Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2022, 04:20 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #27900
New to Rving, need help

Hello-

My wife and I are looking to purchase a 2016 Citation M24SA. We're located in San Diego, Ca. This will be our first RV purchase and we have several questions. Not sure if this is the proper place in the forum to ask them?
Have not been able to find used pricing for this unit on-line and could use guidance there. The unit has 60K miles on it so it's definitely been used. Don't think that's too big an issue with the diesel motor, but not sure about the rest of the unit. I plan on having it inspected, but any input as to quality issues or general impressions from owners would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Old 09-06-2022, 04:33 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsrfr View Post
Hello-

My wife and I are looking to purchase a 2016 Citation M24SA. We're located in San Diego, Ca. This will be our first RV purchase and we have several questions. Not sure if this is the proper place in the forum to ask them?
Have not been able to find used pricing for this unit on-line and could use guidance there. The unit has 60K miles on it so it's definitely been used. Don't think that's too big an issue with the diesel motor, but not sure about the rest of the unit. I plan on having it inspected, but any input as to quality issues or general impressions from owners would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Try RV Trader to get a sense of what available out there.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 04:52 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
NADA has the value, you were probably looking for a Citation however after 2005 Citation has been owned by Thor Motor Coach so you have to look there.

https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2016/...er/6546115/Zip

Enter your zip, and that should give you 'rough' idea. The numbers there tend to be inflated to support high dealer prices though.

Try searching eBay completed listings, if you can find some that sold you'll get a better idea of what they are actually selling for (vs. what people are asking for on RVTrader/Craiglist/etc..)

The market runup the past few years is IMO over, prices are dropping and sellers seem to be lagging..still trying to get top dollar.
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 05:13 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Find out when the last Service was done on it if it is a Mercedes Benz Chassis and if it was done a dealership.

Paul
Old 09-06-2022, 06:39 PM   #5

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Hello-

Thanks!
MHS was selling them for about 90k new (2016) so gives you a price reference
Old 09-06-2022, 10:56 PM   #6

THOR #27900
Thanks...

for the quick replies. Found out this particular RV was a scam sale. Did some research as advised, found the price to be wayyyy below market. Questioned the seller as to when I could view the unit. They claimed their job kept them constantly traveling, that they did not have time to see me in person. I would need to deal with a BQT (??) transportation who would handle the transaction. All I had to do was give them all my financial information up front. Uh huh...

The search continues.

Thanks again!
Old 09-07-2022, 12:21 AM   #7

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Check out some of the dealership lots for used motor homes. I know I traded in my 2018 Class C back in late March and it is still on the dealer's lot. I am sure they would be willing to negotiate a fair price. There are many dealerships with used coaches sitting idle.

Paul
Old 09-07-2022, 12:23 AM   #8

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
Quote:
for the quick replies. Found out this particular RV was a scam sale. Did some research as advised, found the price to be wayyyy below market. Questioned the seller as to when I could view the unit. They claimed their job kept them constantly traveling, that they did not have time to see me in person. I would need to deal with a BQT (??) transportation who would handle the transaction. All I had to do was give them all my financial information up front. Uh huh...

The search continues.

Thanks again!
Good job on not falling for it, you'd be surprised at how often they work.
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 10:59 PM   #9

Model: 25.4
THOR #7440
I have sold a few RVs in the past and I found the best way to deal with anyone wanting to buy is by having them show up to your home town and have them meet you at the major bank they deal with in your home town and then have them draw a certified check from their bank against their account and then hand you the check made out to you and then you sign over the title of the RV, I have had a few people try to scam me showing up with a certified check and then asked them to take a ride with me with their check to the local Bank of America and I will ask them to cash the check, people can forge a certified check just like they do with $100.00 bills, if you are not dealing with a dealer then you need to watch your back, I sold an RV back in 2006 to a guy from Fresno and I live in San Diego County, he flew in and I picked him up at the air port and he gave me a check and I told him we need to go to your bank to make the deal and his check was no good, so I left him standing in the lobby of the bank
Old 09-18-2022, 12:23 AM   #10

THOR #27900
Yeah, suppose there are scammers on both sides of a transaction. I'm on the buy side and would insist that the seller go with me to my bank so they new my money was legit. I will also insist on an inspection of the vehicle, and title, prior to any monies being given.
Thanks for your info.
Old 09-18-2022, 03:58 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Florida
THOR #17647
Purchasing a used RV

Quote:
Hello-

Thanks!
Doing the inspection is smart, it may cost a few hundred dollars, but well worth it. I would see if the seller would absorb that cost if you decide to purchase it. Right now RV’s are starting to depreciate once again, inventory is plentiful once again. There are deals to be made. Be sure whomever you get to do the inspection is at least certified. I would even consult with the dealer where it has been serviced as mentioned earlier. Read up on the manual to see what services should have been completed within this 60K miles and be sure they have been done. Most people don’t follow the owners manual. If they don’t have a record or the there is no record at the dealer then find out what it is going to cost to have those services fulfilled and have the seller deduct that or perform the services before you take possession of it. Make sure no critters have been living up in it as well. Check all the nooks and crannies, too. Especially look for water intrusion on the exterior as well as the interior. Make sure you thoroughly inspect the roof and all joints on the exterior to make sure they have been keeping up with preventative maintenance. Class A RV’s are very needy, Class C’s don’t seem to be as needy but require regular maintenance just because. I hope this helps if you haven’t already bought it. Remember, people don’t always disclose what they know about their into. Do your due diligence. I would also try and get at least a minimum 30 day to a 90 day warranty out of him if they insist there is nothing wrong with the unit. I hope this helps.