Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2021, 03:34 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #23030
Thor Vegas water heater

We have a 2017 Vegas 25.2. We used it for the first time last week end and had issues with the water heater. We were on city water and 110 power. We had hot water for washing up Friday evening but when I tried to take a hot shower Saturday morning we had no hot water for the shower. It was warm for a minute then went totally cold. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-03-2021, 03:48 AM   #2

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
LOTS of things could have failed.

Couple of questions.
Is this the only thing on 120vac that doesn't work?
Will It make hot water on propane?
Old 05-03-2021, 03:58 AM   #3

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
I can't speak to your specific situation. The best function for this heater is to set the temp on the switch to 104± but don't mix any cold, that just screws it up. I f to haven't already, go to thormotorcoach.com and register at the owner's portal. You'll need your VIN. You always need the last 8 digits to communicate with customer service. In the owner's section you'll see Vehicle Documents. There you can d/l the manuals for all the appliances. You find troubleshooting guides in most. Keep digging and you'll find helpful videos (±). Hopefully you'll come up with some help.

Also use the Seach feature of the forum, someone may have dealt with this before.
Good luck.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:02 AM   #4

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Based on gnach's suggestions, it sounds like you have a tankless water heater. If the water pressure is too low it won't work right, so you might check that.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:32 PM   #5

THOR #23030
A number of people have said to get an adjustable water pressure regulator. Any suggestions for which one to get. I have seen them from around $20-$50 on Amazon and Walmart.com. For my Vegas 25.2 2017. Thanks
Old 05-08-2021, 09:32 PM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I had to remove a small plastic button with three small holes in it located where the wand attaches to the shower hose to increase flow and get the water heater to work. Works fine now. And yes set the water temp you want and only use the hot water valve wide open, ie no cold water.

David
Old 05-08-2021, 11:33 PM   #7

THOR #23030
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I had to remove a small plastic button with three small holes in it located where the wand attaches to the shower hose to increase flow and get the water heater to work. Works fine now. And yes set the water temp you want and only use the hot water valve wide open, ie no cold water.

David
I still haven't figured out how to adjust the water temp. Any idea where the hwh control is on my Vegas 25.2 2017. Thanks for the advice I will look for that button.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:06 AM   #8

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKap View Post
I still haven't figured out how to adjust the water temp. Any idea where the hwh control is on my Vegas 25.2 2017. Thanks for the advice I will look for that button.
There is a hot water control panel for the Girard water heater, which in mine is in the bedroom. There is a button that turns it on and off and when on you can adjust the temp up or down. The set temperature shows for a few seconds in an LED box and then goes out.

When the hot water is flowing fast enough there is a rotating pump symbol and the water temp is displayed. It takes a few seconds to get up to its set temp. The water flow needs to be at least 0.8 gpm or the water heater won't come on. That was why I had to remove the little button, the shower water flow was too low to turn on the water heater.

But it should work in the kitchen sink. Turn it on and in 5-10 seconds it should start getting hot.

If none of this makes sense and you don't have a display like described above, maybe you don't have a Girard hot water heater. Thor started installing them in about 2017.

David
Old 05-09-2021, 01:20 AM   #9

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
My ‘17 Vegas has the tankless
Runs only on Propane
The control to adjust temp is in the bedroom

You might own an early ‘17 model with 6gal tank
Later ‘17 builds went to tankless
Old 05-09-2021, 05:54 AM   #10

Model: AXIS 25.3
THOR #20631
If you have the Girard then gnash is correct. Shower with hot water only and don't turn it off, just shower fast. I prefer 99 to 100 degrees. We bump it up to 124 for washing dishes since we capture the first cold water to temper it. Also, I bought a water pressure gauge and was surprised how many campgrounds don't have enough pressure for the Girard. We just fill the tank and use the water pump.

Good luck.
Wandering Woods is offline   Reply With Quote