Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2017, 04:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #8309
Arrow Thor Vegas Engineer DJ owner with very useful knowledge experience common sense HELP

I typed a long story here and the forum lost it somehow so here is the quick:

My Thor Vegas didn't come with a spare tire (can't believe that) but I have to spend more $ to buy a spare rim and tire. Worth it for 2 reasons 1 I don't want to wait on side of road 2 I don't want to pay 2-4 times price of mobile mechanics tire.

Now Good Sam want to sell me Roadside assistance min. $59.99 per year. Well guess what Ford has free roadside assistance and is typically 5 yrs 60K miles. Also follows vehicle is 2nd owner. Yes FREE
Most have Ford's road assistance phone in manual: 800-444-3311
But most don't have this new piece of info that you need to save in your phone; website: www.fordcommercialvehiclecenter.com

The will tow you to nearest Ford dealer. I'm going to use my creeper to get under my VEgas and mount a spare because I want that peace of mind and you can put a valve extension to air up from bumper.

Also buy the best VIAir compressor on amazon for $207 Trust me I'm an engineer you do not want the $50 junk: here is link

If you ever need 5 star Wedding or Corporate Entertainment please return the favor www.blazinsounds.com

Old 07-14-2017, 02:18 AM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze15 View Post
...Worth it for 2 reasons 1 I don't want to wait on side of road 2 I don't want to pay 2-4 times price of mobile mechanics tire...[/URL]

Welcome to the forum.

Adding a spare tire has been discussed and debated her thoroughly, easy to find with a search on the forum. In all the years and all the miles in various RVs, I have never needed a spare. I have changed out a few car tires over the years, but I won't be changing a tire on my RV. I don't want the extra weight and space the spare and necessary tools require. That's my reality. Yours may vary, depending on where and how you travel.

My personal experience with two separate blown tires on my previous coach was that it took 4 hours each time, and the price of the tire was exactly the same as the price of the tires from the tire shop where I replaced the remaining 4 tires. And yes, I shopped around for the best deal on those 4.

You'll find folks on this forum that feel strongly that a mounted spare is a must. This forum has been a great place to disagree in a friendly way!
Old 07-14-2017, 03:22 AM   #3

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post

Welcome to the forum.

Adding a spare tire has been discussed and debated her thoroughly, easy to find with a search on the forum. In all the years and all the miles in various RVs, I have never needed a spare. I have changed out a few car tires over the years, but I won't be changing a tire on my RV. I don't want the extra weight and space the spare and necessary tools require. That's my reality. Yours may vary, depending on where and how you travel.

My personal experience with two separate blown tires on my previous coach was that it took 4 hours each time, and the price of the tire was exactly the same as the price of the tires from the tire shop where I replaced the remaining 4 tires. And yes, I shopped around for the best deal on those 4.

You'll find folks on this forum that feel strongly that a mounted spare is a must. This forum has been a great place to disagree in a friendly way!
Yes, agree. To each his own... to spare or not to spare, that is the question....
Old 07-14-2017, 03:36 AM   #4

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Yes, agree. To each his own... to spare or not to spare, that is the question....
I agree about not wanting to change a tire, but figure carrying a spare will be faster when road side assistance comes.

When travelling around the country, especially rural areas, how easy is it to get a spare tire? Do the road side assistance guys normally carry them, or is it a tow too someplace to try and find one the next day (if at night)?
Old 07-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Been camping now for almost 20 years: Had to change 1 tire on our 5er. (It was the typical 5er story: Driving along blissfully unaware and someone pulls up next to us pointing back at the trailer. Pull over and looky a tire blew. The tires were old and I may have let them go a little too long.)

In that same time frame I've also had to replace 1 vehicle tire: Ran over something in our F-350; fortunately the tire lasted long enough that I just drove it to Discount Tire before all the air was completely gone.

A coworker had to use Ford's roadside assistance (the same assistance is included for Ford's EVs--go figure you may run out of charge). When you call the Ford number you get a dispatcher who finds the nearest contracted company to your location. For us RV'ers you could stress when you make the call that you'll need a tire (thus likely limiting the contractors available to the ones that can supply a tire). In his case it took a few hours because they had to find a flatbed truck due to the Ford EVs hatred of being towed in any form.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:28 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
I agree about not wanting to change a tire, but figure carrying a spare will be faster when road side assistance comes.

When travelling around the country, especially rural areas, how easy is it to get a spare tire? Do the road side assistance guys normally carry them, or is it a tow too someplace to try and find one the next day (if at night)?
Since it easily fits underneath my Axis 24.1 (without a rim) and it cost me $20 for a used tire, I figure why not?

Tags
asheville nc wedding dj, ford roadside assistance, spare tire, thor vegas