Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2019, 10:35 PM   #1

State: Arkansas
THOR #16747
Hello and help

Hey all! I am Sheryl from VA.
Just bought a 2020 Thor Freedom Elite 26 HE. I am on my first trip and I have no hot water. I am so frustrated. I have called a repair man and he said to take the cover off the bench seat so I can get to the back side of the water heater and find the three relay switches. Turn the all straight up and down. Problem is I do not see any relay switches. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Thank you!

Old 09-22-2019, 10:49 PM   #2
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheryl View Post
Hey all! I am Sheryl from VA.
Just bought a 2020 Thor Freedom Elite 26 HE. I am on my first trip and I have no hot water. I am so frustrated. I have called a repair man and he said to take the cover off the bench seat so I can get to the back side of the water heater and find the three relay switches. Turn the all straight up and down. Problem is I do not see any relay switches. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Thank you!
Relay switches? Sounds like he was describing the water valves that are used to bypass the hot water heater for winterizing...
There is one in the cold (blue) line, one in the hot (red) line, and one that bridges the hot and cold. To use the hot water heater, the valves on the hot and cold lines should be open (handle runs along the lines), and the valve that bridges hot and cold should be closed (handle is 90 degrees to lines).
Turn on hot water faucet and allow tank to fill. Then turn on electric or propane to hot water heater.
Hope that helps...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:01 PM   #3
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Hi Sheryl … this is Kay … GMC has several good points.
In addition...if you have water flowing through your hot water tank...
if you are using propane to heat your water...if you are not hooked up to elec...
turn on a gas cooktop burner, lighting it...run for about minute.

Sometimes your propane gas line will get an air lock and turning on a burner will clear the line. We were told this by an OLD camper many years ago and it has helped us through a situation similar to this...

like if your refrigerator will not show running on gas(propane) going down the road.

Make sure your propane levels are good too !

Good luck with this one !

Kay
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:07 PM   #4

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Sheryl -- are you sure he didn't say 3 VALVES not switches. Near the back of your water heater there are 3 valves (I sent you a schematic of these vales). I'm going to assume that your RV was winterized, and I'm going to also assume who ever winterized it left the 3 valves in the WINTERIZED position. as shown in the lower diagram.

1. You see on the diagram there is a valve on the cold water line going into the water heater. There is also a valve on the hot water line coming out of the water heater. Then there is a short piece of water line that connects the cold water line to the hot water line with a valve (called the Water Heater Bypass Valve). So when you winterize you want to bypass the hot water tank or you are going to pump 6 gallons of RV anti freeze into the hot water tank. So to keep from doing that and only putting antifreeze in the water lines you would CLOSE the hot water output valve and CLOSE the Cold Water input valve to the water heater. With these two valves closed, you would then OPEN the Hot Water Tank Bypass valve and the water would flow from the cold water line into the hot water line completely bypassing the water heater. This is what the lower diagram shows you. So if those valves are still positioned that way -- the cold water is going to flow directly into the cold water line, not flow into the water heater, and the net outcome would be -- NO HOT WATER.

2. So what you need to do is be sure that the 3 valves are positioned for normal hot water operation (as shown in the upper diagram). You would OPEN both the hot water heater output valve and the cold water input valve. Opening these two valves will allow water to flow into and out of the hot water heater. BUT, you can't let that bypass valve open or a significant amount of cold water will still flow into the hot water line. CLOSE the bypass valve and now the only way water will flow is from the cold water input line, into the water heater (where it will now be heated), and then out the hot water line into the faucets.

3. I believe your hot water tank is under the seat as the repair guy said -- just look for valves not switches. The second picture shows the back of the hot water heater on my Thor Vegas. Yours should look similar -- just in a different place. The valve on the blue line on the bottom is the Hot Water Beater Cold Water input valve. The valve way up on top on the red line is the Hot Water Heater Output valve. And the valve just above the heat duct is the Hot Water Heater Bypass Valve. The configuration of my valves was for normal use -- hot water and cold water lines OPEN, Bypass line CLOSED.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Heater Bypass 2.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	20418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Heater Bypass.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	20419  

2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:15 AM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Hi Sheryl!
They've got you pointed in the right direction, so I'm{{ just say "Welcome o the Forum!"
Old 09-23-2019, 12:53 AM   #6

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
We had the same issue on our RS26. The dealer left the valve in the blue (supply) line closed. Our valves were accessed through the cabinet door under the sink. I had to remove a plywood divider behind the trash can to reach the valve.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:36 AM   #7

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Ohio
THOR #14952
bevelfelker: you sure did a very thorough answer, that was awesome!