Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2019, 05:59 PM   #1
WJd

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nevada
THOR #15243
Thor 4 winds 24f purchase.....rear stabilizers

Greetings, I just completed my purchase of the Four Winds 24f Class C 2017 coach. I average around 11 miles per gallon on the 560 mile drive home which was satisfactory to me compared to previous Class C RVs I have owned. The only issue I had was trying to retract one of the rear stabilizers during the slide out.
Any helpful comments from Carson City is appreciated

Old 05-06-2019, 06:19 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Congratulations and welcome.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:01 PM   #3

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
I have a 2017 24F as well. So far no issues with the stabilizers. Could you give a little more info on what the problem was. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:20 AM   #4

State: Arizona
THOR #13228
I too have a 2017 24F. The stabilizer under the slide will not generally retract with the slide out. Too much cantilevered weight has been my experience. To help I have learned to utilize an 8x8 wood block to reduce the stabilizer extension and it aids to the stability by keeping the stabilizer farther out under the slide.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:37 AM   #5

Model: Four Winds 24F
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #13098
Welcome to the Thor forum! As stated above, the slide side stabilizer does have a lot of weight on it when the slide is out. We do not retract the stabilizers until the slide is in.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:46 AM   #6

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum
Old 05-07-2019, 12:23 PM   #7

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Welcome aboard! Happy camping! hope the stabilizer issue is easily resolved.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:27 PM   #8

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Interesting. I have had the best luck with keeping the coach level by deploying the stabilizers after the slide is out. Otherwise the coach pivots on the left stab when the slide goes out and the right stab comes off of the ground an inch. Throws the level off.

My routine : “level” coach 1 block (or 1”) high on the left - I use the CaravanLevel app on my iPad. Run the slide out and this gets the bedroom and fridge at level. I then deploy the stabs - left first then right. I also use 8 inch high pads under each stab like DbleDutch. No problem with stab coming back up because there isn’t any appreciable weight on them.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:53 AM   #9

State: Arizona
THOR #13228
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo12 View Post
Interesting. I have had the best luck with keeping the coach level by deploying the stabilizers after the slide is out. Otherwise the coach pivots on the left stab when the slide goes out and the right stab comes off of the ground an inch. Throws the level off.

My routine : “level” coach 1 block (or 1”) high on the left - I use the CaravanLevel app on my iPad. Run the slide out and this gets the bedroom and fridge at level. I then deploy the stabs - left first then right. I also use 8 inch high pads under each stab like DbleDutch. No problem with stab coming back up because there isn’t any appreciable weight on them.
Thanks Jimbo12, I will have to try that routine. Yes we level up with the slide side high, then run the slide out like you. Yes, with the stab out often the opposite stab lifts, but we just run it out to complete the stabilizing.
Love this forum and the peeps here.