Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2014, 04:41 PM   #61
rhp

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.1
State: Florida
THOR #1401

New owner of AXIS 25.1, on first outing had problem with hot water- Pump On, LP on, Pilot on, 110V on- Turn faucet & get cold for a few seconds, then hot hot for maybe 10 seconds then back to cold. Any suggestions ????

Old 12-30-2014, 07:32 PM   #62
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Wow! A 25.1. Haven't seen one of those around here.

Find the bypass valves by the water heater, perhaps the crossover valve is open and letting cold water directly into the hot water line.

Other than that how do you like your 25.1?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:22 PM   #63
rhp

Model: Axis 25.1
THOR #1401
hot Water

After first use I think it will be just fine for the wife & I. Other than an extra ft in length the only difference is in the floor plan - rear is L shaped sofa/bed with square table versus twin beds. Even better it was " used" after 90 days & 1200 miles the first buyer upgraded to a 30 ft ACE
Old 01-02-2015, 03:16 PM   #64

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I hear ya Teeitup26. We aren't your typical campers either. We view camping as "bringing a piece of home with us when we go sightseeing". We typically use private campgrounds with full hook-ups instead of the more rustic state parks. We are also kind of newbies: This is our first motorhome after over a decade with a 5th wheel and trailers before that.

Thanks FW28z.
I have a question for you: do you need to pull a toad or is the unit small enough to run to places like a large SUV. You know, just use it like a car. I don't really want to pull another car. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:59 PM   #65
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Haven't pulled a car with it yet. On one trip that we knew we'd be sightseeing we rented a car. It's small enough to drive around like a van but big enough that it's tough to find parking in city centers if that makes sense.
When at Walmart/Target/Meijer/etc. it easily covers two parking spaces lengthwise.
(I have some pictures that would illustrate this but, ironically we are on the road in the Axis and won't be able to post them until tomorrow.)
Old 01-02-2015, 04:06 PM   #66

THOR #1067
Quote:
Haven't pulled a car with it yet. On one trip that we knew we'd be sightseeing we rented a car. It's small enough to drive around like a van but big enough that it's tough to find parking in city centers if that makes sense.
When at Walmart/Target/Meijer/etc. it easily covers two parking spaces lengthwise.
(I have some pictures that would illustrate this but, ironically we are on the road in the Axis and won't be able to post them until tomorrow.)
I would appreciate seeing your pictures when you can manage it. I have a friend who pulls a fifth wheel and i asked him if i needed a toad, and his reply, sure if you plan to get to restaurants or park and go shopping somewhere in a city. Can't you stop in parking lots other than Walmarts and find a spot to park, or find a spot to park in a larger towns. Sounds like you're getting along without a toad pretty well. thanks.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:23 PM   #67

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Dave,
Jamie is right about it being a bit large to drive and park around town like a van plus the time and extra effort it would take to break camp if you are all connected up, slide out, etc. I've done the same as he has mentioned about renting a car to drive around and sightsee while camping for the convenience of doing so. I'm undecided about whether I will ever pull a car with mine. I'm enclosing a picture that was taken while "camping" at a Wal-Mart the first night after picking it up. You might have to zoom in to see the space it takes (2 parking spaces).

Old 01-02-2015, 09:00 PM   #68

Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
I usually get away to "get away" and don't take a car. If we stay for a while and want to see things or go out to eat we usually rent a car. Enterprise will bring it to you and you have unlimited mileage for about $20.00 a day. We may do that a couple of days during a longer trip.

Renting is much cheaper than paying for a car and insurance. I also don't want the hassle of pulling another unit. When traveling, a mall or large parking lot usually has two spaces available. We even did this when I had a Class B unit.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:26 PM   #69

THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa9zz View Post
I usually get away to "get away" and don't take a car. If we stay for a while and want to see things or go out to eat we usually rent a car. Enterprise will bring it to you and you have unlimited mileage for about $20.00 a day. We may do that a couple of days during a longer trip.

Renting is much cheaper than paying for a car and insurance. I also don't want the hassle of pulling another unit. When traveling, a mall or large parking lot usually has two spaces available. We even did this when I had a Class B unit.
i appreciate the information. Did you find your Class B confining compared to the Axis or where there other reasons you bought the Axis. i looked at Roadtrek seriously for many months and even made offers a couple times unsuccessfully. The people who own them sure think they have a deal there, but i found them way way to small inside to think about extending living, say for 3 or 4 months. Like a bathroom on wheels. Does the slide in the Axis make a big difference? Thor markets the Axis to people who want extra large SUVs so they should handle like one. lol I just want some big enough to actually be comfortable sitting around in, but small enough to move around easily.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:22 PM   #70

THOR #1067
Quote:

I've been lurking in various RV blogs for a couple of years just studying the situation and trying to figure out which RV i wanted, and for what i would enjoy doing with an $70,000 toy that's depreciating like mad every day. But what i can't figure out is why in heck these manufacturers of RV don't build these things totally able to dry camp anywhere you want for weeks or months at a time right out of the blocks. They would sell like hot cakes. Inverters standard, solar standard, all sorts of things people spend tons of money adding on after purchase. Just sell me an RV with all that stuff already there, and ready to put the damn RV anyplace you want without worrying about shore power, electricity ect...ect. ect.. Roadtrek is trying it with their new one. Anyone have an opinion why this isn't already standard stuff. Probably money huh? Money isn't any problem. If you have 10% to put on a 20 year loan and you're able to make the payment and you're 60, who cares if the loan is paid off, and who cares what the unit is worth in 10 years. I'll probably be in a easy chair with a sip cup anyway. yeech.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:59 PM   #71

THOR #1075
I believe you are correct, it would be very expensive. I think the 2015 Airstream Interstate 3500 extended is built with the things you suggest. I think it is priced at about 150K for a Class B, but is self sustained, solar and all. Tanks are small so you should have to drink from a stream and whatever other body functions are needed. I had an Interstate 3500 for a couple of years but like the size of the Axis much better.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:05 PM   #72
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Ok, picture time:
Here it is parked in an outlet mall's lot:

You can see above how it takes up about 1.5 spaces or so.

Now for a few with the Axis parallel parked along Route 66:

And parallel parked at the Nashville Parthenon:

Parallel parking it is pretty easy--if there are no other cars around

It will also fit into any gas station you can find (I was even able to turn it around between the pumps at one station). The thing to get used to is you have to pull it way forward because the filler is just behind the rear wheels. In some cases you may block a little traffic if the station is small (I'll typically pull through and use the 2nd pump so that I'm not blocking both pumps).
Old 01-03-2015, 04:01 PM   #73

THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhp View Post
New owner of AXIS 25.1, on first outing had problem with hot water- Pump On, LP on, Pilot on, 110V on- Turn faucet & get cold for a few seconds, then hot hot for maybe 10 seconds then back to cold. Any suggestions ????
Overall, what do you think of the build quality? I ask because of several comments from folks on this blog talking about how bad the quality control is at Thor. I know people get lemons, but i'm wondering how it looks to you especially if you've had previous RVs from other mfg, and want to comment on how Thor compares. Other comments have been made about how the unit wonders around on the road with play in the steering. It's hard to believe this is common as it sounds a little dangerous if true. Can't believe Ford would let it happen commonly. Might be alignment or tire pressure rather.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:27 PM   #74

THOR #1075
I think you will find that most quality issues are with Thor units other than the Axis. Every unit will have an issue of some type and a few Axis' have some also. But, it seems the Axis has a better quality build other Thor products. I think someone said they were built in their own production plant and this seems to make a difference. The Class C's and the Axis seem to have fewer issues than other units, at least going on reports here.

I think you are correct in suggesting the wandering of th front end may be in tire pressure and alignment, at least to some extent.

Has any Axis/Vegas owner installed a Safe T or other steering correction after market product item to their unit?

Phil
Old 01-16-2015, 03:54 AM   #75

State: Tennessee
THOR #1434
What are the two types of radios Thor used in the Axis 24.1? I don't believe I have a Jensen. I'm wondering if I can use a Sirrusxm adapter.

Thanks for all your assistance for this newby.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:00 PM   #76

State: Georgia
THOR #1123
The 2015 Axis has the Axxera AV614BH. Has Bluetooth capability but don't know if a Sirrus XM adapter would work.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:20 PM   #77
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
For both radios a cheaper option may be to simply use the Sirius app on your smartphone (you don't have to pay for another full subscription--assuming you already have a subscription for another car or plug-and-play radio you can add internet streaming for just a few $). On the Jensen unit you can plug the phone into it (using the Apple cable for iPhones, and the aux in for Android phones). Since the Axxera can bluetooth its much easier: just pair the phone with the radio.
Granted using the app will only work for interstate driving where there are plenty of cell towers nearby; not so good if you are boondocking somewhere and have no signal (or travelling internationally (Canada/US/Mexico) and can't roam).
Old 01-16-2015, 04:36 PM   #78

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
I do have a small nitpick with the driver seating though: With the slide behind the drivers seat it is difficult to get a comfortable position for anyone my height or taller (5'10"). Moving the seat back for your legs means you have to have it more upright since it can't recline against the slide (thus hurting your back). So you have to slide it forward to get the proper recline angle but then your legs are cramped.. I'm sure the more I drive it around I'll figure out the optimal position.
I have the same issue in my class C, although not from the slide as much as from the chassis cutaway transition....and I'm 5-10
Old 01-26-2015, 11:54 PM   #79
pkh

State: Washington
THOR #1483
Quote:
Has any Axis/Vegas owner installed a Safe T or other steering correction after market product item to their unit?
We just ordered one. I found the steering to be manageable but a bit loose. Its not unlike other E350 rigs I have driven.

The advantages of the Safe-T system seem worth the price so we are going to give it a try.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:12 PM   #80

State: Tennessee
THOR #1434
I visited the Camping World where I bought my new 2015 Axis 24.1 the other day to visit with their tech guy to get some questions answered. He told me that while the coach was running down the highway the refrigerator was running off the cabin batteries. Does that sound correct? Looking at the instrument panel on the fridge, it looks like it is running off LP. Which is a no-no while you are running down the highway. Can anyone confirm or deny this?