RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-30-2018, 04:50 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
State: California
Posts: 103
THOR #9612
RV mattress

Have ACE 29.3, looking to fine where we can check out for new mattress, the one that came with the RV just inst comfortable. Any info or ideas would be appreciated.
__________________

__________________
chad523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:02 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
DenverTransplant's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
Posts: 388
THOR #5190
We added a 3" Sleep on Latex topper to our mattress and it has worked out very well. DW has gone through a couple iterations for our bed at home and ended up with the Sleep on Latex so we got one for the RV. They custom cut a mattress topper for the RV mattress as they aren't standard bed sizes. I think it cost about $15 extra plus they sent us the cut off section that she has used to make a couple of pillows. They also make foundation mattresses, which we found we didn't need for the RV. At home we have a 9" mattress and a 3" topper. The toppers come in 1, 2 and 3 inch thicknesses.

https://sleeponlatex.com/?gclid=Cj0K...EaAhJ2EALw_wcB

We used a foam topper from Costco for a few years, but she was finding it too be too hard and didn't like the smell from off-gassing. The Sleep on Latex doesn't have those issues.
__________________

__________________
Rick
2017 Thor ACE 30.1
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:06 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
State: California
Posts: 103
THOR #9612
Thank you I'll check it out
__________________
chad523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:50 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 17,840
THOR #8860
If you Google "RV Mattresses"; it'll give you all sorts of places to shop!
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:31 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Elite Washington's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
Posts: 464
THOR #6433
How much do you want to spend? Sleep number makes RV mattresses. You get the same 20 year warranty as the home ones and they are still light and comfortable
__________________
Elite Washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:16 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
Posts: 608
THOR #2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad523 View Post
Have ACE 29.3, looking to fine where we can check out for new mattress, the one that came with the RV just inst comfortable. Any info or ideas would be appreciated.

My mattress was an off size specific to Thor so I went to Custom Comfort in Orange County and got a custom mattress. I think the price was like $750 but worth every cent.
__________________
This post is opinion based on experience.
2015 Hurricane 27K
2013 Sea Ray 220SD
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:26 PM   #7
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE EVO 30.3
State: Florida
Posts: 79
THOR #6059
RV Mattress

We just recently upgraded our mattress in our ACE. My neighbor had just purchased a new class C Motorhome and as part of the deal he requested a higher grade mattress in it. They love their Denver Mattress RV supreme pillow top . My wife and I went over and layed on their Mattress and loved how it felt!
I found the mattress at etrailer.com for $600.00 and free shipping. It is 11Ē thick and very comfortable.
W should have done this much sooner than we did!

Sleeping comfortable

Steven B.
2017 ACE 30.3
S/W Florida
__________________
Stevenb2560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:48 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
thor293's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
Posts: 610
THOR #1620
We replaced our 29.3 mattress with this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 first of the year. So far really happy with it.When the slide comes in it compresses it an inch or so but no problem.
__________________
2015 Thor A.C.E. 29.3
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Ohio FMCA 317123
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:23 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
State: California
Posts: 103
THOR #9612
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
We replaced our 29.3 mattress with this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 first of the year. So far really happy with it.When the slide comes in it compresses it an inch or so but no problem.
Thank you, I'll check it out
__________________
chad523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:44 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
Posts: 713
THOR #2020
We purchased a new mattress at Verlo. They make the mattresses there so we were able to go into the store and lay on the various mattresses to decide which one we liked and they make them to size. We went to other places and most didnít sell an RV mattress and if they did they didnít have one to lay on to try out. Also, Verlo has what they refer to as a lifetime comfort warranty. You can take your mattress in and they will adjust it by addy or removing springs. Of course, if you are not close to Saint Louis area they might not work for you.

https://verlo.com/locations/missouri/st-charles/
__________________
pstandiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:42 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
LandKO's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
Posts: 283
THOR #12827
After a lot of research, we had a custom mattress made by Mattress Insider in Colorado. https://www.mattressinsider.com/
Had the mattress made to our dimensions (H, W & L) and due to its length, had a hinge incorporated so it folds up out of the way in order to retract the bedroom slide.
__________________
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:03 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
gnach's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
Posts: 633
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKO View Post
After a lot of research, we had a custom mattress made by Mattress Insider in Colorado. https://www.mattressinsider.com/
Had the mattress made to our dimensions (H, W & L) and due to its length, had a hinge incorporated so it folds up out of the way in order to retract the bedroom slide.
Hiya LandKO, would you mind adding some details about your choice. How thick, did you get different foam layers, and the cover choice? My back is very unhappy. Thx
__________________
I'm wearing trifocals now but my hindsight is 20/20.
*************
Bilsteins and Sumos front and rear...HUGE! FatMat and Hoodliner...HUGE!
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:35 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
Posts: 980
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant View Post
We added a 3" Sleep on Latex topper to our mattress and it has worked out very well. DW has gone through a couple iterations for our bed at home and ended up with the Sleep on Latex so we got one for the RV. They custom cut a mattress topper for the RV mattress as they aren't standard bed sizes. I think it cost about $15 extra plus they sent us the cut off section that she has used to make a couple of pillows. They also make foundation mattresses, which we found we didn't need for the RV. At home we have a 9" mattress and a 3" topper. The toppers come in 1, 2 and 3 inch thicknesses.

https://sleeponlatex.com/?gclid=Cj0K...EaAhJ2EALw_wcB

We used a foam topper from Costco for a few years, but she was finding it too be too hard and didn't like the smell from off-gassing. The Sleep on Latex doesn't have those issues.
Thanks for including the link! Looks like a nice product.
__________________
Pat & Becky & now Katie
Wenatchee, WA
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:56 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
Posts: 980
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
Hiya LandKO, would you mind adding some details about your choice. How thick, did you get different foam layers, and the cover choice? My back is very unhappy. Thx
We bought the "luxury gel foam" for our old MH 5-6 years ago. It was a very comfortable mattress. Unfortunately, we let it go when we sold the MH. :/ https://www.mattressinsider.com/luxu...mory-foam.html
__________________
Pat & Becky & now Katie
Wenatchee, WA
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:07 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
LandKO's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
Posts: 283
THOR #12827
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
Hiya LandKO, would you mind adding some details about your choice. How thick, did you get different foam layers, and the cover choice? My back is very unhappy. Thx

The mattress we ordered is based on this one https://www.mattressinsider.com/rv-l...-mattress.html
We went the custom mattress route for several reasons.
1. We needed a longer mattress (80") because we are both over 6 ft tall
2. Because of the bedroom slide, we needed a way to have the longer mattress stowed when the slide was retracted.
3. While the original mattress was labeled as 60" wide, it was not. The actual dimension of the bed platform, between the built in side cabinets was 59". The Tops of the side cabinets extended over the mattress by another inch on each side. Vertical height from the platform to the underside of the overhanging cabinet tops was 8".


Our customization requirements ended up being the following.
The mattress size became 59" x 80" x 8" thick. We had a hinge installed, 8" from the foot to allow it to be folded up when the slide was retracted. I added a fold down extension to the foot of the bed platform to support the extended mattress.
We radiused the corners at the foot to allow easier passage.

We originally wanted to go with a 10" thick mattress, but because of the cabinet top overhang, we stayed with the 8" thickness (going with the thicker mattress would have required additional modifications that we were not willing to do.)


This is how it turned out.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2366 1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	13754Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2367 1.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	13755
__________________
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:49 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
gnach's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
Posts: 633
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKO View Post
The mattress we ordered is based on this one https://www.mattressinsider.com/rv-l...-mattress.html
We went the custom mattress route for several reasons.
1. We needed a longer mattress (80") because we are both over 6 ft tall
2. Because of the bedroom slide, we needed a way to have the longer mattress stowed when the slide was retracted.
3. While the original mattress was labeled as 60" wide, it was not. The actual dimension of the bed platform, between the built in side cabinets was 59". The Tops of the side cabinets extended over the mattress by another inch on each side. Vertical height from the platform to the underside of the overhanging cabinet tops was 8".


Our customization requirements ended up being the following.
The mattress size became 59" x 80" x 8" thick. We had a hinge installed, 8" from the foot to allow it to be folded up when the slide was retracted. I added a fold down extension to the foot of the bed platform to support the extended mattress.
We radiused the corners at the foot to allow easier passage.

We originally wanted to go with a 10" thick mattress, but because of the cabinet top overhang, we stayed with the 8" thickness (going with the thicker mattress would have required additional modifications that we were not willing to do.)


This is how it turned out.
Attachment 13754Attachment 13755
Wow, great idea. It worked out well. What type and density of foam did you chose?
__________________
I'm wearing trifocals now but my hindsight is 20/20.
*************
Bilsteins and Sumos front and rear...HUGE! FatMat and Hoodliner...HUGE!
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:37 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
LandKO's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
Posts: 283
THOR #12827
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
Wow, great idea. It worked out well. What type and density of foam did you chose?



2" of Natural Latex Foam
6" of 1.8 LB Plant Based High Density Foam
Pass CFR1633 (passes the federal flammability guidelines)
Organic Cotton Cover (zippered and removable )
__________________
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:28 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
gnach's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
Posts: 633
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKO View Post


2" of Natural Latex Foam
6" of 1.8 LB Plant Based High Density Foam
Thank you, that's a big help. I've read some but didn't find any real guidance. The dual layer makes sense.
__________________
I'm wearing trifocals now but my hindsight is 20/20.
*************
Bilsteins and Sumos front and rear...HUGE! FatMat and Hoodliner...HUGE!
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:59 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger LX
State: South Carolina
Posts: 20
THOR #12124
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad523 View Post
Have ACE 29.3, looking to fine where we can check out for new mattress, the one that came with the RV just inst comfortable. Any info or ideas would be appreciated.
We put a memory foam top on our 29.1, we now have a Challenger did the same. Works for us, very comfortable.
__________________
SteveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:07 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Ontario
Posts: 26
THOR #9188
Mattress topper

I had back issues, and did not want to jump into a new mattress, so I bought a 4 in mattress topper from Amazon Zinus brand $71. Even if you try it for a few months then go to a full mattress, at that price its no big deal.

Made a terrific difference. Highly recommend it.
__________________

__________________
Paulred is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×