Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2022, 11:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: British Columbia
THOR #25206
Sewer Connection Solved

I have a 2016 Vegas 24.1. After removing the access cap, the sewer connection has to be pivoted down almost 90 degrees to then come up under the storage compartment to connect the sewer hose. It was getting increasingly difficult to turn down the connection. After lots of lubrication and fiddling with bolt tension, it made no difference.

The solution was to cut in another access hole of 6 inches - that was the biggest I could fit. The hose now fits perfectly, and I will never have to pivot that damn connection again. It now stays in the up position. The good news ... my wife can now hook up the hose.

Had Thor put the original access in this new position, we wouldn't have the issue.

2 photos to help should anyone have the same problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	port 1.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	39583   Click image for larger version

Name:	port 2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	39584  

Old 09-28-2022, 12:39 AM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Very nice!!
Old 09-28-2022, 02:34 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
I would love to see it in the BEFORE state with sewer hose going through the OEM hole? Not sure how you twist it without it leaking and if you have to get underneath the bottom to connect that is just insane

Has it been like that 8 years and you just now got fed up with it? Is it possible that last fitting is not OEM and maybe aftermarket part?

In any case, problem solved and good job.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 02:37 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I would love to see it in the BEFORE state with sewer hose going through the OEM hole? Not sure how you twist it without it leaking and if you have to get underneath the bottom to connect that is just insane

Has it been like that 8 years and you just now got fed up with it? Is it possible that last fitting is not OEM and maybe aftermarket part?

In any case, problem solved and good job.
Common problem we’ll documented in the forum.
Old 09-28-2022, 02:42 AM   #5

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Common problem we’ll documented in the forum.
Wow, Thor can't buy a break. I try to give them the benefit of the doubt at every turn. Thor should have at least supplied the 6" deck access caps as part of goodwill.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 09-28-2022, 01:23 PM   #6

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
They must 'train' employees to just put it 'somewhere about here ish' without regard to suitability. Probably install the hole when it's not in place..

It's amazing anything lines up at all!
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 01:35 PM   #7

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Good job of gettin in there and fixin it!
Old 09-28-2022, 02:05 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Wow, Thor can't buy a break. I try to give them the benefit of the doubt at every turn. Thor should have at least supplied the 6" deck access caps as part of goodwill.
Why should Thor supply anything?

The issue, based on the number of forum posts, is by design and the sewer connection is meant to be rotated to connect the sewer hose.

That connection was that way when folks bought the rigs. If they don’t like it maybe they should have walked away before buying the rig.

TMC builds them the way they sell, cheap parts and components, cheap workmanship, cheap price, cheap support and nothing more. Sorry but that is reality. Thinking Thor (TMC) is in any way associated with a quality higher than entry level product is living in a fantasy world full of Unicorns and Wizards.

And notice, I said TMC not Thor Industries operating units.
Old 09-28-2022, 02:55 PM   #9

Model: Daybreak 30DB
State: Tennessee
THOR #22917
Quote:

The issue, based on the number of forum posts, is by design and the sewer connection is meant to be rotated to connect the sewer hose.

That connection was that way when folks bought the rigs. If they don’t like it maybe they should have walked away before buying the rig.

TMC builds them the way they sell, cheap parts and components, cheap workmanship, cheap price, cheap support and nothing more. Sorry but that is reality. Thinking Thor (TMC) is in any way associated with a quality higher than entry level product is living in a fantasy world full of Unicorns and Wizards.

man, you sure are funny.
Old 09-28-2022, 03:04 PM   #10

THOR #13058
Quote:

Ahhhhh I see now. I had to blow up the picture. I can see now if it was rotated 90 degrees downward; it would fit in the hole. You could argue it gives you the benefit of option to use both ways without an attachment.

I agree with your position and retract my comment of Thor supplying parts. I actually lived your point 1st hand on very similar issue. The 27B had two compartments one for Black and the other for Gray; so you would have to handle the sewer hose twice. It was designed that way, I didn't like it at all, and it was part of my reason to not buy that model.

OP did a good job to fix his concern
Old 09-28-2022, 03:20 PM   #11

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmac450 View Post
man, you sure are funny.
So you must not believe in Unicorns & Wizards

I think he nailed it, he had to simplify in clear language; so we all could follow. I was missing the issue and context before.
Old 09-28-2022, 07:23 PM   #12

Model: Daybreak 30DB
State: Tennessee
THOR #22917
Quote:
So you must not believe in Unicorns & Wizards

I think he nailed it, he had to simplify in clear language; so we all could follow. I was missing the issue and context before.
To think that just because Thor is known for bad quality means one should just accept it is just a mentality I don't understand...but to each their own.
Old 09-28-2022, 08:11 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmac450 View Post
To think that just because Thor is known for bad quality means one should just accept it is just a mentality I don't understand...but to each their own.
Two things

First, contrary to your belief , this is not a quality issue. This is a functions as designed issued that someone bought.

Next, if someone purchased a RV with known issues published and on display during a PDI they get what they purchased and deserve. Failure to conduct a PDI or open one’s eyes during a walk through is no excuse. Nobody was forced to accept the rig they bought. Buy cheap, get cheap.
Old 09-28-2022, 09:38 PM   #14

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:

Lol !
Old 09-28-2022, 10:27 PM   #15

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
I'd just like to point out that the people that designed a sewer connection you had to rotate 90 degrees to connect a sewer hose are also the people that designed cutting out a wooden panel in the top of the dash board to change the battery in the same model RV.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 10:36 PM   #16

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
I'd just like to point out that the people that designed a sewer connection you had to rotate 90 degrees to connect a sewer hose are also the people that designed cutting out a wooden panel in the top of the dash board to change the battery in the same model RV.
Now that is great point!!
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 11:55 PM   #17

THOR #13058
I am gonna have to stick with Entegra 37TS on this one.

It reminds me of an old joke where customer was complaining about the food in a Chinese Restaurant. The frustrated Customer says " I can't eat this S#!T" The Chinese waiter says "You order S#!T; you eat S#!T"

To EA37's point, see attached picture of 2019 27B that I wanted to buy, I never could get pass the fact that it had very little storage space and yet they managed to reserve two lower compartments for gray and black tanks One of the tank sewer pipes is actually in worse location and orientation than the model in question, and I don't believe it had the option to rotate. I had to wait another 7 months to find and buy what I wanted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190622_132925.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	39599   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190622_131526.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	39600  

Old 09-29-2022, 12:00 AM   #18

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
... cut...

Analogy: If a kid is screaming in a grocery store, it's NOT the parent's fault or responsibility. .
Old 09-29-2022, 12:11 AM   #19
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Analogy: If a kid is screaming in a grocery store, it's NOT the parent's fault or responsibility. .
You missed the point again. TMC builds the crap not necessarily the other Thor operating units. Thor is responsible for the cheap TMC crap being rolled out.

Buy cheap, get cheap, live with cheap.
Old 09-29-2022, 12:25 AM   #20

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Mine is just like that and it works great. I leave it pointing down, because there is no reason to tip it up. If it stops working I'll replace it. If it goes out after that I'll replace it and leave it facing down