Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2015, 03:47 AM   #101

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #1526
Thor Axis 24.1 Slide Out Issue

I posted a comment over on IRV2 about the problem I had with the slide-out during a trip to Pigeon Forge, TN over the Thanksgiving holiday. The Lippert Schwintek motor on one side of the slide (there are 2 motors) came loose in the housing and twisted until the wires broke off the control board of the motor and of course, that disabled the motor. This happened with the slide about half out. there are great overrides that will solve some slide out problems but a broken motor is a broken motor and the work arounds aren't available. Only good old grunt and push will get the slide in place to travel. Fortunately, Ricky's RV Repair came out and we were able to work the slide in to make travel safe. The price was $162.00 for the assist. GOOD NEWS! Camping World of Raleigh, NC where I bought the unit took care of repairs quickly on my return home and just this week, THOR came through with a reimbursement for the $162.00 emergency service call. Things happen, I think the measure of quality comes through in how people manage the aftermath of the adversity. I give top grades to Ricky's RV Repair of Sevierville, TN; Camping World of Raleigh, NC - especially Cliff Sanders; and last but not least THOR Motor Coach for standing behind their products.

The weather is getting nicer and we can't wait to get the Axis 24.1 out on the road for the 2015 travel season.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:31 AM   #102

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Glad to hear everything worked out. Q
We are planning a trip to Pigeon Forge Tenn this summer, where did you stay there?
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:39 PM   #103

State: Washington
THOR #1081
We have dewinterized our Axis and have booked 4 nights at BayView State Park in Washington state. This will be our shakedown cruise and an anniversary getaway ()our 39th) prior to a month away in late April. Heading to Death Valley and maybe over to Sedona, all for the first time. It has been a long 5 months and are chomping to get back on the road.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:51 PM   #104

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Arizona
THOR #1124
Quote:
Originally Posted by belfastboy View Post
Heading to Death Valley and maybe over to Sedona, all for the first time. It has been a long 5 months and are chomping to get back on the road.
If you have the time, don't pass up Sedona. It's beautiful. I think you would regret it if you passed it by.

Don
Old 03-11-2015, 01:55 PM   #105
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Sadly I think it will be April before we dewinterize. Overnight temps are still below freezing here...It is getting temptingly close though LOL.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:06 PM   #106
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
THOR #531
Our strategy is to wait-see when it is warm enough to go camping. Even if we have 60~70 deg temps, if the ground is wet, I don't want to go camping in the mud.

We can get freezing temps overnight until around mid-May. So If we go camping prior to that, I simply do a "quick" winterization by blowing the lines after each trip. Takes 5 minutes to blow the lines with an air compressor.

While the PEX tubing is pretty hardy (supposed to expand 1.5x times before bursting), the fittings might not be, and no sense tempting fate, especially when it is so easy and quick to blow the lines after each trip.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:29 PM   #107
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Well last year we did make it out in early April. It was a bit colder last year:
The maiden voyage… | Some spare electrons from driving a Focus Electric
Even in early April it was still colder than...!!! and there was no one in the campground with us!
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:13 PM   #108

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
We have a trip to Texas and back through New Orleans in mid April.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:52 PM   #109

THOR #1075
Just got back from a trip to get a couple of things taken care of before spring and the shop advised that all, every marker light on my Axis 24.1 have stress cracks and have water inside them. Anyone else with this issue?
Old 03-12-2015, 10:59 PM   #110

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa9zz View Post
... every marker light on my Axis 24.1 have stress cracks and have water inside them. Anyone else with this issue?

Did someone take a high-temperature pressure washer to it? That will easily cause stress cracks to the plastic, and allow water to infiltrate.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:03 PM   #111

THOR #1075
Nope. Washed it by hand with a garden hose last fall. That's the only time it has been washed. I purchased it in September, took a trip to the coast, brought it back and put it up for the winter.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:47 PM   #112

THOR #1081
Excuse my ignorance....but what are we referring to...."marker lights"?
Old 03-13-2015, 12:34 AM   #113

THOR #1075
If you look at the picture of Jamie's coach in the first post in this thread, there is a small yellow light in front of the front tire, one in the middle of the coach at the basement door and a red one at the rear of the coach. There are more lights on the other side. These small lights mark positions of the coach, some high some low. Without going outside and looking, I believe these are all marker lights and not just reflectors. I'd have to look to make sure and it's starting to rain. This will give you an idea though.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:41 AM   #114

THOR #1081
I will check mine on Monday when I travel next down to the storage yard.
Thx, bob
Old 03-13-2015, 02:15 AM   #115
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
THOR #531
I believe self-powered behemoths like motorhomes are required by regulation to have marker lights, not just reflectors.

Most likely the stress cracks are a combination of an inferior marker light, combined with an installer armed with a powerful clutchless pneumatic drill with screwdriver bit. Zoom, zoom...

Those lights are less than $5 MSRP, so factories probably buy them for a couple of bucks each. Have to be rather cheaply made for that price.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:59 AM   #116

Model: Axis 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #1526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursx2 View Post
Glad to hear everything worked out. Q
We are planning a trip to Pigeon Forge Tenn this summer, where did you stay there?
My preferred location is River Plantation RV Park. It's an easy in/easy out location on the left just as you come in to town off of I-40. Sites are large and level and some shade. Located on the Little Pigeon River. Sites are very clean and level.

Where ever you stay, I hope you have a great time - be sure to take a drive through Cades Cove - great history and scenery.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:58 PM   #117

State: Alabama
THOR #2262
People debating which 24 or 25 to buy wanting a full time bed will be happier with the 24.1 because the rear have twin beds made up all the time. We just got back from 4780 mile trip from Florida to eastern Canada in our 24.1 and had no issues at all. This trip was over the worst roads I have ever experienced in my 37 years in Florida traveling to eastern Canada. The traffic was severe almost all the trip. The Vegas took it all in stride having nothing shaken out of position! The question of living in it full time would be difficult I think because it gets really small very quickly! We lasted one month and could have lasted more time if slider out most of the time. We had more than enough storage for the month on the road. The Vegas performed flawlessly and the V-10 engine was responsible! We had good range for fuel looking for gas when needle hit 1/2 and took 25 to 35 gal, never letting it get really low because of the generator using fuel and worrying about traffic that may stop and back up. That happened at least 6 times with cars burning to 18 wheelers off the road. Idling and low rpm driving uses fuel and we never wanted to run out of gas! Buying this motor home was a great decision. We wanted to down size from a 45 ft diesel pusher. It actually had more issues when new than the Vegas! All the shaking we suffered on the roads did not cause any issues with the Vegas. It tolerated everything and we had a wonderful trip in it. The shower is small but you develop a way to do it easily. My DW even used the front sink to wash her hair. We opened slider almost every night but did not use the campgrounds for use except occasionally using Wallmart and truck stops to sleep. We never had a worry about any night we had in this camper. MPG was always less than 10 but between 8 to 9.5 depending on roads and type of terrain. AC affected MPG some also. Each fuel stop had different MPG but never under 7 and never over 10! I would buy another in a minute!
Old 08-05-2015, 12:08 AM   #118

State: Colorado
THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbrace View Post
People debating which 24 or 25 to buy wanting a full time bed will be happier with the 24.1 because the rear have twin beds made up all the time. We just got back from 4780 mile trip from Florida to eastern Canada in our 24.1 and had no issues at all. This trip was over the worst roads I have ever experienced in my 37 years in Florida traveling to eastern Canada. The traffic was severe almost all the trip. The Vegas took it all in stride having nothing shaken out of position! The question of living in it full time would be difficult I think because it gets really small very quickly! We lasted one month and could have lasted more time if slider out most of the time. We had more than enough storage for the month on the road. The Vegas performed flawlessly and the V-10 engine was responsible! We had good range for fuel looking for gas when needle hit 1/2 and took 25 to 35 gal, never letting it get really low because of the generator using fuel and worrying about traffic that may stop and back up. That happened at least 6 times with cars burning to 18 wheelers off the road. Idling and low rpm driving uses fuel and we never wanted to run out of gas! Buying this motor home was a great decision. We wanted to down size from a 45 ft diesel pusher. It actually had more issues when new than the Vegas! All the shaking we suffered on the roads did not cause any issues with the Vegas. It tolerated everything and we had a wonderful trip in it. The shower is small but you develop a way to do it easily. My DW even used the front sink to wash her hair. We opened slider almost every night but did not use the campgrounds for use except occasionally using Wallmart and truck stops to sleep. We never had a worry about any night we had in this camper. MPG was always less than 10 but between 8 to 9.5 depending on roads and type of terrain. AC affected MPG some also. Each fuel stop had different MPG but never under 7 and never over 10! I would buy another in a minute!
i really appreciate the long answer and all the information. i've never had an RV but i'd like to get out in the winter and travel. See the country. Trouble is i''ve been having a problem pulling the trigger on $70,000 and all that. Never bought anything except real estate in that high number. Having issues using the life savings to buy something that goes down 20% the first hour off the dealer pad. lol. but you've helped a bunch. Think i'm calling Total Value and pulling the trigger tomorrow. Almost had it bought last month, but the finance department slipped in a micky on me and i had to think it over for a month. Now, i'm getting used to 5.25% 20 year. thanks for the help
Old 08-05-2015, 01:52 AM   #119

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
I appreciate the point of view of Humbrace, and share his delight with his Vegas. I must respectfully point out, different strokes for different folks. We also traded our larger Class A, and love our 25.2. We like the larger shower, but would have passed on anything without a walk around queen bed. The folding mattress was never a problem. Ours wouldn't work quite as well as other models for soccer meets or tailgating.
To Teeitup26: Suggest you get some professional advice before spending what you said was your life savings on a depreciating asset. With a 20 year note, you'll be upside down before long, maybe even on delivery! If it's not too late, take a look at a used Class C. You are likely to find a serviceable Class C under $15K! If you aren't at least a bit handy, or willing to learn, or can't finance an older used unit, forget that and consider renting. Remember, RV dealers and sales people want you to buy all you can finance, to maximize their profits. Be smart on this!
Old 08-07-2015, 07:58 PM   #120

State: Colorado
THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
I appreciate the point of view of Humbrace, and share his delight with his Vegas. I must respectfully point out, different strokes for different folks. We also traded our larger Class A, and love our 25.2. We like the larger shower, but would have passed on anything without a walk around queen bed. The folding mattress was never a problem. Ours wouldn't work quite as well as other models for soccer meets or tailgating.
To Teeitup26: Suggest you get some professional advice before spending what you said was your life savings on a depreciating asset. With a 20 year note, you'll be upside down before long, maybe even on delivery! If it's not too late, take a look at a used Class C. You are likely to find a serviceable Class C under $15K! If you aren't at least a bit handy, or willing to learn, or can't finance an older used unit, forget that and consider renting. Remember, RV dealers and sales people want you to buy all you can finance, to maximize their profits. Be smart on this!
Mr. Sunshine, i appreciate your concern and i am getting professional advice: my own. I was a financial advisor for many years and understand totally what i'm looking at. I gave you the impression i was spending my "entire" life savings on a MH, but that's far from the case. In fact if i do buy the Axis it will be a small fraction of my net worth. Also, i plan to put down at least $40,000 in cash on the Axis and finance the other $29,000 with a 5.25% 20 year loan through the largesse of Bank of America, America's consumer bank. My accountant and I have talked it over and there are benefits in the tax code we shall take advantage of when the time comes. I might even sell the house and live in the thing full time if after spending a month or two in i find that it is comfortable enough. Then i plan to travel and find another home base somewhere in the West above 5,000 feet. I currently live in Western Colorado. Nice, but a little hot for me.

So, again, i appreciate the words of caution but i got it covered.