Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2015, 06:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24.1
State: British Columbia
THOR #1358
Thor Axis: New Owner Experience

The good:
-well designed
- powerful motor
- layout provides enough room for 2 people to eat, read, sleep, watch tv, together or in private.
- comoprtable seating and sleeping.

The bad:
- you would think that after driving this unit from Indiana to Victoria B.C., someone would notice the back up camera and the right side camera were not working and would have advised someone to do something about it.
- still having trouble with the cable connection
- Thor saved 5 cents by not putting hooks on the curtains so that you could join with the eyelet they did put in.
- The hot water heater drain is incredibly hard to access. It is a plastic cap in a metal tube. Ours was left off, which meant blowing the heater element. The cap stripped on 1st usage. Will try to replace with metal cap.
- Drawers are cheaply constructed. Pieces are already falling off.
- big windshield will get chips.
- the exhaust fan in the back stopped working on our first trip
- edging already coming off. Not sized properly?

The ugly:
- the Thor owners' manual. They've just sustituted the manual for other units. The pages in the index bear no relation to reality. Some topics are skipped. Little useful info on others. Fuse box guide unrelated to what is actually in unit.

I know this sounds negative. We are hoping to solve our problems when we return from our first extended trip. Overall, I would recommend the unit, but advise insisting on a lengthy and detailed walkthrough.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:39 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Congratulations on your new Axis.
Hopefully you'll get your issues fixed in a timely manner.

So far we have almost 5000 miles on our Axis and no chips on the windshield--knock on wood. I wonder how many class A motorhomes get windshield chips?

Have a few questions about your issues:
Which curtains? The two in the front on either side of the front window?
Our water heater drain is just a plastic plug on the outside of the heater. Its pretty easy to get to and remove.
Which edging? I've had some of the weatherstripping around the windows come a little loose but nothing serious.

Which Axis model did you get?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:18 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
Congratulations on your new purchase. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

I do agree the manual is of no value what-so-ever. Not only is it meant for all units and not the Axis at all, but I have yet to find information listed on the page as stated in the table of contents.

I suggest you use these forums and ask those who are using the units.

When dumping it is important to be told the dump outlet rotates by hand, making it easy to attach the hose. I learned that from reading the posts.

Groswold and JamieGeek have gone beyond and posted many mods for the Axis/Vegas mod thread.

Keep us posted as you find and learn new things about your unit.

Jamie and Groswold, maybe you guys could write a manual. I'll edit it and help get it printed. Maybe you two could make some money.

Phil
Old 01-04-2015, 10:03 PM   #4

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Thor are garbage!!!! I have had my 2015 Hurricane 34 J since October and every time I go out in it I find something else wrong! Had the same thing with the curtains BTW! The trim piece over the microwave was just pushed in and the screws were not attached at all! Poor workmanship by the factory workers in Indiana! Had two pieces of trim also fall off, one was hiding a 1 inch gap between the walls and the ceiling - unbelievable! Good luck! I will fix all these things myself as the horror stories about people having their brand new rigs in the shop for months waiting to get them fixed. Just received a new HDMI cable to replace the one from the box to the main TV - was jammed in so tight on a 90 degree angle that the internal wires were broken. Once again, poor quality workmanship. If only the Japanese would start making motorhomes!
Old 01-04-2015, 10:22 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Nursx2: Note that the Vegas/Axis models are built in a separate plant by themselves and, so far, have not shown as many quality issues as Thor's other models (especially the class A's).
Old 01-04-2015, 10:36 PM   #6

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
I did not know that! Thanks! I should have stuck with the Axis I was looking at first! Dam outside kitchen on the Hurricane!!!!!
Old 01-05-2015, 01:53 PM   #7

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Colorado
THOR #1327
Jamie, there seems to be a group of us that own or considering the Thor Axis. And you, Larry, and Randy were so helpful in my deciding and taking delivery last week of my new Axis 24.1 unit! Should we form a sub group on the Thor or IRV2 forum dedicated to all the Axis owners on these sites?
Old 01-05-2015, 03:52 PM   #8

THOR #1358
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Congratulations on your new Axis.
Hopefully you'll get your issues fixed in a timely manner.

So far we have almost 5000 miles on our Axis and no chips on the windshield--knock on wood. I wonder how many class A motorhomes get windshield chips?

Have a few questions about your issues:
Which curtains? The two in the front on either side of the front window?
Our water heater drain is just a plastic plug on the outside of the heater. Its pretty easy to get to and remove.
Which edging? I've had some of the weatherstripping around the windows come a little loose but nothing serious.

Which Axis model did you get?
Thanks for your reply. The curtains are the ones on the side. Mine do not attach at source when opened, They are missing a hook. Not a big deal, but will have to sew two on. Our plastic water heater plug is behind stuff, making it hard to turn with a wrench - especially when stripped! My cable connection has jiggled loose somewhere between the outside connection and the 2 TVs. The stripping is the vertical one on the right as you go towards the bathroom. On my windshield, I have one chip and there is what looks like a pressure crack. Maybe I just have a lemon, or maybe there are quality control problems. We are headed north now after a tour of the southwest and will see how our dealer handles our problems. Also must admit that owning one of these has a learning curve. Not replacing the water heater plug after the dealer had dewinterized for us was our fault.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:27 PM   #9

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
edvic,
Congrats on your Axis purchase. Maybe you will enjoy it more when these items you mention are taken care of to your satisfaction. It seems there are always some things that Thor should do a better job of as it relates to quality.
I've found that a universal (swivel) adapter with a short extension attached to my ratchet and socket allows rather easy access to removal of the water heater plug.
We have really enjoyed the use of our Axis and are always eager to go on that next trip.
Good luck to you.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:09 PM   #10

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
THOR #1147
Edvic,

The water heater is by Atwood. The obstructions, such as they are, come with the WH. There really isn't anything Thor can do about them.

The nylon plug should be pretty easy to install/remove as long as you have a 15/16ths socket and a 6" (or longer) extension for a standard socket-wrench driver. Do be sure the water heater is cold before doing anything, and release any pressure with the pressure relief valve (up and to the right) before you try to remove the plug.

In our Axis the driver and passenger side curtains are retained with cloth and Velcro "swags" that wrap around the curtains and stick to a bit of Velcro on the wall behind the windows. The fabric matches the curtains. They may be there, but would blend into the curtains if you don't know what you are looking for.

What exactly is the problem with cable? If it's not working at all the most likely cause is that the antenna booster is "ON". It has to be on to get over the air broadcasts from the crank-up antenna.

BUT, it must be "OFF" to use the cable connection. In our's the control box is in the cabinet above the sink, way at the back. I'm 5' 10", and I still have to use a stool to be able to see it and turn it on/off.

Welcome to the Axis community! Hopefully you'll like you unit as much as we all do once you get the kinks worked out! Motorhome ownership is not for the faint of heart. There is always something to fix, replace, or improve!

Regards,

Randy
Old 01-06-2015, 02:12 AM   #11

THOR #1358
Quote:
Originally Posted by groswald View Post
Edvic,

The water heater is by Atwood. The obstructions, such as they are, come with the WH. There really isn't anything Thor can do about them.

The nylon plug should be pretty easy to install/remove as long as you have a 15/16ths socket and a 6" (or longer) extension for a standard socket-wrench driver. Do be sure the water heater is cold before doing anything, and release any pressure with the pressure relief valve (up and to the right) before you try to remove the plug.

In our Axis the driver and passenger side curtains are retained with cloth and Velcro "swags" that wrap around the curtains and stick to a bit of Velcro on the wall behind the windows. The fabric matches the curtains. They may be there, but would blend into the curtains if you don't know what you are looking for.

What exactly is the problem with cable? If it's not working at all the most likely cause is that the antenna booster is "ON". It has to be on to get over the air broadcasts from the crank-up antenna.

BUT, it must be "OFF" to use the cable connection. In our's the control box is in the cabinet above the sink, way at the back. I'm 5' 10", and I still have to use a stool to be able to see it and turn it on/off.

Welcome to the Axis community! Hopefully you'll like you unit as much as we all do once you get the kinks worked out! Motorhome ownership is not for the faint of heart. There is always something to fix, replace, or improve!

Regards,

Randy
Thanks, Randy. I will certainly use the socket wrench in the future. Once I get a new plug, all should be copasetic.

It's not the velcro on the curtains. When you open them, there is no hook on the curtain side to attach to the base eye hook.

The cable switch is on. The problem is that the reception is horrible. It's not the cable as we have tried two. It's not the TVs as both are the same. It's not the source as other RVS get great reception and the problem is the same at every campsite. So it's some internal connection. It worked fine the first time we used it, then stopped.

BTW, the wiper controls on the steering wheel do not work. There is an additional set of controls on the left side dash which do. has anyone else experienced this problem?
Old 01-06-2015, 02:15 AM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
I've only ever used the wiper controls on the dash. There are only cruise control buttons on the steering wheel on ours? (Are there controls on the steering column--I haven't looked?)
Old 01-06-2015, 02:35 AM   #13

THOR #1358
Left hand knob. Not sure why it's there. But it is.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:09 PM   #14

THOR #1147
Edvic,

Thor buys a "stripped" E350 chassis and builds the coach on top of it. The wiper/washer switch on the stalk is Ford's, but the stripped chassis doesn't have a windshield, wipers, or washers so it isn't hooked up to anything.

Thor adds their own windshield and accessories including a separate switch. Why they don't just use the stock switch I don't know, but they don't. We all have the "dead" switch.

The TV behavior you describe is exactly what mine did when I left the antenna amp "ON" and tried to use the cable. It has to be "OFF".

I believe the cable itself runs from the fitting on the street-side wall, up to the vicinity of the antenna amp. Both the cable and amp inputs then go into a splitter that sends the output signal to each of your two (or three) TV's. The splitter might even be part of the amp. I haven't looked that close.

If it's a cable problem I would hope it's just loose at one end or the other. Finding a cut or break mid-run will be unpleasant!

Regards,

Randy
Old 01-06-2015, 04:31 PM   #15

THOR #1358
Thanks, Randy. I know where the cable on/off switch is. Where can I find the antenna amp?
Old 01-06-2015, 04:41 PM   #16

THOR #1358
The Latest

Honestly. I'm quite fed up with Thor. So far, We have picked up 9 loose screws laying about. We missed one and it got caught up under the couch. When we put out the slide it took a gouge out of the lino. Another thing to beware of if you are considering buying one of these very poorly quality controlled vehicles. And again - this rig was driven from Indiana to Victoria and no one bothered with these most fundamental faults?
Old 01-06-2015, 05:46 PM   #17

THOR #1147
Edvic,

There is no "cable on/off" switch, at least not as far as I'm aware. I imagine that what you have found is the antenna amp switch. On our Axis it is located in the small, top cabinet over the sink. It's way in the back and really hard to see/reach. It must be OFF for cable, ON for over-the air.

If you've only found 9 loose screws you are doing well. I've found a hundred or more as I explore all of the various nooks and crannies. I'm thinking of opening a hardware store...

Randy
Old 01-07-2015, 01:38 AM   #18

THOR #1358
haha
Old 01-07-2015, 02:06 AM   #19

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
I have yet to find any. Mine must have been made on a good day, not a Friday before a holiday. But then they may have fallen out of a hole in the bottom.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:39 AM   #20

THOR #1358
A rabbit hole. And Thor is wondering, "Who's screwing with us?"