Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2017, 05:16 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Michigan
THOR #6694
Rving?

Hello,
Considering RVing for a couple of year through USA and Canada. I have much to learn and all help will be greatly appreciated.

S

Old 03-06-2017, 05:25 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Welcome aboard. Read around a lot. If you have any specific questions post them..someone will be along to answer. Even if the question is "where do I start?" LOL
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:42 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Welcome aboard this is the sight for higher learning. My advice buy what fits you.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:28 AM   #4

THOR #6694
The fit?

Thanks,
I just wish I new what would fit us.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:36 AM   #5

Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalebaas View Post
Thanks,
Do you want to tow a travel trailer with a truck or would you prefer a motorhome?
Old 03-08-2017, 03:00 AM   #6

THOR #6694
Motorhome. Traveling with two very large dogs, truck would not work well. Looking at C's and A's. Husband want to tow a car, I don't. Currently not comfortable driving and towing something that large.

He wants 24-26 feet, I want the outlaw 29h (I think).

Dogs shed for about 2-3 months and each weigh over 100 pounds. Thus the outlaw shed room in the back and the patio would be great for the fur babies.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:50 AM   #7

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
From our experience the toy hauler tend to make the living area inconvenient, small living room, tv mounted very high & at an odd angle, less cabinets & counter space in the kitchen, yes it would be good for the dogs, but I'd prefer to make it nice for myself instead.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:14 AM   #8

Brand: DRV
State: South Dakota
THOR #4935
If you don't tow then every time you want to go somewhere you have to disconnect everything at the campsite etc. I tow a little Geo Tracker and its not that 'large'.
Glenn 08 36tk3 #4571
oldbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:28 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
We tow a car behind our relatively small 25 ft Axis. My wife would never drive with any of the pull-behinds (2 trailers, and one 5th wheel). She will happily drive this combination--even when pulling a car (I think she'd rather drive when we're towing her car ! LOL).

You really don't notice the car back there with the RV being so much bigger. I'd suspect in a 30ft Outlaw the car is even less noticeable. Just leave the rear-view camera on to keep tabs on it.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:25 PM   #10

Model: Outlaw 29h
State: New Jersey
THOR #8445
Quote:
Motorhome. Traveling with two very large dogs, truck would not work well. Looking at C's and A's. Husband want to tow a car, I don't. Currently not comfortable driving and towing something that large.

He wants 24-26 feet, I want the outlaw 29h (I think).

Dogs shed for about 2-3 months and each weigh over 100 pounds. Thus the outlaw shed room in the back and the patio would be great for the fur babies.

Hello-how did things work out? I just saw your post. Did you go with the 29h? Or something else? I'm a newbie but fwiw- we went with the29h & like it. BTW- we have 3 big guys - don't weigh as much as your but they need their space.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:20 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
if you use the garage as a bedroom: it's not really all that handy. (The heat is all up front...)
If you sleep on the dinette: the furnace is about three feet from your head.
It wakes me up when it fires up; but I'm always able to be sleeping, when it shuts off.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:01 PM   #12

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
I would carefully consider all the possibilities out there before jumping in to a first time rig for full time traveling.

Medium size Class A or C with no toad: the advantages here are a short list. You can get into almost any State park or small tight campground. The list of negatives are longer than I want to type. You would almost always have to plan ahead and pull into a Walmart for stocking up on groceries/supplies. If you have a medical emergency at 1am (you or your pets) do you call uber, rescue squad, or who? Unit will probably be too small for a washer/dryer so you will be carrying laundry around a campground which could be a 50 yard walk or a mile walk.

Medium size Class A or C with a toad: it would solve about half the issues stated above but not all. Even for two people you have to have some "stuff" for general living. Now in your case you are adding two 100 pound animals to the mix and their "stuff" that they will need.

Large Class A with toad: I consider a large class A to be in the 37' to 45' range. Units 37' to 40' generally are gas, 40' and above can come in diesel. Now you can have a washer/dryer, and if not equipped with those you will have a huge hanging closet area where they would normally go. The basement storage area will be anywhere from 180 square feet to 250 square feet.

Travel Trailer: depending on the size and weight of a TT you could be pulling it with a large SUV or a pickup truck. Most TT's have slides so you will have a lot of living space. The one negative is that most TT's are hard to pull down the highway in moderate windy conditions.

Fifth Wheel: the only negative here would be the fact for most new RVers it can be intimidating at first, especially if you have never driven a large truck or semi combination. A fiver in the 36' to 40' range (with slides) has tons of livability. Your tow vehicle (TV) could be an extended cab or mega cab pickup so you would have room for the puppies. Fivers can be drug down the interstate in 40mph crosswinds better than 90% of all other RV's on the road. With a little practice you will be maneuvering it and backing it with no problems.

These are just my ideas. We bought our first RV in our late 50's, sold our home, and hit the road full time. We have since bought another home, listed it for sale, and are getting ready to return to full time travel again.

Good luck deciding and finding what works for you. We found that there is nothing better than full time traveling the USA in an RV.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:38 PM   #13

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
We are very comfortable in our 28ft. Class C Motor Home and we stay out 3 months at a time and we do not have a toad. We like simple and ease that works for us and we also have no pets. It really boils down to what works best for you, not one size fits all. We started with 25 footer then just move to a 28 foot with 2 slides, primarily to take grandkids out once in awhile. We never did this till 3 years ago and love it so roll the dice and happy and safe travels.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:50 AM   #14

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Thanks,

Wondering what has happened with this original poster? A lot of good suggestions here. One more suggestion for anyone considering RVing: Rent one and take a little trip. You'll learn a lot about your preferences and your abilities.

Friends bought a new gas Class A coach, and after one trip learned that RVing wasn't the thing for them. Had they rented first, they would have saved a bundle!
Old 10-09-2017, 11:38 PM   #15

THOR #6694
Well, we bit the bullet and bought a Class A 34 foot motorhome. Unable to find an Outlaw anywhere near us to check out. Came close to buying an A with bunkbeds, but the kitchen was non existent. So, the dogs will have to make do with the space available, but I can now cook. Which they might like since I make all of their dog treats.

Plan to start traveling as soon as the house sells. Hits the market in about 2 weeks.

Picked up the motorhome today. Now the fun of trying to decide what to pack, where to put it and what else do I need to buy??! LOL.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:46 PM   #16

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Khalebaas - welcome to the wonderful world of RVing. As you can probably tell, some times it can be a love-hate relationship but we would be without ours. Enjoy and again welcome.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:09 AM   #17

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Quote:
Well, we bit the bullet and bought a Class A 34 foot motorhome. Unable to find an Outlaw anywhere near us to check out. Came close to buying an A with bunkbeds, but the kitchen was non existent. So, the dogs will have to make do with the space available, but I can now cook. Which they might like since I make all of their dog treats.

Plan to start traveling as soon as the house sells. Hits the market in about 2 weeks.

Picked up the motorhome today. Now the fun of trying to decide what to pack, where to put it and what else do I need to buy??! LOL.
So are you planning to Full Time in the MH?
Old 10-10-2017, 01:13 AM   #18

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
...Picked up the motorhome today. Now the fun of trying to decide what to pack, where to put it and what else do I need to buy??! LOL.

You are in for an adventure! A learning experience, a new chapter!

Suggest you download Ed Felker's excellent crowd sourced Vegas/Axis manual. While it was compiled for that Thor model, it has good packing and preparation lists that apply to all RVs. Here's the link:

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html

I use and recommend a short checklist for departure. It includes things like setting the GPS and bringing in the awning. Oh, and lowering the TV antenna.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:45 AM   #19

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Quote:

Congrats on the new RV and hope you have safe travels!!
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:45 PM   #20

THOR #6694
Yes, full time living. Currently have only rented for 2-6 weeks in other countries. USA if very different. Also, owning it is very different.