Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2017, 12:52 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Nova Scotia
THOR #8777
Seriously considering Thor

My husband and I have been looking for almost 2 yrs for our first Motorhome and are leaning towards Thor. I would appreciate your feedback, good and bad, on your experience with yours. Model, gas, diesel etc would be great, as well. Thanks!!

Old 08-14-2017, 01:04 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
If it helps, we are now in our second Thor coach by choice. Our first Thor was a Tuscany 41' DP that we had for six trouble free years. We had to sell the Tuscany after moving due to lack of a place to store. Our current coach is a 2017 Thor Windsport 29M, also trouble free. We looked at many brands and floor plans, liked the Windsport the best. Very happy with our choice, lots of room for a 31' coach.

I'm sure others will chime in about their experiences, good and bad, but if you read on forums for other brands they have lots of problems too. Unfortunately the poor quality is consistent throughout the RV industry.

If you buy a new coach I strongly urge you to do a very through inspection before taking delivery. Find a good dealer, they are the ones that can have a huge influence on either a good or bad experience.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:34 AM   #3

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieD View Post
My husband and I have been looking for almost 2 yrs for our first Motorhome and are leaning towards Thor. I would appreciate your feedback, good and bad, on your experience with yours. Model, gas, diesel etc would be great, as well. Thanks!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
Thor builds crap and everyone knows it.
Your really asking for it and your going to probably get some very wide ranging views. At least one of us thinks they're crap.
I'm also on my second Thor. First one was a class C with no slideout. Perhaps if it would have had a slide I would have kept it but it was just too cramped. I am quite happy with my 30.1 with the V-10. I've towed with it several times and while it's no diesel pusher I don't need to drive 70 uphill too. I've had several problems with mine but being quite mechanically inclined have been able to make necessary repairs. A lot of what you need is to know where everything is, how it works, and MAKE NOTE OF IT!
Your breakers for example, they will show you where the ones are inside and maybe even the fuses but as I found out the hard way there are more that are hidden around the coach. They give you instructions on what to do in an emergency if your slide gets stuck but don't bother to tell you where the controller is. Odds are if you ask they won't know either but make them find it for you. Don't do as someone on here recently said and be pressed for time when you pick up your coach. I think everyone should allow 2 full days. If something doesn't work don't take it until it does. Once you drive off, warranty or not, your on your own to now take it back. Last let me say that no matter how much anyone trashes Thor I encourage you to take a look at other forums for other makes and models including those in the $250,000 range and you will see many of the same issues we have with ours. I wish you the best on whatever make/model you choose. We have had great fun with ours and hope you do to.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:47 AM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I too am happy with my Thor product (2017 Freedom Elite Class C) and quite satisfied with Thor in my few post purchase dealings with them. I have no post purchase interaction with my dealer as I've not had to take it back in my 8 months, 7500 miles and 39 nights of ownership. That said, you WILL have issues with your new RV. I'm pretty "handy" as well and have perhaps a full day or more of repairs and adjustments. I count it as part of the experience and have learned SO much about my machine from doing the repairs. There are lots (and lots!) of rants about poor quality and I don't doubt the grim reality of the posters. But I also talk to folks in campgrounds and most people with late model Thors, like me, seem to be pretty happy. Best of luck with your purchase and your travels.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:50 AM   #5

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Thor makes and sells a lots of RV's, so you will hear all sorts of stories. Our current Gemini is a big downsize from a high end 41 foot DP, not a Thor, that we had for eleven years, with some problems, one major engine problem, out of warrantee, very expensive to repair. That said, the current Gemini came with its issues, all taken care of by Thor and the selling dealer. The Gemini we have is on the Mercedes Sprinter 3500 chassis, so any drive train issues are handled by Mercedes, any house issues by the RV dealer. So far it has worked well. IMO Thor QA is about like most, very variable from unit to unit, depending on who is on the assembly line the day any given unit is built. This is true for all RV manufactures. Basically, you pay your money and you take your chances.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:54 AM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The best thing you can do is find a good dealer that will respond to your calls/queries/etc. in a timely manner, will let you keep the unit while they order parts, etc. A good dealer is key.

Having said that: All of my interactions with Thor have been good ones: Questions were answered promptly, e-mails were returned, they even sent me a replacement part for me to fix something by myself. In addition, this past winter when I went to the factory service shop in Wakarusa, IN they were very professional detailing all the work they would be doing, how much time it would take, and how much it would cost (out of warranty).

So far we are very happy with our Thor.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:52 AM   #7

Model: Freedom Elite 23H
State: Colorado
THOR #8675
2017 Freedom Elite 23H

I won't go into all the problems I've had and still do because any manufacturer can have the same problems. But I will say this before you sign the papers and take ownership do a walk through of your unit make sure they give you a WO it's a we owe form showing all the things you want fixed. Now their going to tell you to take it on your first trip add whatever you find add to the list and they'll fix everything at once. No way get those items you found fixed and fight through the others you find later. Once you sign and leave all your leverage to get things fixed are gone. Your at their mercy.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:24 AM   #8

THOR #8228
LONG ANSWER BUT WORTH YOUR WHILE:
Okay here's my semi expert opinion after several years of searching for the "perfect coach". First of all figure out a floor plan you want & don't compromise, make sure you sit and pretend to live in that plan without the salesman. Then figure out how you want to use your motorhome. Full time, several vacations throughout the year, longer stays, shorter stays? How many will be with you? Kids? Grand kids? Just the two of you? Then once that's done figure out how much you're willing to pay. If I had the money I would have bought a Tiffin. They have the best quality for motorhomes on the market and stand by their products like no one else. If you can't afford that, use that as the standard the other must live up to and decide what's good enough. For us they did not have the floor plan that we wanted and didn't want an older model we could afford. I never thought I would buy a Thor. Because honestly, the less-expensive Thor's seem to be built... not very well. And corners were cut in quality control. But they had real bang for the buck if you over looked their short comings. After 2013 on the more expensive gas versions of the motor coaches like the Miramar & the diesel Palazzo, we noticed the quality became better and at a good price. One thing the Thors had were great floor plans. It seems like they listen to what the consumers wanted. We looked at everything and I mean everything. After several trips across the west with no luck, we made a list of "must haves" during an 8 hr trip, just me and the DW from Arizona back to Cali. I made compromises which allowed us to find the MH that checked all the boxes of must haves. We found "the one" on a fluke, test drive that turned into the deal we literally could not refuse. So we went for it. We bought 2015 Miramar with stupid low millage. Previous owner made mods & upgrades we wouldn't afford, new fans, TV, Radios, satellite systems... The point is your dream RV is out there. But there's some caveats.
1. Don't but new, I heard the head of Thor products say they're building more than ever but the work force is very weak and the turnover is horrible thus lots of errors.
2. Buy used, let someone else work out the bugs. Thor warranty covers 1st 2 owners. (Used to be just the 1st owner)
3. Haggle on price on everything, be willing to walk away. Low ball them, they might (and did) say yes.
4. Make the salesman like you, be kind and friendly.
5. Be willing to walk away... That's that important so I said it twice.
6. Have your own mechanic/knowledgeable person check out everything, the process is overwhelming,
7. Get their PDI in writing and be apart of it until you're completely satisfied, and then things will still be missed. Oh, and Run everything, make sure all works before signing.
8. Buy at the best discount (haggle) the extended warranty, some have 0 deductibles. Buy none of their other mark up items. They want to up sell stuff you don't need.
We went thru this just 3 week ago, we love our coach but it still has problems. But then again who's great ideas was it to put your house on wheels and think it would be trouble free after an earthquake of bad roads and pot holes and rambunctious kids.
But a tool kit, a good one for the coach. Decide to have some romantic time, you and your spouse, under the coach doing the CHF (if you have a f53 that is)
Good luck, Rik.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Thor RV Forum mobile app
Old 08-14-2017, 06:31 AM   #9

THOR #8228
A couple of But (s) should be Buy (s) you'll figure it out.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Thor RV Forum mobile app
Old 08-14-2017, 12:35 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
There will be lots of opinions on this, but we are quite happy with our Thor. Yes, we have had some issues, none were show stoppers. The dealer does make a difference - they need to be able to show that they stand behind their product and will make things right. We also took a while to buy our "last" RV by renting first, then buying an older used model with the floorplan we liked, documenting our checklist for our must-haves and nice-to-haves, and then attending RV shows and visiting dealers all over. After all of that, we still found our Thor by accident as it wasn't the model we went to look at but happened to be parked next door.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:50 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut214 View Post
Last let me say that no matter how much anyone trashes Thor I encourage you to take a look at other forums for other makes and models including those in the $250,000 range and you will see many of the same issues we have with ours.
Nailed it!

Two of my brothers warned me about maintenance. One has a Newmar and the other a Newell. The Newell is an extremely high dollar rv and goes to the shop almost every time he returns from a trip. It seems there is always a bell ringing or a whistle blowing. It was fine when it was still under warranty, but once it went out he was on his own.

In my case, the Jensen jrt212 radio is a piece of junk. It overheats and is useless. I'm currently in an email discussion with ASA electronics but so far they answer my email questions with another question. It's been over a week and they haven't answered my last email.

As for Thor, I was checking on a dead receptacle and discovered they don't use boxes for the outlets. The just screw the outlet to the wall. But the real kicker is the hole they cut. I suspect they used a pocket knife. I could have made a cleaner cut with my fist. Come to think of it, that may have been what they used.

Don't let any of this deter you from any particular brand. We still have a blast but we've accepted the fact that all the rv manufacturers operate the same way. Find one you like and hold the dealer's feet to the fire as long as you can.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:03 PM   #12

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
We were very green when we bought a slightly used 2016 Vegas 24.1. It had less rHan 2000 miles.

Overall we are very happy with it. Been trouble free for us over 14 months and an additional 9000 miles. It is an entry level unit that doubles as tow vehicle for my racecar. We have taken it to Disney campgroung, North Carolina and out town races.

We took 8 year old on 10 day trip and it worked flawlessly. Sleeping in it 9 nights, no issues at all.

We would definitely do it again.

If you are mechanically inclined at all, you will be fine. Find what you like. Good luck.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:05 PM   #13

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
As I said in my former post, we downsized to the Gemini, actually we had a Tiffin bus 41 footer, for eleven years. The materials used and the finish work was definitely a couple of steps up from Thor, but we still had multitudes of problems. Some were house problems that were a result of poor assembly, some were Freightliner and drive train related, very very expensive to deal with out of warrantee. The Gemini, too has had some poor assembly issues, so far all handled by the selling dealer and Thor. Thor even stepped up and reimbursed me for money I spent to have the valves modified on the rear wheels, so I could actually get to them to check air psi. That was unexpected and appreciated. The perfect RV does not exist, no matter who manufactured it. There is a Prevost repair facility not too far from where I live. They are backed up for months, if you have a 2 million dollar Prevost and need work done on it, and there a lots of folks that have spent that kind of money and still have practically non-stop problems with them. For us, we wanted to downsize, and the Gemini is certainly smaller than the bus, but there is just my wife, our small dog and me, so we manage. Also since at our stage in life, this is most likely our last RV and I did not want to spend a huge amount of $$'s for something we probably will only use for five or six years, (who knows). The Gemini was paid for from day one, I did not want an RV payment of any size, again at our stage of live. (We are both retired and have been for many years). As part of the purchase deal, I had the dealer add over $10,000.00 of accessories that I knew we wanted and would use, things like an inverter, satellite system, and lots more. That all became part of the purchase deal, and frankly wound up costing me nothing, still got the Gemini for way way under MSRP, even with the adds. I by the way spent about a month haggling with the sales department before we finally agreed on an amount, but I was determined I was going to be the one that called the shots. It took their service department over three weeks to install all the adds, some were fairly complicated, but it all eventually got done, and the Gemini is very much to our liking, other than the lack of space inside compared to the bus, but life is all about compromise. Point of this, is know what you want in an RV, and negotiate the hell out of your purchase, there are some great deals out there, but you have to know the lay of the land and fight like all get out, while being reasonable, friendly and knowledgeable. Our salesman told my wife, he had learned more about RV's and selling them, from dealing and negotiating with me, then any other client in his over 10 years of selling them.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:15 PM   #14

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #6310
We've owned 4 motor homes over the last 20 years. First three were used models. In January we purchased our first new motor home, a Challenger 37LX. Yes, a used one has all the new RV kinks worked out, but sometimes comes with neglect, poor maintenance, or previous owner abuse issues. A new RV comes with a full warranty, no previous owner issues, and usually some improvements over an older model. One of the primary reasons we went new over used was the new 6 speed transmission being offered. Whether you go new or used is totally your preference and cost/budget consideration.

We looked at many brands that carry larger gas models. We considered floor plans that worked for us. We narrowed it down to Forest River, Tiffin, and Thor. Ruled out Forest River because of the number of complaints we read about, and the new cabinet smell gave me a headache. Ruled out Tiffin mostly due to price. They build a very nice coach and the model we looked at had more features that I liked over the Thor, but was $21k more. I couldn't justify the few extra bells and whistles for that price difference. They have a good reputation, although I have heard recently they have as many issues as most other manufactures.

We LOVE our Thor! We felt like we got a beautiful coach and for the most bang for our bucks. It has not been problem free but with patience and a positive attitude, and a good dealer to work with it is coming together. I would buy another Thor today if we were in the market to buy.

Choosing a dealer with a good reputation is very important. We actually got the best price out of state, but chose a local Thor dealer with a good reputation for warranty repairs. When you find the one, do a serious walk through and mark down anything that's not right. I agree with the advice to not complete the sale until it's repaired. If you know someone with RVing experience, ask them to go with you to look it over. Experience is everything when looking at a new OR used RV. Good luck!!
Old 08-14-2017, 05:31 PM   #15

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Quote:
Your really asking for it and your going to probably get some very wide ranging views. At least one of us thinks they're crap.
I'm also on my second Thor. First one was a class C with no slideout. Perhaps if it would have had a slide I would have kept it but it was just too cramped. I am quite happy with my 30.1 with the V-10. I've towed with it several times and while it's no diesel pusher I don't need to drive 70 uphill too. I've had several problems with mine but being quite mechanically inclined have been able to make necessary repairs. A lot of what you need is to know where everything is, how it works, and MAKE NOTE OF IT!
Your breakers for example, they will show you where the ones are inside and maybe even the fuses but as I found out the hard way there are more that are hidden around the coach. They give you instructions on what to do in an emergency if your slide gets stuck but don't bother to tell you where the controller is. Odds are if you ask they won't know either but make them find it for you. Don't do as someone on here recently said and be pressed for time when you pick up your coach. I think everyone should allow 2 full days. If something doesn't work don't take it until it does. Once you drive off, warranty or not, your on your own to now take it back. Last let me say that no matter how much anyone trashes Thor I encourage you to take a look at other forums for other makes and models including those in the $250,000 range and you will see many of the same issues we have with ours. I wish you the best on whatever make/model you choose. We have had great fun with ours and hope you do to.
Very well said! We too love our 30.1. I too am mechanically inclined and have located every access panel and system on the coach. I like knowing where things are before I have a problem. I bought some spare stuff to keep on the rv based on reading threads on here. Spare water pump, spark plug, oil and fuel pump for the generator etc. I agree there should be a drawing given to owners of the fuses and breakers locations and what they do. I see a lot of problems on here just because a fuse blew or breaker tripped.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:36 PM   #16

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
When we switched from fivers to MH's I did a lot of research for a used brand at our price point. We have only had our 2014 Challenger a little over a year but we love it and haven't had any issues with it in almost 10,000 miles of use.

That's not to say I didn't drop some cash on suspension mods so it would handle better, but you may find handling issues with any gas coach.

We will be changing over to a larger DP in the next few months in preparation of returning to full time RVing. We are looking for 2 to 4 year old coaches and right now are only considering Tiffin, Newmar, and Thor.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:33 PM   #17

THOR #6598
Quote:
You read my lips. After researching for 6 Mo. on June 23, 2017, I completed a PO on a 2018 Thor Quantum PD31. I placed $1,000 down to submit the order to Thor and the coach should be delivered by end of Sept. I've already had lenthy disussions with Thor & Dealer regard Quality Control and Craftsmanship. And recently informed the Dealer to plan on a min. of 2 days to do our Walkthrough/PDI. I'm not taking it off the lot, except for Test Drive, until everything works to my satisfaction. I've read the Owners Manual at leaset 3 times and have prepared to date a list of 61 Questions/Demo's that I would like addressed at the PDI. I even sent them the questions for their review prior to our meeting. I sure hope THOR has addressed the Quality Control issues as I've been reading about. If all checks out, I'm taking detail pictures prior to driving off the lot. Keeping my fingers crossed for just a few minor issues, as I'm not expecting perfection and really like this coach. Worst case scenerio I'm out $1,000 and not $101,000.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:58 AM   #18

State: Alabama
THOR #7276
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieD View Post

We too looked for years and finally decided on the 2018 Thor Chateau 24HL MSB Sprinter Diesel. Our order was placed the first week of May (2017) and we just received the coach August 5th! It is just the two of us, and our dog so we didn't need an extremely large coach. We wanted one that was easy to maneuver and had good storage space. The bathroom in this unit is small and awkward, but it is what we sacrificed for storage space. We special ordered our unit because we wanted a diesel generator, not the LP. We have had the coach 10 days now and made a 4 day maiden trip to check it out. Mechanically (for the most part) and comfortably it did great! Two issues that we discovered on the shakedown trip: 1) The furnace would blow cool air and go off after approximately 30 seconds; 2) we encountered rain and one of the storage compartments flooded. We arrived home over the weekend so this morning we took the coach into the dealer and both issues were fixed. The furnace LP gas line was not connected at the factory and was lying on the floor of the furnace compartment. Luckily the line had a brass fitting capped off on it so there wasn't any LP escaping! The storage compartment door seal was installed upside down, which meant the two ends of the rubber seal met up at the top of the compartment door instead of at the bottom. So when the rain was hitting the side of the coach and running onto the compartment door it allowed the rain to run between the two ends and go into the compartment instead of running down and around the rubber seal to the bottom of the door and emptying to the outside. All-in-all one issue could have been dangerous and one was a minor problem. All that said, when we were spending our years looking for which coach to buy we read a lot of angry and sad reviews on all makes of RV's. Because of that, we tried to do a very extensive PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) with the dealer before we took delivery of the coach. It has been 26 years since we had a motor coach so we consider ourselves "newbies", plus prices for RV's are a lot higher now then they were in 1990! Our PDI took 5 hours to complete and uncovered many manufacturer's defects. The dealer wanted us to take delivery of the coach and use the warranty to make repairs after our purchase. Back to all those reviews we read! Our concern was that the repairs wouldn't be made if we followed that path that we had read about so many others following, so we decided that we wouldn't purchase the coach unless the repairs were completed first. Plus we didn't see the problems as a warranty issue but as manufacturer defects. We had already waited three months so a few more days was worth waiting to make right what we were paying for. In the end we are happy with our coach and look forward to many miles of fun and memories! It is disappointing though that the factory turns out such poor quality that the dealers are left with repairing all their damage and sloppiness. We recommend that before you purchase a unit you go through it and operate every fixture and appliance with every power source it functions by; check every light fixture and electrical outlet; run water from the fresh water holding tank and city water connection....could go on-and-on! We feel like we worked out all the stressful issues prior to purchasing and now we are ready to get on the road to retirement and enjoy the heck out of it! All the best to you and hope you enjoy your adventures!
Old 08-15-2017, 01:17 PM   #19

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Hi RVSquared. All really good information. Can I make a suggestion. In the future, if you break up your post into paragraphs (like below) it will be much easier to read. I'm afraid many wouldn't read your original post, even though it included some great experiences worth sharing, just because it's too hard to read one massively long paragraph.

I've broken your post into paragraphs below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVSquared View Post
We too looked for years and finally decided on the 2018 Thor Chateau 24HL MSB Sprinter Diesel. Our order was placed the first week of May (2017) and we just received the coach August 5th! It is just the two of us, and our dog so we didn't need an extremely large coach. We wanted one that was easy to maneuver and had good storage space.

The bathroom in this unit is small and awkward, but it is what we sacrificed for storage space. We special ordered our unit because we wanted a diesel generator, not the LP. We have had the coach 10 days now and made a 4 day maiden trip to check it out.

Mechanically (for the most part) and comfortably it did great! Two issues that we discovered on the shakedown trip: 1) The furnace would blow cool air and go off after approximately 30 seconds; 2) we encountered rain and one of the storage compartments flooded. We arrived home over the weekend so this morning we took the coach into the dealer and both issues were fixed. The furnace LP gas line was not connected at the factory and was lying on the floor of the furnace compartment. Luckily the line had a brass fitting capped off on it so there wasn't any LP escaping!

The storage compartment door seal was installed upside down, which meant the two ends of the rubber seal met up at the top of the compartment door instead of at the bottom. So when the rain was hitting the side of the coach and running onto the compartment door it allowed the rain to run between the two ends and go into the compartment instead of running down and around the rubber seal to the bottom of the door and emptying to the outside.

All-in-all one issue could have been dangerous and one was a minor problem. All that said, when we were spending our years looking for which coach to buy we read a lot of angry and sad reviews on all makes of RV's. Because of that, we tried to do a very extensive PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) with the dealer before we took delivery of the coach. It has been 26 years since we had a motor coach so we consider ourselves "newbies", plus prices for RV's are a lot higher now then they were in 1990! Our PDI took 5 hours to complete and uncovered many manufacturer's defects. The dealer wanted us to take delivery of the coach and use the warranty to make repairs after our purchase.

Back to all those reviews we read! Our concern was that the repairs wouldn't be made if we followed that path that we had read about so many others following, so we decided that we wouldn't purchase the coach unless the repairs were completed first. Plus we didn't see the problems as a warranty issue but as manufacturer defects. We had already waited three months so a few more days was worth waiting to make right what we were paying for.

In the end we are happy with our coach and look forward to many miles of fun and memories! It is disappointing though that the factory turns out such poor quality that the dealers are left with repairing all their damage and sloppiness.

We recommend that before you purchase a unit you go through it and operate every fixture and appliance with every power source it functions by; check every light fixture and electrical outlet; run water from the fresh water holding tank and city water connection....could go on-and-on! We feel like we worked out all the stressful issues prior to purchasing and now we are ready to get on the road to retirement and enjoy the heck out of it! All the best to you and hope you enjoy your adventures!
Old 08-15-2017, 01:31 PM   #20

State: Alabama
THOR #7276
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Hi RVSquared. All really good information. Can I make a suggestion. In the future, if you break up your post into paragraphs (like below) it will be much easier to read. I'm afraid many wouldn't read your original post, even though it included some great experiences worth sharing, just because it's too hard to read one massively long paragraph.

I've broken your post into paragraphs below.

tnedator, thank you and my English teacher mother would thank you too!