Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2022, 06:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: British Columbia
THOR #25206
TOAD Towing

Hi all

I am about to tow a Jeep Wrangler 4 down for the 1st time. I know you cannot backup when towing 4 down. But has anyone ever had their partner sit in the towed vehicle and steer so the front wheels don't bind, just to allow backing up say 10 or 20 feet if ever needed? Just wondering.

Thanks

Old 03-30-2022, 07:21 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 28A
State: Maryland
THOR #18761
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedcom View Post
Hi all

I am about to tow a Jeep Wrangler 4 down for the 1st time. I know you cannot backup when towing 4 down. But has anyone ever had their partner sit in the towed vehicle and steer so the front wheels don't bind, just to allow backing up say 10 or 20 feet if ever needed? Just wondering.

Thanks

I have had my wife do that several times but we only back straight for short distance…..never had a problem.
28A Chateau with 2003 Jeep TJ toad.
Old 03-30-2022, 07:57 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
You also can tell her that...then take off for the remainder of the 400 miles in peace and quiet.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 10:34 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Yes... you COULD possibly do that, and many people have successfully done it. Some things to consider:

If you inadvertently damage your tow bar (most manufacturers SPECIFICALLY say DO NOT back up) - you stand the chance of voiding your warranty.

Also, ask yourself if it's worth taking the chance to save 10 to 15 minutes. I prefer NOT to take those risks... just unhitch, move the TOAD, back up the MH. When you're done, just move to a convenient spot and re-hitch.
Old 03-30-2022, 10:54 PM   #5

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
"But has anyone ever had their partner sit in the towed vehicle and steer so the front wheels don't bind, just to allow backing up say 10 or 20 feet if ever needed?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philturnersr View Post
I have had my wife do that several times but we only back straight for short distance…..never had a problem.
28A Chateau with 2003 Jeep TJ toad.
Depends on the partner

dw is not very good at it
Old 03-30-2022, 11:08 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Hi all

Thanks
Why would you want to? Prior planning should keep you out of those types of situations.
Old 03-30-2022, 11:36 PM   #7

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Why would you want to? Prior planning should keep you out of those types of situations.
Should and we do
We were driving along singing a song... ops missed our exit, we're ok Google maps says left at next exit, straight for 2 miles left...OPS somebody forgot to tell Google the gate will be CLOSED today
Old 03-31-2022, 01:32 AM   #8

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Hi all

Thanks
Never had. I did watch a couple do just that when they overshot their site.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 01:46 AM   #9

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
Should and we do
We were driving along singing a song... ops missed our exit, we're ok Google maps says left at next exit, straight for 2 miles left...OPS somebody forgot to tell Google the gate will be CLOSED today
Pulls up to gate and stops.
Gets out and unhitches TOAD.
Pulls TOAD out of way.
Backs up motorhome... turns around.
Hitches TOAD to motorhome.

Now... what verse were we singing?
Old 04-13-2022, 07:22 PM   #10

THOR #2228
Quote:
Hi all

Thanks
Just use the jeep to backup your rig.
Old 04-13-2022, 07:50 PM   #11

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Hi all

Thanks
I have a surge brake dolly and tow with a bit over 65 feet

Given it is a surge brake dolly that works well you don't back up without stressing the hitch and sliding tires. Luckily I have never needed to backup. If you think you might, electric brakes are for you

Unloading, unhooking, and reloading does take longer than towing 4 down so I avoid getting in that tight spot

Also tow the F150 4 down
Old 04-13-2022, 08:23 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Regency Ultra Brougham IB
State: Arizona
THOR #13468
Perhaps I am wrong, but I thought I remembered seeing something in the Jeep instructions for flat towing that you should never back up the vehicle when it is set up for flat towing. Something about damaging an automatic transmission.

I know the transmission is in neutral and the transfer case is in neutral (at least they should be) so I would not think it would be an issue, but I have this nagging feeling that I did read somewhere to never do that.

Then again, perhaps I am wrong. It has happened before …
Old 04-13-2022, 08:45 PM   #13

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
Perhaps I am wrong, but I thought I remembered seeing something in the Jeep instructions for flat towing that you should never back up the vehicle when it is set up for flat towing. Something about damaging an automatic transmission.

I know the transmission is in neutral and the transfer case is in neutral (at least they should be) so I would not think it would be an issue, but I have this nagging feeling that I did read somewhere to never do that.

Then again, perhaps I am wrong. It has happened before …

I believe the problem with backing up is that the towed’s steering will be different from the coach and the difference will apply huge unintended forces on the towing equipment. In fact because of the castor on the towed’s wheels it will quickly go to full lock. On my Jeep you are supposed to tow with the automatic transmission in park….
Old 04-13-2022, 08:53 PM   #14

State: Missouri
THOR #19360
I have been in a couple of situations where I have wanted to back up but my Blue Max system cost too darn much to chance the damage. Just unhitch and re hitch. Don't chance it.

Alajeu
Old 04-13-2022, 08:59 PM   #15
sip

State: California
THOR #5882
In a bind I have even backed up by myself ... back up a bit, when the toad starts going off and binding, pull forward a bit, stop, go adjust toad steering, repeat.

Its not really anything magical happening. You just don't want the toad to turn and bind up and then you push against it all bound up (or worse it going into something you don't want to drive into).

Edit: Regarding surge brake (I have surge brakes as well), I didn't notice it engaging when backing up slowly. But that's certainly something to watch for ... as when you back up you are potentially activating the surge brake as lwmcguir said as well. Should probably disconnect the surge brake cable but I havne't had to before ... but I also haven't back up too often .. just a couple times for short distances in like tight gas stations or once when trying to make a tight u-turn.
Old 04-13-2022, 10:28 PM   #16

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
I have thought about it and decided no joy for us. My reasoning, the tow bar is designed to engage the arm locks in forward. I don't know if the locking mechanism will stand up to forces in the opposite direction.
In actuality with a little preplanning backing up has not been an issue and if I do get pinned in somewhere I will take the 10-15 minutes to unhook, move the MH and re-hook up the Cherokee. We are retired No need to be in that big a hurry anyhow
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 10:55 PM   #17

THOR #15940
Quote:
Hi all

Thanks
Yes. You have to have the TOAD running so the power steering is functional. Had to do it a couple of times over the last 22 years.
Old 04-13-2022, 10:55 PM   #18

THOR #16721
So... on a busy freeway - 70mph speed limit. You missed your exit, and the next exit is 10 miles.

You see a turnaround spot in the median up ahead... but there's a no U-turns sign. What to do??

It's the same thought process for deciding whether to back up with a toad in tow. For some it's damn the torpedoes...
Old 04-13-2022, 10:57 PM   #19

THOR #15940
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
I have thought about it and decided no joy for us. My reasoning, the tow bar is designed to engage the arm locks in forward. I don't know if the locking mechanism will stand up to forces in the opposite direction.
In actuality with a little preplanning backing up has not been an issue and if I do get pinned in somewhere I will take the 10-15 minutes to unhook, move the MH and re-hook up the Cherokee. We are retired No need to be in that big a hurry anyhow
The traffic behind you may be in more of a hurry than you are.
Old 04-13-2022, 10:59 PM   #20

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by trowan View Post
Just use the jeep to backup your rig.
This is an excellent solution.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote