Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2018, 12:57 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau BL
State: California
THOR #13076
Shocked in California!

Just downsized from a 2005 National Dolphin LX 37’ class A, to a 2019 Thor Chateau BL (Sprinter) 24’. I’m shocked, and not in a good way! I fear I’ve made a horrible mistake.
Now that it’s been sitting in front of my house for two weeks as I wait for aftermarket add ons to arrive, and get her loaded with what I need to live inside, I’m seeing just how poorly this little coach was manufactured, and with such cheaply made materials. I’m almost afraid to leave on my first trip for fear of what will fail, since I’ll be traveling alone with my three small dogs.

I caught several things already not working during my walk through....like the tankless hot water system! It’s working now, but??

I was surprised on the walkthrough to be told I have a valve on each side of the coach that must be opened in order to dump my black tank? The guy at the dealer wasn’t able to tell me why when I questioned him. Also shocked that the dump valves are outside of the coach (not in a compartment) and I must sit or lie on the ground to access them. I’m a female, and that certainly sounds like lots of fun in wet weather.

While I was lying on the ground today, trying to see under the coach, I noticed lots of things held together by very long zip ties with 12” or more of the ends of the zip ties sticking in all directions. Someone couldn’t be bothered to trim them, I guess. Also large sections of black sticky paper have come loose from whatever they were stuck to, and are just hanging! Speaking of hanging, so is my fresh water tank. Screws on one side have already pulled out from where they were attached, and the weight of the tank looks to be crimping some hoses.

I could go on and on, but it’s probably pointless.
Anyway, just wanted to say hello to you all, and I guess I’ll be hanging around here to see what all I can learn. Thanks in advance for putting up with me!! 🙄

Old 09-13-2018, 01:03 AM   #2

THOR #9612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynphony View Post
Just downsized from a 2005 National Dolphin LX 37’ class A, to a 2019 Thor Chateau BL (Sprinter) 24’. I’m shocked, and not in a good way! I fear I’ve made a horrible mistake.
Now that it’s been sitting in front of my house for two weeks as I wait for aftermarket add ons to arrive, and get her loaded with what I need to live inside, I’m seeing just how poorly this little coach was manufactured, and with such cheaply made materials. I’m almost afraid to leave on my first trip for fear of what will fail, since I’ll be traveling alone with my three small dogs.

I caught several things already not working during my walk through....like the tankless hot water system! It’s working now, but??

I was surprised on the walkthrough to be told I have a valve on each side of the coach that must be opened in order to dump my black tank? The guy at the dealer wasn’t able to tell me why when I questioned him. Also shocked that the dump valves are outside of the coach (not in a compartment) and I must sit or lie on the ground to access them. I’m a female, and that certainly sounds like lots of fun in wet weather.

While I was lying on the ground today, trying to see under the coach, I noticed lots of things held together by very long zip ties with 12” or more of the ends of the zip ties sticking in all directions. Someone couldn’t be bothered to trim them, I guess. Also large sections of black sticky paper have come loose from whatever they were stuck to, and are just hanging! Speaking of hanging, so is my fresh water tank. Screws on one side have already pulled out from where they were attached, and the weight of the tank looks to be crimping some hoses.

I could go on and on, but it’s probably pointless.
Anyway, just wanted to say hello to you all, and I guess I’ll be hanging around here to see what all I can learn. Thanks in advance for putting up with me!! [emoji849]
Sorry to hear of your problems, the new RV,s are not built to the older standards, it took me a year to get mind up to what it should of been off the lot, my best advice is temper your
anger, I had to, but now I am happy with my RV, good luck
Old 09-13-2018, 01:23 AM   #3

Model: Chateau BL
THOR #13076
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad523 View Post
Sorry to hear of your problems, the new RV,s are not built to the older standards, it took me a year to get mind up to what it should of been off the lot, my best advice is temper your
anger, I had to, but now I am happy with my RV, good luck
Yeah, just really frustrated right now. I am glad to hear you were able to get your RV to where it should be, and that you’re happy with it. That gives me hope! Thanks!
Old 09-13-2018, 01:44 AM   #4

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
most people think its ok to have to go through this even if it takes 6 months before you can use your MH. just bite your lip and be nice. number1 answer it will get better.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:50 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I agree with tigwelder. If you have the ability, fix the lesser things yourself. We have on our new Hurricane. We have done lots of repairs ourselves and honestly, there is a certain amount of pride in that. If you can tough it out, it will get better.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:03 AM   #6

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynphony View Post
Yeah, just really frustrated right now. I am glad to hear you were able to get your RV to where it should be, and that you’re happy with it. That gives me hope! Thanks!
I hope you bought from a good, supportive dealer. I have heard there are a few around. Get your appointment for the warrenty work and make a good punch list. If you are unable to do the undercarriage issues you may want to look for an independent suspension shop. They may do a better job and a better inspection of the RV. I paid $90 bucks to have my Sumo Springs installed and that included an undercarriage inspection. Worth every penny.

Good Luck and Happy Travels
Old 09-13-2018, 11:35 AM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Don't let the dealer hold your unit hostage as well: If they say they need to order parts go pick it up and tell them you'll return it when the parts arrive.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:59 AM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm sorry to hear of your difficulties...
But Welcome To The Forum anyway!
(And it will get better: just give your rig some time, and some elbow grease...)
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:26 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
You know most RVs have their holding tank valves exposed below the floor. It's only in the Class A world that they can be put in a compartment. Did you not see that when you were shopping for this coach?

Now the other comments are probably fully justified; unfortunately we see this poor workmanship/quality all the time now and it doesn't matter what name is on the coach as they all do the same crap.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:33 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Perhaps a copy of this song should be included in every RV sale...

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote