Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-04-2015, 10:33 PM   #81

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #1478
The refrigerator is a two-way gas/electric(No 12V). Unless you have installed an inverter, the refrigerator will only run on LP or the generator.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:12 PM   #82
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomspen
Looking at the instrument panel on the fridge, it looks like it is running off LP. Which is a no-no while you are running down the highway. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Running with the refer on LP down the highway is the subject of contentious debate in just about any RV forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timp410
The refrigerator is a two-way gas/electric(No 12V). Unless you have installed an inverter, the refrigerator will only run on LP or the generator.
When we visited Cummins for our generator repair (bad fuel pump) they instructed us to "always run the generator" (e.g. put some hours on it). Their basic gist was: "If the main engine is running you should also have the generator running". Apparently they see a lot of RVs with gummed up genny's because people don't run them.
Granted not really answering any refer questions though LOL.
Its hard not to run the refer off of LP because that seems to be its fallback: If no 120V is present it will attempt to run off of LP. To not run it on LP you'd have to have the LP turned off at the tank.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:28 PM   #83
pkh

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #1483
Our dealer said running generator at least 1 hour a month was way to keep it in shape. I don't know about running it all the time while driving, but that's definitely when its least intrusive.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:41 AM   #84

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
The say not to just run it but to place in under load. I run the geni for about 1 hour while driving down the road with the roof AC unit on in the summer. Helps save gas and exercises the geni.
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:15 PM   #85

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Why is it a no no to drive while using lp. Millions do it.
The only potential issue might be in some tunnels
Old 02-05-2015, 05:04 PM   #86
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2
The only potential issue might be in some tunnels
A few years ago we were driving over the Chesapeake Bay bridges/tunnels. There was a pull off just before the first bridge that the police were waving all the RV'ers over to check that their propane was turned off before continuing.
Quote:
B. Flames used for heating vehicles or loads shall be extinguished before the vehicle enters the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel or its approaches.
From here:
Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel -- Hazardous materials
Old 02-16-2015, 02:43 AM   #87

State: North Carolina
THOR #1526
Axis 24.1 Owner Notes

We've put about 5,500 miles on our Axis since a June purchase. After reading several posts here would like to offer a couple of comments:

First - take notice of the sticker next to the driver - CHECK WHEEL ALIGNMENT after loading the unit - I had sloppy steering and a right hand pull - performed alignment and problem solved.

Second - I've traveled a lot of tunnels around Maryland - turn off LP when notices are posted - otherwise, I always run with the refer in LP/Auto mode with no problems and this is my 3rd motorhome.

Overall, we've been very happy with our unit - we pull a Smart Car on a trailer to give us maximum mobility as we travel. Hardly know its there and still get about 9.75 MPG.

Running the gen set some in the summer with the roof unit running is a good idea but there is no reason to run it at all times when driving - an hour or two a month under load should be sufficent -has been for me all these years - no failures yet...
Old 03-07-2015, 01:25 AM   #88

THOR #1081
Battery issues

I just went to our storage lot to fire up our Axis and the engine battery is dead. It had only been 3 weeks since my last visit and startup. I recharged using the gen set and took it for a 40 min run on the freeway but at the end of the run the battery is still dead as a door nail.
Have any other owners had this issue? It seems something has drained the battery fully and I think it should have recharged, at least some, in the 40 min drive.
Thoughts?
Old 03-07-2015, 01:50 AM   #89
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
That is a common issue with the Vegas/Axis units. I installed a knife disconnect switch on my chassis battery--it's been good ever since.
This guy:
AutoCraft Top-Mount Battery Terminal Quick Disconnect Switch 20138: Advance Auto Parts
Old 03-07-2015, 05:35 PM   #90

THOR #1081
JG: Thank you, I have ordered one from your link. How long a run on the freeway should it take to recharge the battery?
Old 03-07-2015, 06:52 PM   #91

State: Tennessee
THOR #1434
Larry: where can I find the instructions on how to hook up Sat TV to BR and outside TV with splitter?

Thanks

Tom
Old 03-07-2015, 07:29 PM   #92
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by belfastboy
JG: Thank you, I have ordered one from your link. How long a run on the freeway should it take to recharge the battery?
When my chassis battery was low (it didn't really go completely dead) all it took was a good 30-40 minute drive and it was charged enough to be able to restart the engine. I doubt it was fully charged at the time though (it had since drove 2400 miles..its good and charged now! LOL).
Old 03-09-2015, 03:28 PM   #93

State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomspen View Post
Larry: where can I find the instructions on how to hook up Sat TV to BR and outside TV with splitter?

Thanks

Tom
Tomspen: Sorry it took me this long to reply. We were in N. GA. mountains from Friday till yesterday enjoying our Axis w/no Wifi or cell phone service unless we walked about a quarter mile down the mountain to a lake and stood on one foot (LOL...kidding about the foot part). anyway, this is how I have mine connected for satellite and over the air reception which works for me. Warning though; you don't get campground cable with this config. Will need to install an A/B box and additional splitter for that. Wired like HappilyRetired has his.

The 3 TVs are coax connected in the upper cabinet beside the m/w and behind the antenna booster cover plate (small button switch and when pressed the green light comes on for the antenna booster) in top right corner. Mine had a HDMI cable lying loose in the cabinet and found out it is connected to the main TV over the door and I'll mention this later. So, to connect all TVs together for a sat. receiver with HDMI and component output only, I purchased a RF modulator from Radio Shack (about $25.) which will convert component (red, white, yellow) to coax output. I then removed the cover plate mentioned above (2 screws), disconnected the cable input from the outside (white cable) at the various wire connectors, routed the white cable thru the hole where the power cord for the m/w is and connected it to the satellite receiver coax input. I then connected the component red, white, yellow from the sat. receiver to the Radio Shack RF modulator (ignore the coax input jack...not used in this config.) and using a short piece of coax cable I then connected from the RF modulator back thru the hole in the cabinet to where I had previously disconnected the coax. I then put the cover plate back on. The RF modulator must be connected to the 110v outlet to operate. I used the HDMI that was in the cabinet to connect to the satellite receiver also giving me HDMI quality on the main TV. In this configuration, the outside TV and bedroom TV are standard definition since the component cables are used but the main TV is high definition. Also, the outside antenna booster must be turned off (green light off) for satellite reception.

This does limit you in such a way that all 3 TVs are programmed to whatever channel your satellite receiver is tuned to but I can live with that. Also, since the rf modulator and sat. receiver are in the cabinet, I leave the cabinet door opened slightly so heat doesn't build up too much and the remote won't work thru closed cabinet doors anyway.

Hope this helps get you connected. It sounds like a lot but doesn't take too long to connect it all up. Just a little limited with space and short wiring.

Any questions and I'll be glad to try and answer..
Old 03-09-2015, 04:30 PM   #94

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbmaster View Post
Running the gen set some in the summer with the roof unit running is a good idea ......
Yeah, especially when driving through Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and Louisiana at 100F+ degrees and 100% humidity!

I'm on my forth RV with Onan generators. I will "exercise" the generator once a month under load during the winter, (if it hasn't been used otherwise). Besides that, I'll only use it on the road so that the roof A/C units can supplement the chassis A/C if and when the weather requires it.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:42 PM   #95

THOR #1123
Beacher: How long do you run it when "exercising" it? 2 hrs. as recommended seems like a long time.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:39 PM   #96

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
A minimum of 30 minutes. I have never had a problem with fuel gumming four Onan generators during the past eleven years.

Realistically, being that I live in Southern California, it gets hot in the middle of January inside of any RV as long as the sun is out. It can easily be 50F degrees outside, and 80F degrees inside late in the afternoon.

If I'm putting around the RV on maintenance day, I'll just run it until it's cool, perhaps a little more than 30 minutes.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:19 PM   #97

THOR #1123
Thanks. I've been running mine under load about 2 hrs. continuous each month and could probably cut back some. if you haven't had any problems with those 4 of yours, that time frame seems to be a pretty good rule of thumb. Enjoy that CA weather. We're starting to see some nice Spring like weather here in central GA now.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:36 PM   #98

THOR #1081
I took my Axis in for dewinterization and an oil change today. The draining battery issue was brought up but I did not get very far. They acknowledged that the radio can be a drain on the battery and it needs to be turned off prior to shutting the engine down but it is NOT a warranty issue. When I asked what was a good fix they more or less shrugged. When I mentioned the battery disconnect they did acknowledge that it was a logical choice and offered to install one for $40 parts and $130 labour. I declined and said I would install one myself. The service advisor then stated that if I were to do that any problems downstream would be on me as the self installation voids warranty. JamieGeek, from the link you sent to me it looks pretty damn easy to install. Am I on the right track or is it something that needs be done by a tech?
Thanks, bob
Old 03-10-2015, 11:30 AM   #99
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
LOL! Yes it is really easy to install. If self installation voids the warranty then I'm WAAAY out of warranty with all the stuff I've done to my Axis! (Besides the bumper to bumper warranty is only one year anyway.)
I've been considering putting one on the coach battery as well since it seems to be having more issues now.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:41 PM   #100

THOR #1081
Jamie. thanks!