Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2019, 05:20 PM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We're just glad that you're back, and getting the issues beaten into submission.

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:43 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
We're just glad that you're back, and getting the issues beaten into submission.
Thx! I've got so much to learn & am starting to feel a wee bit more comfortable, but I gotta long way to go! I dove in to fulltiming just like I dove into the military. But I don't have the "luxury" of drill sgts to think for me. In the Army they used to say you aren't issued a brain till you'e got enuf experience to know when (not jus how) to use if (it's a safety issue). Around the time you make E-4 they take your trainin wheels off. It feels a bit like I'm going thru that process again now. I find I don't trust myself to make all my own decisions w/no real world trainin or experience to choose wisely. In the Army, those decisions were often ones of life & death. I've already seen it's not much different w/my RV barreling down the road! I still have peoples lives on the line, not jus my own. Hopefully, this time I will remember what happens when you think you know it all & avoid gettin too big for my britches (every troop does, though, usually right after basic, & most survive...). Having y'all nearby (so to speak) makes me feel more secure during this learning process & hopefully I won't try to take my training wheels off too early!
Old 02-11-2019, 05:46 PM   #23

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Soldier Girl, Sanity for an RV owner is overrated - we overpay, OEM's under deliver, dealerships s t r e t c h the truth, Campgrounds sometimes overcharge and we travel the highways and roads with people texting, reading, eating and putting on makeup or clothes all while going 70+ MPH.. THERE IS NO SANITY in this, just great sunrises and sunsets, great friends at the countries most beautiful parks and locations - don't look for sanity, look for your next campfire!!

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:47 PM   #24
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I've always been a pretty cautious person: nothing gets done until I've "rolled it around in my head" for long enough to start feeling comfortable with the idea of taking a course of action...
It works for me...
Old 02-11-2019, 05:53 PM   #25

State: California
THOR #9612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier Girl View Post
Thx! I've got so much to learn & am starting to feel a wee bit more comfortable, but I gotta long way to go! I dove in to fulltiming just like I dove into the military. But I don't have the "luxury" of drill sgts to think for me. In the Army they used to say you aren't issued a brain till you'e got enuf experience to know when (not jus how) to use if (it's a safety issue). Around the time you make E-4 they take your trainin wheels off. It feels a bit like I'm going thru that process again now. I find I don't trust myself to make all my own decisions w/no real world trainin or experience to choose wisely. In the Army, those decisions were often ones of life & death. I've already seen it's not much different w/my RV barreling down the road! I still have peoples lives on the line, not jus my own. Hopefully, this time I will remember what happens when you think you know it all & avoid gettin too big for my britches (every troop does, though, usually right after basic, & most survive...). Having y'all nearby (so to speak) makes me feel more secure during this learning process & hopefully I won't try to take my training wheels off too early!
When you get it all figured out, let us know . It take a few trip to get comfortable, than it's 2nd nature,. Enjoy your adventures, I smile more on my trips than just being a couch potato. Good luck have fun.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:54 PM   #26

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
I've always been a pretty cautious person: nothing gets done until I've "rolled it around in my head" for long enough to start feeling comfortable with the idea of taking a course of action...
It works for me...

Bob's Brain:

Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:18 PM   #27

THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck and Mary Ann View Post
Soldier Girl, Sanity for an RV owner is overrated - we overpay, OEM's under deliver, dealerships s t r e t c h the truth, Campgrounds sometimes overcharge and we travel the highways and roads with people texting, reading, eating and putting on makeup or clothes all while going 70+ MPH.. THERE IS NO SANITY in this, just great sunrises and sunsets, great friends at the countries most beautiful parks and locations - don't look for sanity, look for your next campfire!!
Awesome summation! I plan on borrowing it to send to family, if you don't mind? This is the sign that was next to my RV at the Jacksonville Naval Air Station - seems rv'ers find themselves w/interesting neighbors, not much different from the military... so far I'm loving this rving life (& I actually get a choice in where I track)!Click image for larger version

Name:	20190125_185633.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	15632
Old 02-11-2019, 09:23 PM   #28

THOR #13770
Hmmm, I have a magnet on my stove hood that says, "This family is jus one tent away from a full blown circus", must run in rv'ers dna...
Old 02-12-2019, 12:31 PM   #29

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Soldier Girl, now that you have the RV you have to update your profile from "Still Looking" to what Brand Unit you bought/drive/tow! Just so the rest of us might recognize you (if that's a desire) when we might be in the same campground! And of course think about the Forum Member Decals we have been discussing.

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:02 PM   #30

THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck and Mary Ann View Post
Soldier Girl, now that you have the RV you have to update your profile from "Still Looking" to what Brand Unit you bought/drive/tow! Just so the rest of us might recognize you (if that's a desire) when we might be in the same campground! And of course think about the Forum Member Decals we have been discussing.
Oops, I'll change it now (if I can remember how to find it...)
Old 02-14-2019, 02:52 PM   #31

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Well, we're glad you are back! I for one have been looking forward to your take on mobile living.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:48 PM   #32
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Bob's Brain:
It's really a whole lot more like THIS!
Old 02-14-2019, 04:54 PM   #33

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #2878
Congratulations. Even though we like to joke around a lot, between all of us, we can help out with a lot of issues from our and others experiences. Don't be afraid to ask. And if the Army wanted you to have a brain, they would have issued you one!
Old 02-14-2019, 07:54 PM   #34

THOR #13770
Thx 99dart! So far none of the problems outweighs the exhilaration of choosing my own road.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:03 PM   #35

THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip 500 View Post
Congratulations. Even though we like to joke around a lot, between all of us, we can help out with a lot of issues from our and others experiences. Don't be afraid to ask. And if the Army wanted you to have a brain, they would have issued you one!
Thanks Skip 500! Yep, things were much easier before they issued me my 1st brain! They got me young enuf & long enuf that my brain is hardwired to always fall back on that training & makes me permanently think in od green (not the environmental shade of green, lol). That can cause some rather comical cultural misunderstandings, but I'm getting better at translating civvie culture as time goes by. I'm glad y'all are there. I've been saved from several boo boos & survived other mishaps this past month bc of everyone's help, I really appreciate it
Old 02-14-2019, 08:24 PM   #36
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
"Mil-Spec" brains...
Is that sort of like: "When in doubt: empty the magazine! If you're still in doubt: reload, and repeat as necessary."
Old 02-14-2019, 08:48 PM   #37

THOR #13770
Quote:
"Mil-Spec" brains...
Is that sort of like: "When in doubt: empty the magazine! If you're still in doubt: reload, and repeat as necessary."
Roger that, Bob. Your mil-spec brain analogy is outdamnstanding, & you're pretty much right on target (pun definitely intended) about the default response to doubt. Gen Mattis' admonition to his troops says it all, "Be polite, be professional, & have a plan to kill everyone uou meet"... Seriously though, I apologize if my warped military humor comes accross offensive, that's not my intent. Hopefully no one ever asks me to discuss the merits of spaghetti dinner as a reward for completing a 1st autopsy - I had that happen & didn't realize the effect it had in a non mil environment until most of the guests at a luncheon lost their appetites...[emoji39]
Old 02-14-2019, 08:52 PM   #38
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
"Offensive"???
I find it to be absolutely charming!
Old 02-14-2019, 08:58 PM   #39

THOR #13770
Thanks, I don't think anyone has ever described it that way ever before...[emoji846]
Old 02-14-2019, 11:11 PM   #40
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1550185889
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gunny 01.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	69.5 KB