Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2021, 02:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #25174
Thor hitch breaking

Hi! I am new to this site. I found a thread about the hitches installed on Thor coaches breaking. This happened to us, luckily we found it before our light tow car came completely off. We have been talking to Thor since August 2021 to no avail. They consistently deny there is a problem. Now I see here this has happened to many others.
Perhaps if we all got together we could make a bigger impact. Anybody interested?

Old 10-22-2021, 03:29 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
Hi! I am new to this site. I found a thread about the hitches installed on Thor coaches breaking. This happened to us, luckily we found it before our light tow car came completely off. We have been talking to Thor since August 2021 to no avail. They consistently deny there is a problem. Now I see here this has happened to many others.
Perhaps if we all got together we could make a bigger impact. Anybody interested?
The thread was specifically about Outlaw coaches towing 5,000 lb vehicles with a 6 inch or greater drop. Was that your problem?
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 04:03 PM   #3

THOR #25174
Thor hitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The thread was specifically about Outlaw coaches towing 5,000 lb vehicles with a 6 inch or greater drop. Was that your problem?
No, I was trying to alert other Thor owners about a problem with their hitches tearing loose.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:19 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20808
There is a couple of posts on the other board about hitches in general improperly installed, bolts come loose, etc.
This is something that needs inspected at least annually, better every time you perform your pre-trip inspection it needs to be included.
What unit do you have?
Old 10-22-2021, 06:14 PM   #5

THOR #25174
2016 Hurricane 35C
Old 10-22-2021, 09:27 PM   #6

Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
State: Alabama
THOR #6181
I had an older 2007 R-vision that the hitch had broken on. It was not a good feeling finding it like that once i pulled into a campspot and saw it by then hitting the ground. I was only pulling a cargo trailer w 1 motorcycle in it. Not anywhere near the weight limit of the hitch. That's all I had hauled w it. I bought used so not sure if PO had hauled anything or not. It is scary to think what could have happened it it had completely broke off whill on interstate. Thx, Dennis.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:38 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Pictures?

How light? What kind of tow car and what is was the tow setup?
Have you own the RV since Day 1?

What do you want / expect Thor to do? Is it something that a driver from Thor to Dealer could have hooked up an overweight vehicle? For Thor; 5 years may be a long time to suddenly be problem.

Without any of the above information, is it issue with the hitch being defective or do you just need a better or stronger weld to the frame.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 09:47 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
There have also been reports of hitches on Sprinters tearing loose...
Old 10-23-2021, 12:34 AM   #9

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
The fix is inexpensive and not worth chasing thor for months.
Any weld shop, any time, $300+- to have the whole coach looked over and fortified beyond any factory spec.

I doubt there's a vehicle type in the world, in all of history, which hasn't had reports of failed hitches.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 01:00 PM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I recall one post on this forum about a hitch issue and that was by BigBen on his Challenger about 5 years ago.

Interested the question someone asked the OP about if this was purchased new or used.

Another question is how many folks with hitch failures reported them to the NHTSA. My guess, none.
Old 10-27-2021, 07:47 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.5
THOR #14921
Mary - how about posting some pictures of your rig before and after this happened?
Thor is not in the business of manufacturing hitches - so I’m pretty confident that any failure of the hitch, itself, is the concern of the hitch manufacturer..
Pics really help...
Midlothian, TX / Gold Canyon, AZ
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:13 PM   #12

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Most of these hitches are installed by LCI during the frame/chassis prep, and done very well. What I've seen with the hitch issues posted are the use of drop hitches causing the problem. Hitches are rated at a pure lateral load with the assumed ball position 4 inches from the outer, receiver "ring" of the hitch itself. Extending the hitch beyond this reduces the capacity by 50% (etrailer and a few other hitch manufacturers). Further, dropping the hitch 6 or 10 inches creates a "fulcrum" or "twisting" effect, causing stress on start ups and when stopping. The standard for most applications is approximately 18" from the ground. Most of the hitches installed on these commercial chassis' (higher than a light truck setup) are much higher than 18", requiring some type of drop.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:27 PM   #13

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
We tow an Escalade ESV ( 6,000 pounds) zero issues. Roadmaster did install a drop so there is no angle from the hitch to the car attachment location.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:43 PM   #14
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Locks like someone was wanting to start some crap with Thor and looking for other folks to follow along. I doubt you’ll see anything else from the OP related to their hitch.
Old 10-27-2021, 10:01 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Locks like someone was wanting to start some crap with Thor and looking for other folks to follow along. I doubt you’ll see anything else from the OP related to their hitch.
You're probably right. The OP will read all these posts, like yours, belittling the complaint and absolving Thor of any responsibility and just move on. It seems like people on this forum come here for two reasons. One to ask a question hoping for a solution. The other is to blame the OP for being a dumb shit and making sure that Thor is not the cause of the OP's problem.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 10:07 PM   #16

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Alberta
THOR #22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
This seems to be the lady that posted straight after somebody else posted on the ws/hur Facebook page about their hitch breaking.

The person that posted pics of their sheared hitch and damaged toad were thankfully not injured.

The person that started this thread ( I think) was all over it faster than stink off a hippy, probably trying to illicit support to attack Thor over her issue.

It’s a pity there’s no sour grapes emoji.

2015 Thor Windsport 34F = empty pockets
2010 Kia Soul
REME veteran
Trophy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 10:27 PM   #17

Model: HURRICANE 35C
THOR #16807
Hitch Breaking

Quote:
2016 Hurricane 35C
I also have a 2016 Hurricane 35C and the hitch broke while traveling on I 87 in New York.
The welds broke where the hitch mounts to the frame, all at once, with no evidence of previous cracking.

I notified the NHTSA of the situation.

It is a serious defect that should be remedied.
Old 10-27-2021, 10:42 PM   #18

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I also have a 2016 Hurricane 35C and the hitch broke while traveling on I 87 in New York.
The welds broke where the hitch mounts to the frame, all at once, with no evidence of previous cracking.

I notified the NHTSA of the situation.

It is a serious defect that should be remedied.
Did you remedy it?
How?

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 01:52 AM   #19

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Most of these hitches are installed by LCI during the frame/chassis prep, and done very well. What I've seen with the hitch issues posted are the use of drop hitches causing the problem. Hitches are rated at a pure lateral load with the assumed ball position 4 inches from the outer, receiver "ring" of the hitch itself. Extending the hitch beyond this reduces the capacity by 50% (etrailer and a few other hitch manufacturers). Further, dropping the hitch 6 or 10 inches creates a "fulcrum" or "twisting" effect, causing stress on start ups and when stopping. The standard for most applications is approximately 18" from the ground. Most of the hitches installed on these commercial chassis' (higher than a light truck setup) are much higher than 18", requiring some type of drop.
Lippert is a parts supplier to the RV industry. Lippert is not certified to modify Ford chassis. It is MorRyde Internationalm who makes Airstream chassis and modifies Ford chassis for Thor Industries. In actuality Detroit Chassis assembles the F-53 and E-350 chassis for Ford. The F-X50 chassis and cabs are built by Ford in Ford's truck assembly plants.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:17 AM   #20

Model: HURRICANE 35C
THOR #16807
Broken Hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Did you remedy it?
How?
I haven't done anything yet, it happened a week ago.

I'm thinking of going with the Class IV hitch instead of the Class III. I don't need a 10,000 # hitch, but it has to be stronger than the Class III.

I also plan to put back-up chains from the hitch to the frame to keep it from getting away in case it would break off, and connect the break-away cable to the frame, instead of the hitch.

This may be overkill, but I never want to have the helpless feeling of seeing my toad running free behind me again.

Tags
hitch break, hitch problem