Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2017, 02:12 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #1067
Thoughts on 25.5

There's a 25.5 offered by a dealership in the southwest at $63,000 and change. Brand new 2017 with 2500 miles on it. Probably transit miles. That's a fairly decent discount on new so i'm wondering what the group thinks of this layout. Bath and stuff in the back. slideout in the couch area i assume.

What's the consensus on this layout.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:16 AM   #2

State: Alabama
THOR #7096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeitup26 View Post
There's a 25.5 offered by a dealership in the southwest at $63,000 and change. Brand new 2017 with 2500 miles on it. Probably transit miles. That's a fairly decent discount on new so i'm wondering what the group thinks of this layout. Bath and stuff in the back. slideout in the couch area i assume.

25.5 but What model ?
Old 10-04-2017, 02:18 AM   #3

State: California
THOR #8920
If the floor plan and price fits what you want.. go for it.. Everyone has different needs and a price range for their RV..
Old 10-04-2017, 02:24 AM   #4

THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey3267 View Post
25.5 but What model ?
Axis sorry
Old 10-04-2017, 10:07 AM   #5

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
Wish we'd found that 25.5 deal when we bought our's. Darn good price, IMO. We paid $9k more for ours a couple months ago. For us, the king or twin bed options offered by the 25.5 are ideal and we especially like the larger rear bathroom with its larger shower. One thing you give up with the 25.5 is outside storage...they have a lot less than other models. However, there is more inside storage, so its a tradeoff. So far, I've been able to get everything I want to carry in our outside storage, including a folding grill, 3 folding chairs, table, tools, set of 10 leveling blocks, extra hoses & electric cord extension, etc., and still have plenty of room left. We do plan to replace the jack-knife sofa with recliners in the near future.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:28 AM   #6

THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchief View Post
Wish we'd found that 25.5 deal when we bought our's. Darn good price, IMO. We paid $9k more for ours a couple months ago. For us, the king or twin bed options offered by the 25.5 are ideal and we especially like the larger rear bathroom with its larger shower. One thing you give up with the 25.5 is outside storage...they have a lot less than other models. However, there is more inside storage, so its a tradeoff. So far, I've been able to get everything I want to carry in our outside storage, including a folding grill, 3 folding chairs, table, tools, set of 10 leveling blocks, extra hoses & electric cord extension, etc., and still have plenty of room left. We do plan to replace the jack-knife sofa with recliners in the near future.
Thanks Oldchief. I'm a single guy with no pets so the issues people state about the beds being in the way from the bath don't seem to matter to me. I don't care if it's a king or not. i just want it cheaper. thanks.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:44 PM   #7

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Consensus on the layout? I don't believe that is possible. RVs are like shoes in that different styles appeal to different people. Some can't imagine less than a 40' home on wheels, and some are content with a pop up.

So much of the preference hinges on your individual situation. And that can be a moving target. The RV we enjoyed a few years ago no longer is our preference. Having just yourself to please, with no partner, kids or pets simplifies the decision. The Axis and Vegas coaches are a great middle of the road choice. Were I traveling alone, the 25.5 would be a good fit for me. Smaller units, like most of the Class Bs, wouldn't have the storage I like.

I would expect that coach won't be available long at that price. Good luck!
Old 10-08-2017, 03:07 AM   #8

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #6523
Question

Quote:
Question about your 25.5, Oldchief - can you tuck sheets under the beds on that model, or are the cushions attached to the frame underneath?
Old 10-08-2017, 09:36 AM   #9

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
Bed cushions not attached and easily moved. However, we found them to be thin and uncomfortable, so bought 5" memory foam pads to supplement them. We took out the back cushions, that make the two bed sections in to couches and just leave the beds set up in the twin bed mode. Just 2 of us, so don't need extra seating. Beds, set up as twins measure 32" wide (about 5" less wide than a standard twin mattress), with 1 being 77" long and the other 80" long. I'm "portley" to say the least at 240 lbs and have no trouble sleeping on them. Fitted twin size sheets& mattress covers fit OK. Sheets, blankets, etc., easy to put on and off.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:33 PM   #10

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Quote:

Let me address the price since I have never been inside that floorplan. I don't know the MSRP listed on that unit, but say for example it is $80,000. Since it is now a year old (2018's are out) any dealership should come down 30% to 35% off MSRP. So that unit should be reduced to around $56,000 plus tax and fees if the list was originally $80,000.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:41 PM   #11

State: Texas
THOR #6523
Quote:
Bed cushions not attached and easily moved. However, we found them to be thin and uncomfortable, so bought 5" memory foam pads to supplement them. We took out the back cushions, that make the two bed sections in to couches and just leave the beds set up in the twin bed mode. Just 2 of us, so don't need extra seating. Beds, set up as twins measure 32" wide (about 5" less wide than a standard twin mattress), with 1 being 77" long and the other 80" long. I'm "portley" to say the least at 240 lbs and have no trouble sleeping on them. Fitted twin size sheets& mattress covers fit OK. Sheets, blankets, etc., easy to put on and off.
Thanks for the details! We've looked at the 25.5 & thought we remembered the bed on the drivers side being attached to the frame... making it difficult to tuck bedding under. Glad to hear that isn't the case!
Old 10-08-2017, 02:24 PM   #12

THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
Let me address the price since I have never been inside that floorplan. I don't know the MSRP listed on that unit, but say for example it is $80,000. Since it is now a year old (2018's are out) any dealership should come down 30% to 35% off MSRP. So that unit should be reduced to around $56,000 plus tax and fees if the list was originally $80,000.
Just about everyone you see online including MHSrv and Total Value advertise the MSRP at $115,000 and then say that it's on "sale" for $80,000. that's on the newest current year model. They have conditioned everyone to think that they are so low that there's no sense in even thinking about negotiating lower than that. The RV industry has a good list of salesmen just like autos and insurance. They build junk and then get a big number for it. They know the baby boomers want to buy an RV and "roam" freely and they know they have the military and union pensions to pay for them. The profit margin from mfg to dealer is almost 14% and who knows how much the dealers make. Most of them aren't public so it's hard to know exactly. Probably like most dealers of machinery, they make most of their money from service.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:51 PM   #13

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Quote:
Just about everyone you see online including MHSrv and Total Value advertise the MSRP at $115,000 and then say that it's on "sale" for $80,000. that's on the newest current year model. They have conditioned everyone to think that they are so low that there's no sense in even thinking about negotiating lower than that. The RV industry has a good list of salesmen just like autos and insurance. They build junk and then get a big number for it. They know the baby boomers want to buy an RV and "roam" freely and they know they have the military and union pensions to pay for them. The profit margin from mfg to dealer is almost 14% and who knows how much the dealers make. Most of them aren't public so it's hard to know exactly. Probably like most dealers of machinery, they make most of their money from service.
Actually the markup is much more than 14%. If a 2018 model RV has a across the nation MSRP of $115,000 you can bet the manufacturer sold it to the dealer for between $58,000 and $60,000. Some large dealers who may be have received numerous 2018 models, but have several 2017 models left over may be willing to let that $115,000 MSRP unit go for $70,000 or $75,000.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:47 PM   #14

THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
Actually the markup is much more than 14%. If a 2018 model RV has a across the nation MSRP of $115,000 you can bet the manufacturer sold it to the dealer for between $58,000 and $60,000. Some large dealers who may be have received numerous 2018 models, but have several 2017 models left over may be willing to let that $115,000 MSRP unit go for $70,000 or $75,000.
Thor reported a 14.3 percentage margin of profit for units sold to dealers in the last quarter. Earnings reports by NYSE listed firms are audited by independent CPAs bud.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:53 PM   #15

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I have my doubts that 2500 miles are transit unless they took the long way around from Elkhart.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:56 PM   #16

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I have my doubts that 2500 miles are transit since it’s only about 1300 miles from Elkhart.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:21 PM   #17

THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
I have my doubts that 2500 miles are transit since it’s only about 1300 miles from Elkhart.
i doubt it too. Probably testing drives. It's a moot point since the unit's in California and not the unit i want anyway.
'
Old 10-10-2017, 08:04 PM   #18

State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Quote:
i doubt it too. Probably testing drives. It's a moot point since the unit's in California and not the unit i want anyway.

'

So why did you even ask? Face it. You're never going to buy one anyway so why troll this site seemingly interested in something.
To each their own I suppose.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:09 PM   #19

THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
So why did you even ask? Face it. You're never going to buy one anyway so why troll this site seemingly interested in something.
To each their own I suppose.
With attitudes like yours i'm honestly not sure why i troll this site. To each their own i suppose.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:39 PM   #20
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
HI OLDCHIEF ! I am curious...we have the 24.1, and are very happy with the floorplan. I know the bathroom on your RV is larger...but, I am wondering how convenient it is, having the bathroom at the rear, through the bedroom ?

thanks for the feedback !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote