Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2021, 09:36 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
Glad I got a 28A. No slides. (JMHO)

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 10:17 AM   #42

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetaylor55 View Post
Glad I got a 28A. No slides. (JMHO)

Sure..... a coach with no slides simplifies things.... but they don't fit everyone's style of camping.

If you only take short trips and camp on the weekends, that can work. But if you are on the road 2 or 3 months at a time and in one place for a week or more, living in a sardine can is not for me.... or some other people.

Slides can be problematic but they can also work very well when designed and built properly.
Old 07-21-2021, 01:44 PM   #43
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Sure..... a coach with no slides simplifies things.... but they don't fit everyone's style of camping.

If you only take short trips and camp on the weekends, that can work. But if you are on the road 2 or 3 months at a time and in one place for a week or more, living in a sardine can is not for me.... or some other people.

Slides can be problematic but they can also work very well when designed and built properly.
Well said and I totally agree
Old 07-21-2021, 03:13 PM   #44

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post

I want slides just to sit in the mh in my driveway

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:03 PM   #45

Model: RS36
THOR #24133
Success. The mobile tech was able to pull some strings within the company and get me into La Mesa Service center in Davis first thing this morning. Luckily I had Amazon same day ship me a new motor yesterday, so they were able to replace the motor since I had one in hand. The tech thought the original one was installed incorrectly and twisted and wedged itself into the slide. They were able to remove and replace. 6x+ cycles and seems to be working fine now.

So, hopefully vacation across the country for Cooperstown baseball is on. There are still lots of little things to work on, but nothing preventing the core functions.

Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8380.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	32176   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8381.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	32177  

Old 07-21-2021, 09:12 PM   #46

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbenson View Post
Success. The mobile tech was able to pull some strings within the company and get me into La Mesa Service center in Davis first thing this morning. Luckily I had Amazon same day ship me a new motor yesterday, so they were able to replace the motor since I had one in hand. The tech thought the original one was installed incorrectly and twisted and wedged itself into the slide. They were able to remove and replace. 6x+ cycles and seems to be working fine now.

So, hopefully vacation across the country for Cooperstown baseball is on. There are still lots of little things to work on, but nothing preventing the core functions.

Eric
I am glad they were able to get you going. That is great news giving you are leaving on your trip in a few days.

I would still bet the house they did not get the set screw into the slot at the top of the motor during assembly. It was probably butted against the motor housing and not into the slot. As a result the motor was at an angle and the housing was rubbing the slide box and possibly even lifting out of the gear box a bit. At least it was not a problem with the H-Column or worse... the slide box not being square.

I would send pictures and documentation to Thor and ask them if they will send you a replacement motor that you can keep as a sapre. Otherwise if you send them the Amazon receipt they will reimbuse you. Thor's customer service us great and they did send me a new motor when I had to use my spare motor to fix my issue caused by an improperly installed screw... and they did it when I was out of warranty.

I carry a very, very extensive spare parts kit for my coach. I have parts for the slide, tankless water heater, general plumbing, refrigerator and several other components.

For the slide, I carry the following as an FYI:

- Spare 500:1 motor
- Spare motor wiring harness
- Spare Controller
Old 07-21-2021, 09:56 PM   #47

THOR #24133
Thanks, yes I saw some of your previous posts, and that is one of the reason's I immediately ordered the motor and another harness (to help with troubleshooting or bypass). I will chat with Thor to see if I can get reimbursed for the motor. And of course now I will carry a spare.

Do you have another post with your list of spares, as that would be a great sticky. I am significantly increasing my toolbox size for this trip to at least be able to work on little things as they come up.

Eric
Old 07-21-2021, 10:14 PM   #48

THOR #12751
Quote:
Thanks, yes I saw some of your previous posts, and that is one of the reason's I immediately ordered the motor and another harness (to help with troubleshooting or bypass). I will chat with Thor to see if I can get reimbursed for the motor. And of course now I will carry a spare.

Do you have another post with your list of spares, as that would be a great sticky. I am significantly increasing my toolbox size for this trip to at least be able to work on little things as they come up.

Eric

Hey Eric….. I have not posted my full spares kit but that is a great idea. I will start a thread shortly and people can add things they carry that I may not or more specific to specific models.

Have a great trip and safe travels!
Old 07-23-2021, 02:13 PM   #49

Model: Magnitude RB34
State: Montana
THOR #2531
Known Issues

Is there a thread for known issues and if not can you incorporate that into your thread Judge?
Old 07-24-2021, 11:42 AM   #50

Model: Accolade 37L
State: Arkansas
THOR #13243
Hey OP, now that your slide is working, when do we get the pics of the new floorplan?
Old 07-24-2021, 06:40 PM   #51

THOR #24133
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyFluffer View Post
Hey OP, now that your slide is working, when do we get the pics of the new floorplan?
The dealer was able to replace the motor and so far the slide seems to be working just fine. The mobile tech that pulled some strings for me at the dealer received a nice bottle of tequila and the tech + service adviser received some beer for squeezing me in as it was impossible to get an appointment anywhere.

As for the floorpan, Thor finally updated their website. They basically took the RB34 and added 2 feet and was able to get a king bed and more space in the bathroom / kitchen + F600 chassis. My OCCC is now 3.3k lbs so no worries about being overweight.

One thing to note, if you are buying right from the factory, Thor is not consistent on which model the Sofa vs Theater Seats are standard (and they switched which one is standard from 2021 to 2022). So we thought we were getting the Sofa as in 2021 the Sofa was standard in the bunkhouse, but in 2022 the theater seats are standard. Anyway, we will probably look to swap them for a sofa bed later when there we can get a hold of it. The website is very clear now, but it was not when we ordered 1.5 month ago.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image 7-24-21 at 11.32 AM.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	32210  
Old 07-24-2021, 11:49 PM   #52

Model: Accolade 37L
State: Arkansas
THOR #13243
Ok, so any difference in outside storage? More maybe? Does having the W/D option still completely eliminate having a hanging wardrobe like it did on the RB34? I was hoping the extra 2 feet would mitigate a couple space issues (king bed is nice) as well as OCC issues
Old 07-25-2021, 08:29 AM   #53

THOR #24133
There is a small hanging wardrobe next to the W/D cabinet, so looks like that was additional from the previous bunkhouse. I am not sure on the outside storage, but my guess is they just added more to fill in the length as there are doors the entire length.

Eric
Old 07-27-2021, 05:26 AM   #54

THOR #24133
Oh, will the fun never end with my new rv.

For reference I followed all of Judges items to determine if my BIM was operating per the list before I left on my trip

1). The chassis voltage will not go above 13.2 volts locking the slide out. After driving 12 hours today we pulled into the campground and with the engine running and generator running it only sits at 12.9 or even 13.1. But since it can’t get to 13.2 I am locked out of the slide. After 10 min of Turing things on and off and connecting to shore power I got it barely to 13.2 to open my slide. After waiting for 2 hours I was able to get a hold of the emergency tech support and we walked though everything with my voltmeter. What we found was the ac/dc converter circuit breaker has tripped. But. Here is the big win in this rv design. If the slide is in and you want to access the fuse / breaker box that can fix the voltage problem it. is facing the slide so you can’t access it to flip the breaker. This is A huge problem as there is absolutely no way to access the fuses and breakers to fix a problem to get the slide out. Also even if the ad/dc converter is not working. Wouldn’t the engine alternator drive rhe correct voltage since it should be sitting at 13.8 to 14 V?

2. No hot water and kinked hoses. After getting to the campsite we tried to get the kids showered and absolutely no water when the faucet was moved to hot. So i also found the kitchen had 0 water. I was able to track down the kinked line in the slide mechanism. But now I get pressure but only hot water for like 2 seconds then nothing. The pressure remains fine but no hot water.

The tech on call believes there are issues with my wiring as the chassis battery should always read at least 13.8v when the engine is on.

This is also the second time time the ac/dc converter has tripped so another fun problem to track down.

Eric
Old 07-27-2021, 06:11 AM   #55

THOR #24133
So I was able to get the hot water working. Power cycle and double checked the fuse. Maybe air in the lines was affecting the flow meter. Who knows.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:18 AM   #56

THOR #12751
Quote:
Oh, will the fun never end with my new rv.

For reference I followed all of Judges items to determine if my BIM was operating per the list before I left on my trip

1). The chassis voltage will not go above 13.2 volts locking the slide out. After driving 12 hours today we pulled into the campground and with the engine running and generator running it only sits at 12.9 or even 13.1. But since it can’t get to 13.2 I am locked out of the slide. After 10 min of Turing things on and off and connecting to shore power I got it barely to 13.2 to open my slide. After waiting for 2 hours I was able to get a hold of the emergency tech support and we walked though everything with my voltmeter. What we found was the ac/dc converter circuit breaker has tripped. But. Here is the big win in this rv design. If the slide is in and you want to access the fuse / breaker box that can fix the voltage problem it. is facing the slide so you can’t access it to flip the breaker. This is A huge problem as there is absolutely no way to access the fuses and breakers to fix a problem to get the slide out. Also even if the ad/dc converter is not working. Wouldn’t the engine alternator drive rhe correct voltage since it should be sitting at 13.8 to 14 V?

2. No hot water and kinked hoses. After getting to the campsite we tried to get the kids showered and absolutely no water when the faucet was moved to hot. So i also found the kitchen had 0 water. I was able to track down the kinked line in the slide mechanism. But now I get pressure but only hot water for like 2 seconds then nothing. The pressure remains fine but no hot water.

The tech on call believes there are issues with my wiring as the chassis battery should always read at least 13.8v when the engine is on.

This is also the second time time the ac/dc converter has tripped so another fun problem to track down.

Eric
Shame on you..... you did not do your homework and read the dozens of my Magnitude posts on the Girard Tankless and the BIM160 to solve your slide and hot water problems.

1) Slide Issue:

I'm 99.9% sure that your BIM160 (Battery Isolation Manager) located in the battery compartment is wired backwards. You need to swap the Chassis Battery and House Battery positive cables.

The chassis batteries cable needs to be on the BATT-A post and the house batteries cable needs to be on the BATT-B post. Also the chassis battery voltage monitorng wire needs to be on the BATT-A post. The wire from the Emergency Start switch needs to be on the SIG post and the

I have posted about this numerous times. Here is one of the posts. Read post #2 in this thread:

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f1...ges-25455.html

Be careful when swapping the cables. You should disconnect the negative leads on both chassis batteries and the house batteries before swapping the cables.

Here is how you can verify Thor wired the BIM160 backwards:

1) Note Chassis and House Battery Voltages

2) Plug into shore power (engine should not be running)

3) Turn on the headlights

4) Chassis batteries should eventually hits ~12.5V and you should hear the BIM relay kick in and the chassis batteies should be 13.5V minimum.

5) Turn off headlights and unplug shore power

6) Start the engine

7) Start draining the house batteries by having Inverter on, TV on, lights on, furnace on, etc.

8) When the house battery voltage hits ~12.V you should you should hear the BIM relay kick in and the chassis batteies should be 13.5V minimum.

If the voltages do not behave this way, your BIM is wired incorrectly per all my posts on this topic.

Until you fix the issue, being on shore power or generator power while the key is in the run position or the engine running should let you operate the slide.

2) Girard Tankless Water Heater:

I have had a Girard GSWH-2 in my last two coaches and we love them. We can take a hot shower for 30 minutes is we want. The key is knowing how to properly use them.

1) Water flow is key. You need 40 - 45 PSI minimum and 55 PSI of pressure is optimal.

2) You need to remove all your strainer / filters at the faucets and clean them of contruction and other debris that limit flow. Most people don't realize how much debris is in the faucet strainer / filters that are restricting flow.

- There is also a strainer / filter at the water inlet on the back of the garage. You need to check that one as well but it may be harder to get to depending on the design of your coach.

3) Only use hot water.... DO NOT MIX cold water. You set the desired tempeature you want and it will keep the water at that temperature. My wife likes 108 and I like 105. We set the temperature, turn on the hot water and take a shower for as long as we want. When she is washing dishes she sets it to 115.

4) Do not run another faucet (or flush the toilet) when using hot water at another faucet. Again, it is all about proper flow. RV's are not like your home that has plenty of pressure to keep flow contstant with multiple faucets in use at the same time.

5) The water flow control on the back of the unit should basically be wide open. However, if camping in colder temps and climates, slowing the flow can help when ground water or tank water temps are very cold. If the flow is too fast, the water does not spend enough time in the heat exchanger to get fully hot.

We have full hook-ups 90% of the time so water usage is not an issue to us. If someone does a lot of dry camping, then a traditional hot water tank heater is more suitable. Otherwise, we have have not had any real complaints with the Girard Tankless.

I also recommend changing faucets from a single control to dual control faucets. The single cartridge in the cheap faucets used in RV's can sometimes leak and allow cold water to mix with the hot water.

I replaced my shower control from a dual to a single so when I turn on the hot, there can only be hot water. I also replaced the bathroom and outdoor kitchen faucets as well to dual controls with a high arch moveable spout.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:46 AM   #57

THOR #12751
Oh..... and send me your address so I can send you a bill! You can always forward it to Thor and ask them to send me the check.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:56 AM   #58

THOR #12751
Soon to be new owner of Magnitude RS36

And Thor Customer Service.... in case you happen to read this thread......

I have told the Service Center in Wakarusa almost two years ago and have posted numerous times on this forum that the factory is wiring the BIM160 and BIM225 incorrectly. This problem is causing owners unnecessary 12V problems and clogging up your Customer Support Lines and eating into your Warranty Expense Budget for no reason!!!

Can you PLEASE tell someone they need to update the wiring schematics for the battery compartment so the guys on the floor wire the BIM160/225 properly. The Thor schematics are wrong..... plain and simple.

This is the way the BIM160/225 needs to be wired to work properly:

1) Chassis Battery Positive Cable Connected to the BATT-A post on the BIM.

2) Chassis Battery Voltage Monitoring Wire Connected to the BATT-A post on the BIM.

3) House Battery Positive Cable Connected to the BATT-B post on the BIM.

4) Emergency Start Switch Wire Connected to the SIG post on the BIM.

5) The Ignition Switch Wire Connected to the IGN post on the BIM.

This first picture is from Precision Industries and shows how the BIM should be wired per my instructions above.

The second picture is from the Thor Schematics. It shows the BIM upside down compared to the Precision Industries schmatics so the Chassis Battery is going to S5, which is actually the BATT-B post. Them it shows the House Battery going to S4, which is the BATT-A post. I don't care what anyone else says, this is incorrect and causing 12V problems with several models.

Every person I have had wire the BIM per my above instructions solved their 12V issues. Other coach manufacturers are wiring the BIM the way I described as well. I have even posted other RV manufacturers schematics on here showing how it should be wired.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 5.55.19 AM.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	32266   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 5.57.55 AM.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	32267  

Old 07-28-2021, 02:00 AM   #59

THOR #24133
And now my generator is dead. Driving through Cheyenne it stopped running. Was able to get to a nice diesel and Onan mechanic that was able to pull the error code. It showed 32 which meant either the starter was not doing or the sensor to pick up engine rotations was not working. Well we bypassed the battery and tried to jump it at the starter snd spun well but no start. So most likely the circuit board is done.

Hopefully I can get a hold of customer service and we can see if I can get a new generator at Wakarusa. I can’t really leave it anywhere as I am with 4 kids and 2 dogs.

Hoping Thor can come through.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:00 AM   #60

Model: Magnitude RB34
State: Montana
THOR #2531
Thor Service

They will take great care of you at the factory service. I just left there today. I gave them a heads up you were having problems.

Let me know how your visit goes. Safe travels. They do have water and electric on site for you and also a dump station.