Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2019, 02:08 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Rims leaking air

I have a 2018 Thor Siesta 24SS which is built on a Mercedes Benz chassis. We went on a 6700 mile southern states trip back in April returning in late May. When I went out side the following day to move the mh, the front passenger tire was flat. I changed it out and took it to a local shop to repair the tire. Nothing in the tire but the rim was leaking from a weld/crack in the rim. Had to replace the rim. A few weeks later we went to Tombstone and back for 4 days (1000 miles rt). I went outside the next day[B] and the inside rear tire was flat. I again changed it out and found that the rim was leaking air from a weld/crack and had to replace that rim. I called my mh dealership to find out if they have had any complaints/issues with the rims. Nothing. I called my local mb dealership about the rim issue. Nothing. This is my 2nd mh built on a mb chassis. The one Winnebago we traded in was a 2016 Winnebago Era and we never had an issue with the rims leaking air. Anybody else out there having the same issue? When we travel I only carry enough water for the time on the road which is less than 1/3 tank. We love the Thor Siesta model.

Old 07-09-2019, 02:40 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
What sort of roads are you driving on?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:04 PM   #3

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
It sounds like a faulty run of wheels. But, possibly nobody else has had their rim tested like you have had done. dunno...
Old 07-09-2019, 03:16 PM   #4

THOR #12698
I have been driving on interstate and state routes the entire time. No dirt off roads. I have not been boon docking in this motor home. I filed a complaint with the national safety board after I read another complaint about the same issue. Another mh built on a mb 2017 chassis had 4 of their 7 rims fail due to the same problem. My trade in mh was a 2016 Winnebago Era that was also built on a mb chassis and I never had a problem with the rims. I think this was a bad run from the factory that built the rims in 2017. I was wondering if anybody else out there has experienced the same issue. The rim are not cheap from mb ($133.00 each). I found a shop that sells knock offs at a much cheaper price. I am hoping that I do not have a failure while out driving. I do have the tyron safety bands installed on the 4 outside wheels.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:20 AM   #5

Model: Windsport. 35M
THOR #6199
Have you checked the NHTSA ( National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) web site to see if anybody posted a complaint? You should post your complaint there. Faulty rims are definitely a safety issue. They may contact you for more info. It might start a recall.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:27 AM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Since the rims and tires are generally chassis components shouldn't they be covered and replaced under the MB chassis warranty?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:00 AM   #7

THOR #6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn62 View Post
Have you checked the NHTSA ( National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) web site to see if anybody posted a complaint? You should post your complaint there. Faulty rims are definitely a safety issue. They may contact you for more info. It might start a recall.
I just read your post again. I see you already did it now.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:53 AM   #8

THOR #12698
I tried but the mercedes benz dealership said that I needed to have purchased the extended optional tire and rim warranty from them when I bought the mh. I explained to them that I didn't buy the motor home from Mercedes Benz but an R V Dealership who didn't offer that type of coverage. My R V Dealership asked me when I purchased the mh and it was 3 months outside the 1 year warranty period otherwise he said they would have warrantied it.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:05 PM   #9

THOR #6199
Looks like you have to go over both dealerships’ heads. I would complain up the ladder. It looks like an unusual safety issue that is relatively inexpensive for them to fix. The rim manufacturer should step up. I would like to know the name and address of both the dealers that are jerking you around. You should post it here. They gave you a quick, easy answer and hope you go away. Who is the manufacturer of the rims?