Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2015, 01:13 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Quebec
THOR #1832
I also carry an electric heater for when we are at campsites. I also noticed it get quite warm in the kitchen cabinets when it is hot ouside. I had to line the rear portion of the cupboards (exterior wall portion) with aluminium bubble wrap to help temper things a bit.

Its interesting to see that they do have dual panes available, it seems just not in the Vegas.

Larry & Annie

Old 04-24-2015, 09:04 PM   #42

State: Alabama
THOR #1478
Stop by the RV dealership today to finally answer the queation as to weather the mattress folds or not. The mattress does fold and it folds a lot more than I thought it would. Please see attached pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150424_141753.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	378   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150424_141707.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	379  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150424_141724.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	380   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150424_141741.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	381  

Old 04-25-2015, 12:24 AM   #43

State: Quebec
THOR #1832
Thanks Timp410,

Wow! That is much more than I thought also. The one saving grace is that it opens to the rear making the coach longer by maybe a foot not wider.
For a while I had figured I would reduce the length of the mattress of 6 inches but man... that thing is pointing strait up.
At least now we know for sure. In a pinch I will have to sleep on the couch .

Thanks again,

Larry & Annie
Old 04-25-2015, 02:35 AM   #44

State: Alabama
THOR #1478
Yes, I was surprise it folded that much. There is no way to use the bed with the slide in. I see now that the base the mattress sits on does not move with the slide, the mattress moves across the base with the slide. It’s still a nice coach.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:32 PM   #45

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
My wife and I are considering the compact Axis/Vegas in lieu of a large Class B. Because we travel around more than camp in one area for days, we prefer no slides; particularly in the front living area where it interferes more with passengers during the day. Because of this we like the 25.2 model best. We'd prefer no slides at all if only Thor offered the 25.2 with the 24.1's twin beds.

Anyway, I just noticed that Thor replaced the original "L" shaped couch with a jack-knife couch in the 2016 model. I like that it's easier to make into a bed but now there is no forward-facing seating. So I'm wondering if sitting sidewards during travel is an issue, particularly with small children in car seats?

I'd also like to know whether non-structural design changes can be made to a motorhome if ordered. For example, can one order a dinette in place of a couch?

Lastly, I'm curious if anyone has seen any of the 2016 models and know whether they incorporate the revised 2016 Ford chassis? I'm thinking it's worth waiting for the upgrade if we decide to go with an Axis instead of large van. I'd also wait for a slideless Axis but don't expect that will be an option.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:11 PM   #46
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
My wife and I are considering the compact Axis/Vegas in lieu of a large Class B. Because we travel around more than camp in one area for days, we prefer no slides; particularly in the front living area where it interferes more with passengers during the day. Because of this we like the 25.2 model best. We'd prefer no slides at all if only Thor offered the 25.2 with the 24.1's twin beds.

Anyway, I just noticed that Thor replaced the original "L" shaped couch with a jack-knife couch in the 2016 model. I like that it's easier to make into a bed but now there is no forward-facing seating. So I'm wondering if sitting sidewards during travel is an issue, particularly with small children in car seats?

I'd also like to know whether non-structural design changes can be made to a motorhome if ordered. For example, can one order a dinette in place of a couch?

Lastly, I'm curious if anyone has seen any of the 2016 models and know whether they incorporate the revised 2016 Ford chassis? I'm thinking it's worth waiting for the upgrade if we decide to go with an Axis instead of large van. I'd also wait for a slideless Axis but don't expect that will be an option.
First a 2016 motor home does not necessarily equal a 2016 chassis. More often than not the chassis is one year behind the motor home year. The only way to be certain is to research the chassis VIN.

Second, when you look at the coach look for the child safety seat restraints. The areas where these are located are the only areas recommended for securing a child seat. In my current coach the only way passengers can ride is sideways on the coach. I have dinette seating and the chairs have to be strapped down for travel.

As to non structural changes I do not believe Thor offers those types of changes. You would need to talk to a dealer or a Thor regional representative to know for sure.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:23 PM   #47
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The Vegas/Axis units ride on the E-350 stripped chassis. If by "revised chassis" you are referring to the new Ford Transit vans: No, Ford makes the E-350 stripped chassis in a separate plant and doesn't plan on stopping that for a while--a while ago I found some documentation on fleet.ford.com that described those plans.

Ford does offer Transit stripped chassis models but I think it would take significant re engineering to make the Vegas/Axis on that chassis.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:49 PM   #48

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
The Vegas/Axis units ride on the E-350 stripped chassis. If by "revised chassis" you are referring to the new Ford Transit vans: No, Ford makes the E-350 stripped chassis in a separate plant and doesn't plan on stopping that for a while--a while ago I found some documentation on fleet.ford.com that described those plans.

Ford does offer Transit stripped chassis models but I think it would take significant re engineering to make the Vegas/Axis on that chassis.
I do mean the "E-Series" stripped chassis on which the Axis and Vegas are built on. Starting with 2016 model year the revised chassis will include some upgrades including a switch to the 6R140 6-speed automatic used on heavier duty trucks. Gear spacing is improved compared to previous 5-speed. There are other revisions but the transmission is the one I care most about.

I'm familiar with Transit cutaway and cab chassis but have not seen anything at all about a stripped chassis. Not that the Transit chassis has the size or Gross Vehicle Weight Rating to handle a Class A motorhome. As is, I feel the 12,500 pound E-350 is marginal -- another reason why I'd eliminate the slide if possible.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:56 PM   #49

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
First a 2016 motor home does not necessarily equal a 2016 chassis. More often than not the chassis is one year behind the motor home year. The only way to be certain is to research the chassis VIN.

Second, when you look at the coach look for the child safety seat restraints. The areas where these are located are the only areas recommended for securing a child seat. In my current coach the only way passengers can ride is sideways on the coach. I have dinette seating and the chairs have to be strapped down for travel.

As to non structural changes I do not believe Thor offers those types of changes. You would need to talk to a dealer or a Thor regional representative to know for sure.
Thanks. So does your coach allow for a child seat to be installed in sideways position? Or are you not able to travel with car seats?

The only child restraints I've seen were on forward-facing seats. And I would like that option if at all possible. If just for the two of us the side facing couch would work OK.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:05 PM   #50
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Thanks. So does your coach allow for a child seat to be installed in sideways position? Or are you not able to travel with car seats?

The only child restraints I've seen were on forward-facing seats. And I would like that option if at all possible. If just for the two of us the side facing couch would work OK.
This is taken directly from page 34 of the owners manual:

"If your motorhome is not equipped with a forward facing booth dinette seat, we recommend that small children that require a child seat not be transported in a motorhome."

This owners manual covers all Class B+, Class C and Class A Gas motorhomes.
FMCA - F432054
Old 05-30-2015, 10:41 PM   #51

THOR #2121
Quote:
This is taken directly from page 34 of the owners manual:

"If your motorhome is not equipped with a forward facing booth dinette seat, we recommend that small children that require a child seat not be transported in a motorhome."

This owners manual covers all Class B+, Class C and Class A Gas motorhomes.
Thanks again for clarification. Based on that "recommendation" it appears only one of the four floorplans may be suitable for small children. And with front slide and lack of permanent bed(s) that particular model is not our favorite.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:12 PM   #52
Site Team

THOR #1469
Our first grandchild is due in November so I guess I better tell my wife the grandchild doesn't go travelling with us. I figure it would be about two or three years before that would happen anyway.
FMCA - F432054
Old 05-30-2015, 11:45 PM   #53

THOR #2121
Quote:
Our first grandchild is due in November so I guess I better tell my wife the grandchild doesn't go travelling with us. I figure it would be about two or three years before that would happen anyway.
Congratulations.

Ours are now 1 and 3, and a major reason we want to upgrade from van camping to a much larger Class B or compact Euro-style Class A. As far as I can tell Axis/Vegas is only compact Class A in US market -- excluding Sprinter-based diesels we are not pursuing.

If you know of any other compact Class As please let me know. And by compact I don't mean just short, but also narrow, low, and relatively light. Almost like a super-sized Class B would be ideal. Axis/Vegas comes close to bridging the gap between As and Bs.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:43 AM   #54
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Congratulations.

Ours are now 1 and 3, and a major reason we want to upgrade from van camping to a much larger Class B or compact Euro-style Class A. As far as I can tell Axis/Vegas is only compact Class A in US market -- excluding Sprinter-based diesels we are not pursuing.

If you know of any other compact Class As please let me know. And by compact I don't mean just short, but also narrow, low, and relatively light. Almost like a super-sized Class B would be ideal. Axis/Vegas comes close to bridging the gap between As and Bs.
The other option is to install a removable forward facing jump seat. When the time comes I will pursue that option. That way it can be installed when needed and left behind when not needed.
FMCA - F432054
Old 05-31-2015, 02:21 AM   #55

Model: Vegas
State: Oregon
THOR #1838
I have a 2015 24.1 Vegas with HWH hydraulic jacks. They work great, but are a bit low for uneven campsites... sometimes one of the fold-down jacks will hit the ground before extending. I'm scheduled next week to have that problem addressed at the dealer.

I've also installed a KVH Trackvision A9 satellite dish. Pretty cool at only 5" high. The in-motion feature isn't much good without an inverter, but so far it works very well in camp.

I added a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, rear track bar, and beefy rear swaybar that dramatically improved handling. Small tweaks left to do and I'll be a happy camper.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:06 PM   #56

THOR #2121
Quote:
The other option is to install a removable forward facing jump seat. When the time comes I will pursue that option. That way it can be installed when needed and left behind when not needed.
Looking at pictures of the new 25.2 interior with jack-knife sofa, I can't see where there would be room to install and secure a jump seat, not to mention two of them. Depending on what equipment Thor places under the 25.2's sofa, it may be easier to replace it with a booth dinette capable of seating 4, with 2 facing forward. Matching finish and fabrics would be tough though.

On the subject of the sofa, I noticed the floorplan states it makes into 60X74 bed, but a picture I saw from dealer with sofa open clearly shows it more in the range of 38 to 40 inches wide, or what is typical for jack-knife sofas. The picture shows it opening only to corner of bathroom wall, which is far from 60 inches. Is it possible that there is some type of extension missing from photo, or is it more likely a spec misprint?

Photos also show that compared to a 38-inch-wide single-bed-size dinette, the 25.2's sofa arrangement has less aisle space when table is up. The table clearly goes past the corner of the bathroom wall. A dinette option (or replacement) would open the middle aisle compared to table being up.

In researching other Thor products, I noticed that on certain models they make a sofa an option to a dinette. And that's in a slide. I don't see why the opposite may not also work.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:22 PM   #57
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I think that 60X74 sleeping area is a misprint as it also shows that size on the 24.1 with the slide.

On our 24.1 when making up that bed you have to have the slide out because the bed fills the entire area completely (it touches the drawers in the kitchen). With no slide on the 25.2 I can't see how the bed would be that large.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 04:57 PM   #58

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I think that 60X74 sleeping area is a misprint as it also shows that size on the 24.1 with the slide.

On our 24.1 when making up that bed you have to have the slide out because the bed fills the entire area completely (it touches the drawers in the kitchen). With no slide on the 25.2 I can't see how the bed would be that large.
Jamie, does that mean that on the 24.1 model that if all beds were being used, that a person sleeping over the cab area would not be able to get to the bathroom without crawling over the middle bed? Or do you mean it touches the kitchen cabinets unless slide is out? Not sure which you mean.

I'm also wondering if your sofa, being much different in design, sits farther from the driver-side wall when made as a bed. As I recall it sits farther from wall when in seating position than a jack-knife sofa. These compact motorhomes should still be around 90 inches wide inside, so a 60-inch-wide center bed should leave "about" 30 inches of width for the kitchen cabinets. It seems doable although it would leave no aisle to get to the bathroom at night.

While it may be possible I agree that it's likely a misprint. I've never seen a jack-knife couch that had an extension to increase width. That's not to say it hasn't been done -- I'm just not aware of one.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:20 PM   #59

THOR #2121
P.S. -- Jamie, one more related question. Once parked, do you leave the 24.1 table up after dinner or remove it for extra space?

Sorry for all the questions but you guys who own these know more than dealers about how the RV actually works in real life.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:44 PM   #60

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1547
Chance,
When the slide is out the queen size sofa bed stretches to the kitchen cabinets, so anyone in the bunk would have to crawl over the sofa bed to access the bathroom. We camp as a couple, so we don't use the bunk or sofa bed. However, the 24.1 has an oversize king, so there would be plenty of room for a little one to share the space. Probably what we will do with a young grandchild! Alternatively you could leave it as 2 twins for the kids, and they could go to sleep early in the bedroom,and you would still have the front cab chairs and sofa to relax on. If you put a child in the bunk, then you can not sit in the cab seats at the same time. You and your wife could sleep on the sofa bed, and the bathroom would be more accessible to all. Also, I really like the idea of us being between the kids and the outside door!!! Just a few thoughts!!

With regards to the table,even with the slide it cuts down substantially on floor space when not in use. With just the 2 of us we eat on the front table between the cab seats and almost never use the other table.