Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2014, 01:54 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Teeitup26,
This may be long.
JamieGeek has some really good advice there. If you haven't already gone on line to Total Value In Elkhart and inquired (and even if you have actually) speak with Ivan who is the owner's son and works with the sales folks. It's fine to mention to Ivan that you were referred by Larry and Candy from GA. I plan on sending him an email and letting him know that his great service is being rewarded by recomendations from us anyway. After we checked many dealers on line and also asked TV for their best deal on the Axis 24.1 either 2014 or 2015, TV came in with the better price on the '15 than any others on a '14. The 67K price you mentioned is in line with the quote we received and the others were all above 70K many w/o the optional equipment we got on ours. We have all the optional equipment included with exception of the oven underneath the gas range which would eliminate more cabinet storage (2 drawers) and we don't cook with our gas range anyway. All cooking done outside or with the convectional m/w inside. We love the TV outside feature as we enjoy watching sports (especially college football) and the bedroom TV is nice to have also. The ceiling vent fans are a nice feature as well. Remember that sales tax is not included in the price quoted and we knew up front that we would be paying this when we registered it in GA.
If you do decide to go with T. Value, they sell them as fast as they can get their quota. We had to wait a few extra weeks for delivery to them on ours.
We just returned from a 700 mile round trip this past weekend and are still enjoying it immensely. Love the handling and maneuveurability on the Interstate as well as side streets. Gas mileage running just under 10 mpg driving it at 65. So really, we haven't found a lot to complain about with it.
As far as maintenance service, as long as records are kept so warranties aren't voided, you don't have to take it in to a Thor dealer. And if any warranty work is needed, a Thor senior customer service rep. told me I could take it to my favorite shop near me with the only possible drawback being if their price was too much out of line with a dealer's pricing, I might have to pay the difference. Said if it is close, there would be no disputing it.
Yes, you could take it in anywhere that a shop could support the weight on their racks who would do the work.
Hope this helps. Good luck with your search and purchase. I think you won't be dissapointed with the Axis or Vegas.
Hit 'um straight!

Larry
That was long. lol But informative! I'm going to the RV show in Denver and hopefully they will have all 3. Camping World is the main dealer in Colorado and talking to them is like going to jail. I contacted TV and got a email saying they would contact me soon. Automated sort of thing. Their prices are right for sure and once i determine i'm pulling the trigger they will be the one if the price is that much different. In your opinion answer me one question: how important is buying from a dealer close due to warranty issues? I'm sort of assuming you don't think it's important at all since the TV said you could get warranty anywhere if reasonable and of course you're in GA and he's in IN. So it must not matter. On the configuration situation: I cook a lot and would use the oven, but i would also cook outside when the opportunity was there. Being single, storage isn't going to be a problem really. All i need's a side of bacon and i'm good. lol I could use a travel partner and she's bring everything she's got so i need to save room for that.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:11 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeitup26 View Post
That was long. lol But informative! I'm going to the RV show in Denver and hopefully they will have all 3. Camping World is the main dealer in Colorado and talking to them is like going to jail. I contacted TV and got a email saying they would contact me soon. Automated sort of thing. Their prices are right for sure and once i determine i'm pulling the trigger they will be the one if the price is that much different. In your opinion answer me one question: how important is buying from a dealer close due to warranty issues? I'm sort of assuming you don't think it's important at all since the TV said you could get warranty anywhere if reasonable and of course you're in GA and he's in IN. So it must not matter. On the configuration situation: I cook a lot and would use the oven, but i would also cook outside when the opportunity was there. Being single, storage isn't going to be a problem really. All i need's a side of bacon and i'm good. lol I could use a travel partner and she's bring everything she's got so i need to save room for that.
Personnally, I don't see it as that important in buying at a dealer close to you vs. somewhere else that gives you a better deal. One thing to consider also in buying locally is the fact that someone is driving the rig from Elkhart to that dealership. They may be driving it much less careful than you would over potholes galore, running off the road, sleeping in it overnight if long distance or whatever comes to mind plus racking up miles. I considered this a positive in picking it up at T. Value with only 30 miles on the odometer.

As far as the cooking, the convectiion m/w will take care of most oven baking needs and allows more storage which we felt we would need. But that was just our preference. If you are planning on getting an oven, you would surely want the 15,000 BTU optional a/c. Think the 12,500 is standard.

Larry
Old 09-29-2014, 03:35 PM   #23

THOR #1067
Quote:
Personnally, I don't see it as that important in buying at a dealer close to you vs. somewhere else that gives you a better deal. One thing to consider also in buying locally is the fact that someone is driving the rig from Elkhart to that dealership. They may be driving it much less careful than you would over potholes galore, running off the road, sleeping in it overnight if long distance or whatever comes to mind plus racking up miles. I considered this a positive in picking it up at T. Value with only 30 miles on the odometer.

As far as the cooking, the convectiion m/w will take care of most oven baking needs and allows more storage which we felt we would need. But that was just our preference. If you are planning on getting an oven, you would surely want the 15,000 BTU optional a/c. Think the 12,500 is standard.

Larry

A good point you make on the unit getting to the dealer. I always thought they deliver the same way cars get to dealers; on the back of big truck. But no huh? Being from Colorado and Western Colorado to boot, it's a good 1800 miles over to Elkart, but heck just a plane ride and a cab ride i expect. How much less did the unit cost you at TV rather than your local quotes? While i was writing this email, I got a call from a salesman at TV by the name of Chad Rothrock. He says his relative is the national sales manager for Thor and owns the dealership. Do you know the dude? lol
Old 09-29-2014, 05:12 PM   #24

THOR #1123
Smile

Quote:
A good point you make on the unit getting to the dealer. I always thought they deliver the same way cars get to dealers; on the back of big truck. But no huh? Being from Colorado and Western Colorado to boot, it's a good 1800 miles over to Elkart, but heck just a plane ride and a cab ride i expect. How much less did the unit cost you at TV rather than your local quotes? While i was writing this email, I got a call from a salesman at TV by the name of Chad Rothrock. He says his relative is the national sales manager for Thor and owns the dealership. Do you know the dude? lol
It was my understanding that they are driven rather than loaded and transported to the dealerships throughout the U.S. by paid drivers. If you see one at a local dealership, check the mileage. 1800 miles is about twice as far as it was for us but that would definitely give you time to get acquainted with it on a return trip. LOL Total Value will pick you up at South Bend or one other airport (Chicago, I think) at no cost to you. We requested So. Bend and after giving Ivan our flight schedule, the driver was waiting for us on arrival. TV was almost 2K less than our other best offer from somewhere in Texas who was at a Camping World I think. This was on a 2014 with less options also. I remember meeting Chad. Think he is a nephew of the owner. To be honest, if it's who I'm thinking of, he was the least impressive and helpful. Think we met them all there. Request a price quote from Ivan or ask him to send you an email. Total Value gives you a good walk thru the coach and also encourages you to camp the first night for free in their on site camping area (pads with electric and water hookups) to "play" with the unit and check for any bugs/flaws. If you find any quality issues they will address them immediately. Hey, I'm beginning to sound like a Total Value salesman! In truth though, I have no connection with them except through our purchase but I may have to ask for a commission after this. LOL
Old 09-29-2014, 06:07 PM   #25
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Ours had about 150 miles on it when we picked it up. Most RVs are driven from the plants.

Think about break-in: If you are further than 500 miles from the plant then your engine break-in will be done by the transporter and not you.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:21 PM   #26

THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Ours had about 150 miles on it when we picked it up. Most RVs are driven from the plants.

Think about break-in: If you are further than 500 miles from the plant then your engine break-in will be done by the transporter and not you.
Thanks JamieGeek. Wasn't sure of the mileage distance. Another valid point to be considered.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:39 AM   #27

THOR #1067
Quote:
Teeitup26,
This may be long.
JamieGeek has some really good advice there. If you haven't already gone on line to Total Value In Elkhart and inquired (and even if you have actually) speak with Ivan who is the owner's son and works with the sales folks. It's fine to mention to Ivan that you were referred by Larry and Candy from GA. I plan on sending him an email and letting him know that his great service is being rewarded by recomendations from us anyway. After we checked many dealers on line and also asked TV for their best deal on the Axis 24.1 either 2014 or 2015, TV came in with the better price on the '15 than any others on a '14. The 67K price you mentioned is in line with the quote we received and the others were all above 70K many w/o the optional equipment we got on ours. We have all the optional equipment included with exception of the oven underneath the gas range which would eliminate more cabinet storage (2 drawers) and we don't cook with our gas range anyway. All cooking done outside or with the convectional m/w inside. We love the TV outside feature as we enjoy watching sports (especially college football) and the bedroom TV is nice to have also. The ceiling vent fans are a nice feature as well. Remember that sales tax is not included in the price quoted and we knew up front that we would be paying this when we registered it in GA.
If you do decide to go with T. Value, they sell them as fast as they can get their quota. We had to wait a few extra weeks for delivery to them on ours.
We just returned from a 700 mile round trip this past weekend and are still enjoying it immensely. Love the handling and maneuveurability on the Interstate as well as side streets. Gas mileage running just under 10 mpg driving it at 65. So really, we haven't found a lot to complain about with it.
As far as maintenance service, as long as records are kept so warranties aren't voided, you don't have to take it in to a Thor dealer. And if any warranty work is needed, a Thor senior customer service rep. told me I could take it to my favorite shop near me with the only possible drawback being if their price was too much out of line with a dealer's pricing, I might have to pay the difference. Said if it is close, there would be no disputing it.
Yes, you could take it in anywhere that a shop could support the weight on their racks who would do the work.
Hope this helps. Good luck with your search and purchase. I think you won't be dissapointed with the Axis or Vegas.
Hit 'um straight!

Larry

One thing i've noticed about salesman at RV dealerships this week: if you don't indicate an interest in signing a contract on the first call, you'll never hear from them again. No shit.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:07 PM   #28

THOR #1123
Quote:
One thing i've noticed about salesman at RV dealerships this week: if you don't indicate an interest in signing a contract on the first call, you'll never hear from them again. No shit.
Yeah, suppose some would be like that. Can compare to auto salesmen ("Ain't got time for you if you're not going to make my day.") On the other hand, we had some dude at a dealership in TX or OK who kept emailing us long after we had told him his price was too far out of line with the one we had settled on. Think he was at a Camping World. After about the 3rd or 4th time I told him what he could do with his quote and that we had already put down a deposit, he quit emailing. Did you get the "private" message I sent to you yesterday via the "private" messaging on this forum?
Old 09-30-2014, 05:26 PM   #29

THOR #1067
Quote:
Yeah, suppose some would be like that. Can compare to auto salesmen ("Ain't got time for you if you're not going to make my day.") On the other hand, we had some dude at a dealership in TX or OK who kept emailing us long after we had told him his price was too far out of line with the one we had settled on. Think he was at a Camping World. After about the 3rd or 4th time I told him what he could do with his quote and that we had already put down a deposit, he quit emailing. Did you get the "private" message I sent to you yesterday via the "private" messaging on this forum?
Larry, i did not get a private message from you as far as i can tell. Looked in the private message are. it said O messages. sorry
Old 09-30-2014, 05:56 PM   #30

Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
I had an opportunity see and sit in a new Axis over the weekend. I really liked the unit but I found the driver's seat to be very uncomfortable. Was it just me and the seat was not adjusted for me or are they uncomfortable to sit in and drive for six to eight hours?
Old 09-30-2014, 05:59 PM   #31

THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa9zz View Post
I had an opportunity see and sit in a new Axis over the weekend. I really liked the unit but I found the driver's seat to be very uncomfortable. Was it just me and the seat was not adjusted for me or are they uncomfortable to sit in and drive for six to eight hours?
The best guy to ask is Larry in the thread above. He's had his for 2000 miles at least. In general though, geez the seats are made by Johnson Controls and have been for years. Wouldn't think they would make an uncomfortable seat, but hey.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:07 PM   #32

THOR #1075
I had a quick tour. Maybe the seat was just way out of adjustment. It had just arrived on the lot.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:16 PM   #33

THOR #1123
Quote:
AA9ZZ, it's funny you say that because one of the first things I said to my wife when we first went inside an Axis was, "This (driver's seat) is really comfortable." I'm 6'2" and it seems to be to my liking but we do tend to stop and stretch frequently on trips. Probably after driving a couple of hours or so. It tilts and moves forward/back for positioning in addition to swiveling toward middle. (Wouldn't recommend while driving though.) The cushioning in plenty soft also.

Teeitup26...don't know why the private messaging didn't work. Will try again.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:25 PM   #34

THOR #1075
I'm sure it was just the "new" and not being adjusted yet. Is there a lumbar adjustment?

I put a deposit to hold it until I complete the sale of my current unit.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:46 PM   #35
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Ours doesn't have a lumbar adjustment: just recline and forward/backward slide position. We find the seats very comfortable.

My only issue with it, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, is that with the slide in there isn't enough room to move the seat back and recline it appreciably.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:51 PM   #36

THOR #1123
Quote:
I'm sure it was just the "new" and not being adjusted yet. Is there a lumbar adjustment?

I put a deposit to hold it until I complete the sale of my current unit.
No lumbar adjustment.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we have if you follow through with the purchase.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:36 PM   #37

THOR #1067
Quote:
Ours doesn't have a lumbar adjustment: just recline and forward/backward slide position. We find the seats very comfortable.

My only issue with it, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, is that with the slide in there isn't enough room to move the seat back and recline it appreciably.
Here's a question for you which i have asked the Thor dealership in Elkhart also: Ford says on their website the E-350 stripped chassis which is used on the Axis is "LNG, CNG ready" meaning it's selected modification companys can make the thing burn nat gas if you wanna spend the $8000. Essentially, you double your MPG or half your cost which ever way you wish to view it. Have you asked your dealer about it, and what do you they say? Thanks again.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:23 PM   #38
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Here's a question for you which i have asked the Thor dealership in Elkhart also: Ford says on their website the E-350 stripped chassis which is used on the Axis is "LNG, CNG ready" meaning it's selected modification companys can make the thing burn nat gas if you wanna spend the $8000. Essentially, you double your MPG or half your cost which ever way you wish to view it. Have you asked your dealer about it, and what do you they say? Thanks again.
Would it be worth it though? $8000 pays for a lot of gas. There would be an advantage if you went with propane since the refer & stove also use propane--you could remove the propane tank and use that space for additional storage (however would the new propane tank take more volume than the 55 gallon gas tank?).

Personally I don't think it would be worth it, but then on my blog I've speculated on what it would take to make an electric RV.
What would it take?? | Some spare electrons from driving a Focus Electric
Old 09-30-2014, 08:52 PM   #39

THOR #1067
Quote:
Would it be worth it though? $8000 pays for a lot of gas. There would be an advantage if you went with propane since the refer & stove also use propane--you could remove the propane tank and use that space for additional storage (however would the new propane tank take more volume than the 55 gallon gas tank?).

Personally I don't think it would be worth it, but then on my blog I've speculated on what it would take to make an electric RV.
LNG and CNG filling stations are going up all over the country at a rapid clip. The southern states have the most. For ever 10,000 you drive you will save $1750 if the price of LNG is $1.75 per gallon. If seen it in Clinton Ok for $1.55. If you drive 10,000 at 10 mpg you will use 1,000 gallons of LNG. That's 1750. Gas is twice that much so you'll save $1750 per year. At $8000 you get it back in 4.5 years. If you drive 20,000 miles you get it back in 2 plus years ect. ect. ect. How many miles we gunna drive? Of course, you might not be able to find a LNG station yet everywhere you need to fill it. You will find them in heavier populated areas. I live in the middle of no where in Parachute, CO and we have 2. But that's because Encana is here and they have their own LNG stations as well. It's being adopted way more rapidly with trash trucks and city bus systems because they can fill up each night at the shop. You can install your own compressor in the garage and fill up there too. It's expensive. When the over the road crowd has a station every 40 miles on the interstate system in a few years, you can ditch gas completely. Now you see why Ford has a LNG/CNG ready chassis for most everything bigger than half ton. But to take advantage of the readiness, you must have the rest installed at the dealer level post delivery by Ford blessed modifiers to hold the warranty. It's around that $8,000. might be $5,000 soon when everyone's doing it and the price drops.

There's the plan bud.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:19 PM   #40

THOR #1067
Quote:

If you were buying a used Thor Axis which get's twice the MPG than a another used Axis, would you pay more for the former? Besides, i just get a warm and fuzzy feeling when my V 10 Triton is pulling through the Rocky Mountains getting 20 MPG. Like the U Pilot said as he sat in his Blackbird: Lo though i am moving through the valley of the shadow of death, I am leaving 50,000 ft at Mach 4.