Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2019, 04:30 PM   #41
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Yup! A CCW permit is an open invitation for them to keep you there even longer!

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:32 PM   #42
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
My "where to carry and not" Bible:

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/
Just added the app to my CCW folder. Again, thanks.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:47 PM   #43

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Glad it helped...it's always up to date. I check it regularly in my travels but you still need to read the fine details of each state you travel. Carrying "through another state versus in another state" is mostly legal but "how you carry" varies widely.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:32 PM   #44

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Leave the gun at home. Instead buy a high quality crossbow. It's legal and a much quieter way to kill a RobinThug out in Sherwood Forest to protect yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crossbow.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	21827  
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:36 PM   #45

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #9543
I’ve read all the nay’s and no’s, but unless something has changed in the last 3 years, firearms CAN be taken across. Go on line and download the forms, and it will be a little more involved than without a firearm. A buddy and I were doing an extended fishing trip in’16, and I wanted my pistol in out of the way places. But, we finally opted against it to reduce the hassle of crossing, both ways. I have a CCW license from Texas. The info on these web sites is usually pretty good, but all to often, some just repeat what they’ve heard instead of what they have ‘themselves’ actually confirmed.
2017 36RSSB3--2012 F350 KR, LWB, SRW, bilsteins, 1 1/4" anti sway bar, bilstein steering stabilizer, airlift air bags, on board wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, all synthetic fluids; KEM, Tyrant, and PIP tunes with SCT X4 programming, G37 2017 Turbo, ATS Stage I towing transmission and torque convertor, Edge CTS gauge monitoring.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:04 PM   #46

State: North Carolina
THOR #8319
Not as easy as I was told.

Went to Glacier Park this year. Called several Canadian sources and was told I could bring up to 3 long guns if I filled out their official Permit and followed their explicit rules. When I crossed the border near Glacier Park the officer took my lever action rifle and pump shotgun and they were locked up to be retrieved when I came back thru this specific entrance. The officer told me his crossing did not follow the RCMP rules. I was worried that I’d never see them again but they were returned to me when we came back. My advice is don’t try it.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:13 PM   #47
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by clev View Post
I’ve read all the nay’s and no’s, but unless something has changed in the last 3 years, firearms CAN be taken across.
You're only telling half of the story...
Nobody has said that rifles and/or shotguns posed too much of a problem.
But Handguns WILL ABSOLUTELY get you in trouble...
Old 12-14-2019, 08:32 PM   #48

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #6457
Leave it in the USA
Old 12-14-2019, 08:44 PM   #49

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeg View Post
Hello to all in the RV world...I just recently bought my first Thor ACE and getting ready to hit the highway in the Spring...heading north to Maine and crossing over into Canada then cross back over into US near Niagra Falls...So,
does anybody know the legal logistics for carrying firearms across the border... Would appreciate any and all information concerning permits and/or consequences that could result for not following regulations, etc...
Every state has its own laws.....it's very confusing....and I thought that radar detectors from state to state was a nightmare.....nothing like this. And then you get to border crossings. Got so many "ifs and buts and maybes" that I gave it up. Keep it at home. The majority of people travel without guns and the majority of travelers are safe. I have for years and years. Funny how some "religious" people pray to God for protection and saftey and then carry firearms. Kinda like they don't trust the power of prayer and the Omnipotent One?????????????????????????? Then again, as Jack Reacher once asked, "why do they have lightning rods on churches?"
Old 12-14-2019, 08:59 PM   #50

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
We crossed over from Vermont into Canada in September. They were very nice and very thorough. They asked if we had guns (no), pepper spray (no), fresh produce, (yes) knives, (yes, we have a kitchen in the RV) They asked if the knives could be used as weapons and we assured them the knives were for culinary use only. They requested no blueberry transport for disease reasons.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:03 PM   #51

Model: Four Winds
State: Arizona
THOR #12097
I wanted to do the same thing 2 years ago. I checked into all the regs and even called the government office. If you're taking a rifle or such to a specific shooting competition. That's one thing. But you have to fill out forms and provide all pertinent info before arriving at the border. And buy a Travel Permit for the weapon. Basically, taking a weapon into Canada because it make you want that protection doesn't cut it with them. They simply told me "No". You may get asked at the border if you have one. They didn't ask us. But trying to smuggle one in isn't worth the risk
Old 12-14-2019, 09:06 PM   #52

State: Utah
THOR #11825
Weapons in Canada and New York

Quote:
Hello to all in the RV world...I just recently bought my first Thor ACE and getting ready to hit the highway in the Spring...heading north to Maine and crossing over into Canada then cross back over into US near Niagra Falls...So,
does anybody know the legal logistics for carrying firearms across the border... Would appreciate any and all information concerning permits and/or consequences that could result for not following regulations, etc...
Going to Canada with a weapon, as others have stated is a very bad idea. You also need to check the laws within the USA. Most states consider your motorhome as a place of domicile. NEW YORK has
their own laws. It is illegal to stop for an extended period of time within the state if your carrying firearms. This means, you can't stop for the night at a rest area or RV park. The last I heard was you must continue driving out of the state to be legal. For safety reasons this is an asinine law, given the size of the state.if you drive from Niagara Falls to lower Vermont it'll make for a long day of driving.
Do your homework before you travel!
Old 12-14-2019, 09:12 PM   #53

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #3169
Quote:
Don’t do it. I wanted to take a fire arm but after reading all the info about carrying across border, it’s easier to not do it. If you got caught at the border, it would screw up your trip to Alaska. One of the most beautiful places on earth. Don’t chance it.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:51 PM   #54

State: Tennessee
THOR #14312
I don't mean to change the subject from Canada to US but I understand that New Jersey is another state you don't want to have a handgun in, maybe not even a long gun. I have taken a handgun, undeclared into CA, but I don't think I will do that again. I will just leave all my guns at home.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:33 PM   #55

State: British Columbia
THOR #12644
18 inches is the minimum barrel length. Canadians prefer to knife each other or use poison. Shooting is considered in bad taste.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:33 PM   #56

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #3169
I think Maryland is the same way if you aren’t a resident. Southern states have agreements between their states. What is good in one Southern state is good in all.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:50 PM   #57

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #17016
Leave it home. 3 years ago I tried to bring a rifle into Canada. I had all the proper forms from the RCMP. When we got to the border crossing when asked if I had anything to declare, I said a rifle. At that point you would have thought I was a terrorist! We had to pull over to security offices, got interrogated. The RV was searched by a team. When questioned they asked the purpose for bringing my rifle across. I replied hunting, target shooting and self defense. As soon as I said self defense we were told that we were being denied entry. When I informed them that I had all the legal paperwork from the RCMP I was told that they were not the RCMP and were still denying us entry. They the rifle in it's case and told us to report to US Customs. We did so. The US Customs official sympathized and said this was a common occurrence. I ended up selling the rifle at a local gun shop. We were attempting entry at Port Huron. It may be different out west. The moral of the story....I wouldn't do it.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:56 PM   #58

State: British Columbia
THOR #12644
BTW don't even think about trying to take one into Mexico either. As the previous poster stated do not imply you may use it to shoot another person, self defense or not. If you get a permit, the implication is you plan to use it for hunting.
Old 12-14-2019, 11:37 PM   #59
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by telcoman View Post
18 inches is the minimum barrel length.
Sort of...
The minimum barrel length for a shotgun is 18"
For a rifle: it 16"
Old 12-15-2019, 12:52 AM   #60

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: Oregon
THOR #16645
Look for GUN LOCKERS near your border crossing

Larger US Border crossings should have a location SOMEWHERE, where you can securely rent a gun locker for a specified period that enables you travel into Canada without your hand gun(s). This means you'll have to back through the same crossing to retrieve your guns upon returning. No idea what these locations charge but have heard of them in locations such as Montana crossings...