Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2021, 03:53 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Georgia
THOR #22349
Thor search

Just my wife and I and we are looking for the right size and efficiency to travel a bit. Had 28’ in the past. Like a nice bed for comfort.

Where is the best site to find the right unit. Thinking a few years old and well taken care of unit. Diesel or gas.

What is recommended?..

Many thanks.
Ronnie

Old 02-27-2021, 04:53 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.2 E-450
State: Texas
THOR #4181
Welcome to the Forum, Claybird8, and interesting to see your first post. Maybe we can also answer “How long is a piece of string?”

Joking aside you’ll need to share much more of your preferences and already identified options, to get any meaningful advice. The members of the Forum are a wonderful, knowledgeable and supportive resource. … And their time is also a gift.
TerryJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 05:36 PM   #3

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claybird8 View Post
Just my wife and I and we are looking for the right size and efficiency to travel a bit. Had 28’ in the past. Like a nice bed for comfort.

Where is the best site to find the right unit. Thinking a few years old and well taken care of unit. Diesel or gas.

What is recommended?..

Many thanks.
Ronnie
You can find floor plans for new units at Thormotorcoach.com, or other manufaturers sites, and then look for used units of the same models.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:41 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #22349
Sorry, I am new to the site. My wife and I are in our early seventies and looking to get out a bit and are tired of the covid thing.

We live in North Ga. I shoot sporting clays as a pro shooter. No registered targets last year. Master Class for 30 tears. Gotta get back on the trail.

So looking for a unit that is comfortable and maneuverable as I do not plan to tow a car. I have a Polaris Northstar we pull to shoots. I'd like to be able to park in lots for dinner and lunches on the way there and back. Thinking about 26-28 ft. would be best. Diesel or gas> advantages or disadvantages of each..

I would appreciate any help.

The gift of knowledge and experience is appreciated.

Ronnie
Old 02-27-2021, 05:57 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to our campfire.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:14 AM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum! Suggest you start with RVtrader.com and also check rvt.com. Both allow you to sort by multiple parameters. Happy hunting!
Old 03-01-2021, 01:08 AM   #7

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Welcome aboard and Happy hunting!
26' - 28' there are numerous units available in Class C. Most will be gassers. Not a lot of availability in a true Class A in that length. Our ACE 27.2 is the smallest A that Thor makes and it is a touch under 29'. Thor also sells what they call an RUV (Recreational Utility Vehicle) which in essence is a small Class A. Before we bought our ACE 27.2 we were were looking hard at the Axis 24.1. It will fit your 26'-28' parameter and it is another gasser.
If you want a diesel there are several smaller C's in the 26'- 28' that are built on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis that will fill the bill.
So many choices have fun looking!
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:24 AM   #8

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Welcome Ronnie to the forum.

There are many things to consider in your case. Gas Class C motor homes usually cost less then diesel models. Gas models are cheaper when it comes to maintenance as compared to the diesel models. Diesel models require DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) for the emissions to work correctly and that is inexpensive but something to add to the trips as needed. You need to consider where you want the bed to be located(in the rear or along the side). Do you want slide outs for additional interior room? A wet bath or a regular dry bath with separate shower? Do you want/need exterior storage compartments? For the bedroom, do you want a queen/king bed or twin beds? Your best way to start a list is to look online at several models and if possible visit a local (or few local) dealership(s) and actually go inside a few units to judge what best works for the two of you. There are many fine used units out there to choose from and most will have all of the bugs worked out. R V Rental units are sold every year and may offer you a good deal. You might also look at renting one or more for a few days to see if any fill your needs before buying.

Good luck
Paul
Old 03-01-2021, 02:22 AM   #9

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
You can get a feel for it by looking at floor plans, but you really need to visit a dealer and walk through a few before you settle on one. Good luck in your search. Looking, at least for me, is part of the fun. There are so many different models to choose from.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:49 AM   #10

THOR #1589
Here's the best tip anyone can give. Rent a unit as close to what you think is the right size and type. In just a few days, you will likely have a better idea of what you need and what you want. Some dealers rent, and there are at least two websites for RV rentals by owner.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:17 AM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
The Missus and I love our Sprinter-based Class C. We ordered it without the cabover bunk in order to get more cabinet space. We are also replacing the convertible couch with reclining theater seating.
Sleeping for just the two of us: PRICELESS!
Old 03-02-2021, 11:26 PM   #12

Model: 35SF
State: Michigan
THOR #18186
Hello ClayBird Family,
Do you plan to travel in the RV or actually stay in it for lengths of time?
Smaller is better for in town wine & dine but not the best for long stay overs.
Really depends on how much room you need to make you happy.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:41 AM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Here's the best tip anyone can give. Rent a unit as close to what you think is the right size and type. In just a few days, you will likely have a better idea of what you need and what you want. Some dealers rent, and there are at least two websites for RV rentals by owner.
Outstanding,advice!
Old 03-03-2021, 02:02 AM   #14

THOR #1589
Hey Bob, an old Dutch saying went something like, "We grow too soon old, too late smart!"
Old 03-03-2021, 02:07 AM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
My Gramma Denman had that up on the wall of her dining room.