Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2022, 12:17 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.4
State: California
THOR #28446
Soon to be new Thor Vegas owner

Hello everyone, New to this forum and new to RV-ing as well. Have ordered a Vegas 24.4 with delivery sometime January-ish (2023) to coincide with my retirement. Have been searching the forum for ideas and knowledge and decided that it was time to become an official member of the group.

Old 11-10-2022, 12:26 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Welcome, and congrats on both the retirement and the new Vegas!
Old 11-10-2022, 02:03 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Congratulation on the retirement. You'll have plenty to do with your new found free time. Owning a Thor can be a full time job.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 11:19 AM   #4

Model: Quantum RQ29
THOR #13648
Congrats and welcome to the forum
Old 11-10-2022, 12:33 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Glad you found the forum and congrats on the new purchase. Now enjoy the new freedom of the road and explore the countryside in your new rv.

Paul
Old 11-10-2022, 01:09 PM   #6

Model: Four Winds 5K
State: Louisiana
THOR #28165
Well done and happy travels.!
Old 11-10-2022, 03:19 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Pilot View Post
Hello everyone, New to this forum and new to RV-ing as well. Have ordered a Vegas 24.4 with delivery sometime January-ish (2023) to coincide with my retirement. Have been searching the forum for ideas and knowledge and decided that it was time to become an official member of the group.
Welcome!

Some initial tips:
1 - Test all systems (Electrical, Water, leveling, slides, etc) before taking possession (PDI)
2 - Leave the dealer with an appointment already booked to fix things you will find.
3 - Go camping close to your dealer as soon as you can after taking possession for at least one weekend and make a list what you will find need fixing.
4 - Take the MH back to the dealer at the appointment made on step 2
5 - Learn to separate huge problems (thing that can ruin your trips) from annoyances (things that are not working but will not hold you from traveling), this helps with your mindset.
6 - Like a boat, airplane or something like that, a MH requires a mindset of preventive maintenance (keep looking for things that can go wrong) and hands on spirit (I can fix it)

Enjoy!
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 03:28 PM   #8

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Hi!
Hope you enjoy it for many years. You made a great choice!
Old 11-10-2022, 03:38 PM   #9

THOR #28446
Thanks everyone for your support.

RACarvalho, Thanks for the list. I have already lined up an inspector for when the Vegas arrives. My plan is to have inspection completed and all items corrected BEFORE taking delivery (paying $$). Already planning for our first mid-week outing for the shakedown cruse.

Thanks again everyone
Old 11-10-2022, 04:13 PM   #10

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
Welcome aboard! Nice rig the 24.4.
Be advised retirement is a full-time job!
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 04:13 PM   #11

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Thanks everyone for your support.

RACarvalho, Thanks for the list. I have already lined up an inspector for when the Vegas arrives. My plan is to have inspection completed and all items corrected BEFORE taking delivery (paying $$). Already planning for our first mid-week outing for the shakedown cruse.

Thanks again everyone
You can do that, but in my experience it takes real camping (no hookups) to find the hidden problems.

David
Old 11-16-2022, 10:37 PM   #12

Model: Vegas 24.3
State: Alabama
THOR #25790
Quote:
Hello, congratulations on your retirement and choice of motor coach; I have a 2022 Vegas 24.3, and like you, I ordered mine for retirement. You will enjoy your choice! ��
Old 11-19-2022, 04:13 PM   #13

Model: Serrano 34M
THOR #28493
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
Welcome!

Some initial tips:
1 - Test all systems (Electrical, Water, leveling, slides, etc) before taking possession (PDI)
2 - Leave the dealer with an appointment already booked to fix things you will find.
3 - Go camping close to your dealer as soon as you can after taking possession for at least one weekend and make a list what you will find need fixing.
4 - Take the MH back to the dealer at the appointment made on step 2
5 - Learn to separate huge problems (thing that can ruin your trips) from annoyances (things that are not working but will not hold you from traveling), this helps with your mindset.
6 - Like a boat, airplane or something like that, a MH requires a mindset of preventive maintenance (keep looking for things that can go wrong) and hands on spirit (I can fix it)

Enjoy!
OUTSTANDING advice from RC, especially #5 and 6! We are new as well but parents had an RV when I was a kid. We made multiple trips “out west” and such. My dad was ALWAYS tinkering and now I find myself ALWAYS tinkering with something as well. Fortunately for me, I enjoy that sort of thing. More advice: a tool kit is a must. Nothing fancy, something from a big box store is fine at first. All makes of RV have issues. Remember you are taking your home filled with furniture and bouncing it down the highway. I read somewhere that is equivalent to a constant 7.2 on the Richter Scale!!!
Old 11-19-2022, 05:24 PM   #14

THOR #28446
Thanks Hork,
I’m a pilot and built my own plane (Van’s RV) hence the RV Pilot handle. As. Pilot and builder I’m used to maintenance and keeping ahead of problems.
Old 11-19-2022, 05:36 PM   #15

THOR #28493
Quote:
Thanks Hork,
I’m a pilot and built my own plane (Van’s RV) hence the RV Pilot handle. As. Pilot and builder I’m used to maintenance and keeping ahead of problems.
Very cool! Which RV did you build? Would love to do that! Commercial airline pilot myself, retired military, former Navy and retired USAF. Flew the B-1B

Hork
Old 11-19-2022, 05:48 PM   #16

THOR #28446
Hork,
Sounds like you had a great flying carrier. We built an RV-9A. Currently flying formation with a retired Navy Captain and retired Airlines pilot. You Navy guys are great pilots. Will probably be selling the plane as I don't think I'll be able to afford both with hangar and storage rental costs in addition to the maintenance.
Old 11-19-2022, 08:35 PM   #17

THOR #28493
Quote:
Hork,
Sounds like you had a great flying carrier. We built an RV-9A. Currently flying formation with a retired Navy Captain and retired Airlines pilot. You Navy guys are great pilots. Will probably be selling the plane as I don't think I'll be able to afford both with hangar and storage rental costs in addition to the maintenance.
Sounds fun! If it helps your decision I had an airplane for about 9 yrs. Got furloughed after 9/11 and to sell it; one of my worst days flying waiving goodbye to my airplane. Greatest freedom I have ever had owning an aircraft, miss it every day. I can’t imagine waiving goodbye to an aircraft that I built.
Old 11-19-2022, 08:40 PM   #18

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Hork,

I understand THAT! I built a Titan Tornado and flew for several years. But when my company “retired” me in 2016 I realized that if I was going to have an expensive hobby I needed one that DW could share. It turned out to be RVing. I still fly occasionally with some flying buddies but mostly it makes me miss it too much and I’m better off not flying at all. My instructor was a Navy pilot and I loved his stories. And I NEVER stopped being amazed at what he could do with an airplane even one as lowly as a Skycatcher. Enjoy it while you can! All that said, we love our RV and have been in 45 states since 2016.
Old 11-20-2022, 03:50 PM   #19

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
Interesting how many pilots and previous retired pilots migrate to the RV lifestyle. Must be the attraction to all the different systems, combined into one vehicle. Same mental side of the brain, different machine...

Enjoy your Vegas, the dealer will do a complete walk thru and checklist with you, you will need to initial that your reviewed each system, they move fast, so tell em... "ah, explain how that works one more time?"

I built a Rutan Long-Ez in the 80's. Then onto Pan Am to complete my flyin career, now a RV pilot.....sometimes i remark, i need a left rudder when the 18 wheelers come flyin bye on the LHS.
Old 11-20-2022, 11:43 PM   #20

THOR #28446
I think us pilots end up with RV's because our better half won't fly and it's easier to bring the dogs along.