note much higher Axis cost:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	06ECF02E-B8CE-484A-9ADC-7A0F3A6D6E87.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	13716  
Old 10-29-2018, 06:58 PM   #30

THOR #2121
P.S. — Class Cs (most are Ford E-Series) outsell Class As (most are Ford F53). And of all Class As industry wide, a small percentage are Axis and Vegas. We can conclude that given a choice, more buyers choose Class Cs over Axis/Vegas.

I still like the Axis a lot.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:11 PM   #31

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
P.S. — Class Cs (most are Ford E-Series) outsell Class As (most are Ford F53). And of all Class As industry wide, a small percentage are Axis and Vegas. We can conclude that given a choice, more buyers choose Class Cs over Axis/Vegas.

I still like the Axis a lot.
Well I think it comes down to price for most folks. Plus only a few floor plans for the Axis / Vegas - so they are not for everyone. If you have a large family you can sleep more in a C - esp the longer ones.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:15 PM   #32

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
IMHO: After paying close to $500 for a new engine bay battery (with "install") in our Vegas 24.1 I can see at least one advantage in keeping the engine compartment as close to stock (Ford Auto Industry spec's) as is possible.

DocMike

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:34 PM   #33

THOR #2121
Agree — I got a new Ford OEM windshield installed for around $300. A Class A can be as much as 10 times more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Well I think it comes down to price for most folks. Plus only a few floor plans for the Axis / Vegas - so they are not for everyone. If you have a large family you can sleep more in a C - esp the longer ones.
That’s an interesting but different discussion. If E-Series-based Class A motorhomes were in enough demand, not only would Thor manufacture more floorplans, but so would other manufacturers. I spoke with a couple of factory reps at RV SuperShow who flatly said they would never build a Class A on Stripped E-series chassis. Go figure, because I’d like more choices in that segment.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:53 PM   #34

THOR #12231
Quote:
I like the Axis 24.1 a lot, and would have purchased one years ago if I could have ordered one without the slide (and dinette in place of couch)).

Having said that, if I compare objectively, there are many disadvantages to an Axis versus similar Class C. Granted, these may not be that important to you, but they are significant.

A Class C has front doors and powered roll-up windows.
The dash is built to Ford auto standards.
There are air bags.
The windshield is far cheaper to replace.
Wipers, motors, and controls are to Ford auto standards.
Dash A/C is all Ford.
Hood and hinges are to Ford auto standards.
Underwood wiring is to Ford auto standard.
Access to battery and fluid checks are far better.

I could go on, but my point is simply that anything associated with the cab will be designed and manufactured to a completely different quality standard. Personally, I can overlook many of these disadvantages, but it doesn’t mean they are not real.

The Axis/Vegas cab does feel more open, but the windshield feels like it’s a mile away from driver, which I don’t particularly like.

Finally, the Axis/Vegas cost is significantly higher. Just in last few days I was comparing Chateau 25V and Axis 24.1, and the MSRP of Axis is much higher. It includes a few options, but I doubt they would represent more than $1,000 to $2,000 at most.

This is 25V Class C below:
Yep I looked at all of this when I purchased my Axis.

I had a pro/con list.

I think in the long run with the front end and windows being normal E van stuff .....the C would be easier and cheaper to fix and repair. And I really like to have Air bags.

But we looked at the moble office aspect for me (Self employed) and the cab size for both of us not to mention looks. We dont use the drop down bunk at all. But Im glad we purchased the Axis.

Its the right size and features for us right now.

When I retire I might step up to a Hurricane (or whatever they have in this price range that is around 30 - 33 foot in size).
Old 10-29-2018, 08:28 PM   #35

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
We looked at a lot of machines class A and class C.

We ended up with the Vegas 24.1 after looking at multiple units. The overall combination of size and simplicity of unit makes it very easy to use. A key point was/is that we use to tow open racecar trailer to track every 2 weeks. It needs to be usable without a lot of prep and get reasonable milage.

We did consider the single point entry, lack of air bags and huge windshield. None of these were deal breakers for us. The interior appointments seemed nicer than my buddies C, He has compartment lights for inside lighting. Actually minor stuff but gives impression of motorhome instead of modified van.

After 2 1/2 years of service and 18,000 miles we are still happy with our choice. We had considered going bigger but it seems to add more hassle in trade for more space.

Everyone is different, but this meets our needs at a reasonable cost.

It does help that I can do virtually anything on unit. Saves a ton of money for maintenance, upgrades and repairs.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:02 PM   #36
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
We like our rigs just like my High-School transcript: "C's only"!
The Class A rigs are just too much for me to drive...
And I like my toilet and shower to NOT intersect...
Old 10-29-2018, 10:46 PM   #37

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
We like our rigs just like my High-School transcript: "C's only"!
The Class A rigs are just too much for me to drive...
And I like my toilet and shower to NOT intersect...
Aren’t Axis and Vegas smaller than your previous Class C toy hauler? Should be no more difficult to drive.

Beyond that, Thor and other manufacturers could build smaller Class As if they wanted. An even smaller Class A similar in size to your Wayferer could be built on a lighter-duty E-Series. Ford could bring back the SRW Stripped chassis if there was enough demand — they made great walk-in step vans.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	91CC8B7F-99FB-4F01-87F3-10794EAA53DD.jpeg
Views:	113
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	13720  
Old 10-30-2018, 12:16 PM   #38
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
There's more to it than the question of length, height, width, and weight...
We also like airbags!

The manufacturers could certainly build smaller rigs: they'd just be doing it at the same time that they're cutting their own throats.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:48 PM   #39

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Note much higher Axis cost:
Agree with your points about the Ford Class C set up as far as maintenance... absolutely. The driving aspect was more important for us. We figured that if it wasn't comfortable to drive, it would not be a good trip. The $119k MSRP means pretty much nothing. For $5-$10k more, you can buy a 32' Tiffin Allegro (2018) in SoCal now.... I would suspect that a 24.1 Axis could be dealt down to around $70k or so (2018). Your comparison points are to be strongly considered when purchasing.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:07 PM   #40

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
My 2017 26 ft Freedom Elite dickered down to about $55,000 though...