Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2017, 09:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30 FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #6012
Thor Freedom Elite 30FE

Well, we have bitten the bullet and purchased a 2017 Thor Freedom Elite 30FE. Now the wife wants to replace the couch with theater seating. I am not sure if this is possible but will start checking the internet to see if Thor has one or if there is an after market brand. We pick up the unit on Thursday. more to come.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:45 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Congrats on the new coach and welcome to the Forum. There are multiple threads on here where owners have made the modification you desire.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:09 AM   #3

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogday51 View Post
Well, we have bitten the bullet and purchased a 2017 Thor Freedom Elite 30FE. Now the wife wants to replace the couch with theater seating. I am not sure if this is possible but will start checking the internet to see if Thor has one or if there is an after market brand. We pick up the unit on Thursday. more to come.
Congrats on the coach, my wife and I just purchased the same model and we do our walk through on Monday.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:20 AM   #4

THOR #6012
Elite Washing, since we have the same model, I would be most interested in a continued dialog to address issues such as modifications you may make, repairs due to equipment defects or failure, what you like or dislike out this new model (30FE), etc.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:40 AM   #5

THOR #6433
Yeah I am all for keeping in contact, I am excited to get our coach and put it to use. The wife and I really liked the floor plan of the Freedom Elite.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:41 AM   #6

THOR #6433
We just brought ours home today, did a run through driving it around town, I think we are going to love this coach! There are going to be things we want to change of course but it was just so much easier to drive then pulling our 28ft travel trailer. Just need the weather to warm up so we can take our first trip.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:18 PM   #7

THOR #6012
Freedom Elite 30FE

Congratulations on purchasing your Thor Motor Home. We have had ours for a week now but have not taken it camping yet. It is sitting in our drive way with the power cord hooked up to our house. Since we do not have a 30 amp from the house, we purchased a Camo 15 Amp male to 30 Amp female (standard) adapter. Model is 15-30-RV. It will work until we have a 30 amp circuit installed to the outside of the house. I have discovered several recommended modifications. Water from the roof flows down the side of the camper. Rain gutter spouts that I purchased will not fit. Got to come up with a better solution. The bed is too hard for me or the wife. We purchased a queen foam topper from Walmart, cut it to size to fit the (not really full queen) size mattress in the RV. Works like a charm. I have a cargo trailer with electric brakes that I tow my Honda Goldwing Trike with. I am having CW install a trailer brake controller (Primus IL) as I need it with anything that has electric brakes that I will tow. I might get hydraulic leveling jacks installed. We will wait and see how our camping experience goes with out them. Good luck and keep me informed of your progress.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:36 AM   #8

State: Nevada
THOR #6606
We just bought the 30FE a month ago and took it out to a local RV park to see if everything works. Just a couple issues (previously posted some of this write-up on another new member post)...

- The mattress was way too hard so we purchased an RV memory foam mattress on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

- GFCI trips on the house when the RV shore power cord is plugged in. Tried 3 different outlets, same result. Checked shore cord with my multimeter and found the ground and neutral directly shorted together. Took it back to CW and after a long heated discussion with the technician that checked it out, was told not to plug it into a GFCI outlet. He also said the short was a false indication. 36+ years shooting electrical issues on aircraft, I know he was full of it and didn't want to spend the time finding the problem. I checked the coach wiring/outlets and found they are all shorted at the ground and neutral as well. So there is a problem on the RV. I'll fix it myself.

- The bedroom pocket door keeps coming off the guide when we drive the RV. Adjusted it to a perfect alignment, but it still had the same issue. Made a fabric strap ~6-7” long and screwed it to the wall just forward of the door and put #24 snaps on the other end. Screwed the male snap ends to the edge of the door and fastened the strap. Works great.

That said, we really like the RV. Plenty of room and everything seems to work despite the electrical grounding issue.