Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2021, 05:36 AM   #1

Brand: Keystone
State: South Carolina
THOR #21131
US Navy Aviation – stories and pictures

This has been a popular subject in other forums.

After my father was discharged from the USA at the end of WWII he decided he wanted to learn to fly. By 1947 he had his civilian pilot’s license and I was his most frequent passenger. I got hooked and wanted to fly Navy aircraft some day. My dreams were shattered at age 13 when an accident severely damaged my right hand. After more than a year of learning how to use my right hand again, I strengthened it and when I got to age 17 I passed the USN enlisted entrance physical.

Just prior to my 18th birthday I joined the USN and went to boot camp in Jan of 1957 at Great Lakes, IL. Burr, it was cold there. At my boot camp job interview, I asked for Aviation duty. I graduated as an Aviation Apprentice and got orders to MATRON-2 Naval Air Station Barbers Point, Oahu, TH. Well, I had to ask my chief where Oahu TH was. He said “you lucky SOB you’re going to Hawaii”. Little did I know I was going to be broke for the next two years? I by-passed the Naval Aircraft Familiarization courses at Norman, OK because of already learning the basic theory of flight from my father.

Right after I reported to MATRON-2 the name was changed to AIRBARSRON-2 (Air Barrier Service Squadron). By the time I transferred from there, it was one of the largest squadrons in the USN.

The squadron’s primary aircraft were Super Constellations and Beach Craft. Their Navy designations were WV-2, R7V and SNB.

Back in the 50s & 60s we were not allowed to take pictures of our aircraft. So, most of my early pictures come from Navy aircraft photo archives and other storage areas.

I did 31 years with the USN and another 10 as a Navy civilian employee.

Here are pictures of me and the aircraft flown and serviced at AIRBARSRON-2.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Airbarsron2 - 1957.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	32307 Click image for larger version

Name:	1a Airbarsron2 - 1957.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	32308

Name:	1b Airbarsron2 - 1957.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	32309 Click image for larger version

Name:	1c Airbarsron2 - 1957.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	32310

Old 07-29-2021, 09:48 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
That's a nice story, thanks for sharing it.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:05 PM   #3

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Great story. Thanks for posting. I am an old airdale also. Only spent 4 yrs. though. Squadrons and assignments include; USS Enterprise, VR-1 Pax River, VA-15 FL and deployed aboard USS Intrepid. . TAD Bien Hoa Air Base.
Since then, I like traveling by land trying to wear my Vegas out.
Happy trails
Old 07-29-2021, 01:25 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
If I have any regrets it's not following up on my love of flying. My other "loves" took priority... first it was music, then a commitment to family. Now I'm just too dang old!
Old 07-29-2021, 01:53 PM   #5

THOR #21131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Great story. Thanks for posting. I am an old airdale also. Only spent 4 yrs. though. Squadrons and assignments include; USS Enterprise, VR-1 Pax River, VA-15 FL and deployed aboard USS Intrepid. . TAD Bien Hoa Air Base.
Since then, I like traveling by land trying to wear my Vegas out.
Happy trails
Depending on when you were there you may know a very good and long time friend of mine. Retired Master Chief Don Doole served three sea tour assignments with VA-15. He now lives in Lady Lake, FL and golfs at least three times a week.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:11 PM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Fun thread! No complaints or problems just a good campfire conversation. My mom was a private pilot in the thirties and forties and I always wanted to learn. A decade or so ago with a pilot friends encouragement I got my light sport certificate and built an airplane. Alas my wife didn’t share the interest and when I “got retired” by my company I knew I wouldn’t be able to afford to continue flying. Sold the airplane and bought the first RV. But no regrets about flying.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0189.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	32314   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0261.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	32315  

Old 07-29-2021, 02:48 PM   #7

THOR #21131
Alameda, CA

When my two year sea duty tour ended with AIRBARSRON-2 I was transferred to Patrol Squadron 9 (VP-9) at Naval Air Station Alameda, CA. The time in Hawaii was considered overseas sea duty and was for just 2 years. At VP-9 I would complete my sea duty time before going to shore duty. At AIRBARSRON-2 I had work assignments as an engine mechanic (AD) (R3350), parachute rigger (PRM) and gaseous oxygen systems mechanic (AME). I never did deploy with VP-9 because my sea tour would end right after deployment to Japan so I transferred early.

In the Squadron picture (aircraft division) with one of our aircraft, I’m setting far left. The pictures of the P2V-7 on display at NAS, Jacksonville was taken by me.

My only work assignment for VP-9 was working on the aircraft's gaseous oxygen systems where I specialized as an oxygen regulator maintenance tech. I also tested them to 43K feet. I was then in the AME rating - aviation structural mechanic, emergency systems. Liquid oxygen was not yet used in large naval aircraft. I wasn't happy in the AME rating and went to school at Memphis, TN to change my rating to AMH (aviation structural equipment mechanic, hydraulics). The AMH encompassed a much larger area of aircraft fixtures and systems to maintain including flight controls, landing gear and wheels, tires and brakes. Also all emergence hydraulic systems. I had found my niche and would stay there all the way to retirement.

Name:	2 Alameda - 1959 - VP-9 (2).jpg
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	32317 Click image for larger version

Name:	2a NAS JAX - P2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	32318

Name:	2c NAS JAX - P2V.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	32319
Old 07-29-2021, 04:16 PM   #8

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
Quote:
Originally Posted by larSC View Post
When my two year sea duty tour ended with AIRBARSRON-2 I was transferred to Patrol Squadron 9 (VP-9) at Naval Air Station Alameda, CA. The time in Hawaii was considered overseas sea duty and was for just 2 years. At VP-9 I would complete my sea duty time before going to shore duty. At AIRBARSRON-2 I had work assignments as an engine mechanic (AD) (R3350), parachute rigger (PRM) and gaseous oxygen systems mechanic (AME). I never did deploy with VP-9 because my sea tour would end right after deployment to Japan so I transferred early.

In the Squadron picture (aircraft division) with one of our aircraft, I’m setting far left. The pictures of the P2V-7 on display at NAS, Jacksonville was taken by me.

My only work assignment for VP-9 was working on the aircraft's gaseous oxygen systems where I specialized as an oxygen regulator maintenance tech. I also tested them to 43K feet. I was then in the AME rating - aviation structural mechanic, emergency systems. Liquid oxygen was not yet used in large naval aircraft. I wasn't happy in the AME rating and went to school at Memphis, TN to change my rating to AMH (aviation structural equipment mechanic, hydraulics). The AMH encompassed a much larger area of aircraft fixtures and systems to maintain including flight controls, landing gear and wheels, tires and brakes. Also all emergence hydraulic systems. I had found my niche and would stay there all the way to retirement.

Attachment 32317 Attachment 32318

Attachment 32319
i was in jax a few years ago..it was great seeing this huge display on what was just a plain area

aslo served at jx 1983 to 1987 in HS-11

have to dig up a few pics of us flying over the old gator bowl

spent next 15 at mayport scary H2 and then the H60

one pic was in istanbul on 4th of july beer 30
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	helicopter0001 (2).jpg
Views:	28
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	32320   Click image for larger version

Name:	BEFORE 12AM.jpg
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	32321  

Name:	hsl36 final picture0001.jpg
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	32322   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200218_113541.jpg
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	32323  

Old 07-29-2021, 05:01 PM   #9

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by larSC View Post
Depending on when you were there you may know a very good and long time friend of mine. Retired Master Chief Don Doole served three sea tour assignments with VA-15. He now lives in Lady Lake, FL and golfs at least three times a week.
Thanks for the info. I'll give him a call sometime and see if we crossed paths at the same time. Lady Lake is just down the road from where I live.
I was in VA-15 IIRC 65-66. Name does not register with me right away, but then again at my age, a lot of things don't.
Just remember I do have one pic that an old buddy of mine sent. We got together after all those years a year or so ago. He lives in Winston Salem, NC
He is in the green shirt.

Name:	VA-15 Crew 2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	32324
Old 07-30-2021, 02:50 PM   #10

THOR #21131
Virginia Beach, VA

In the spring of 1964 I reported to my first tail-hook squadron. It was Fighter Squadron 41 (VF-41). The squadron was still in the process of transitioning to the F-4B Phantom II aircraft. The tail-hookers were the only type of naval aircraft I would be assigned to for the remainder of my career, sea duty and shore duty.

By this time in the navy there was an option to enter a closed-loop duty assignment program. Most married sailors opted to apply for the program. I had not joined the Navy to stay put in a geographical area and did not join the program.

My first duty/job assignment with VF-41 was to become a member of the squadron's aircraft check crew. It consisted of performing periodically controlled scheduled maintenance on all squadron aircraft. It was a great place to work and learn all the maintenance procedures necessary to provide flight safe aircraft back into full operational assignments.

About 9 months into my time with VF-41 the squadron deployed aboard the USS Independence (CVA-62). It was the first Atlantic Fleet carrier to be deployed to Pacific Fleet operations in the South China Sea area. It was a very long trip with a single stop at Singapore before off-loading our liberty boats at Cubi Point in the Philippians’.

Upon departure from Norfolk I was assigned to the squadron’s flight deck maintenance personnel as an airframes troubleshooter. I would work that job for the entire cruise all the way to the fly-off at Norfolk in December of 1965. The first aircraft to launch to NAS Oceana was our skipper. My partner and I worked that launch. The centerline tank failed on cat-shot and its 600 gallons of jet fuel immediately ignited, injuring 17 flight deck crew workers. Sam, (my partner) and I were the most severely injured. We had worked the entire cruise together and ended-up side by side at the naval hospital, Portsmouth, VA. In the end it caused Sam (power plants troubleshooter) to leave the Navy. I rehabbed and went on to shore duty.

Here are a few squadron pictures from that cruise. The one with squadron personnel surrounding a squadron aircraft was taken right after completing our first combat line period. We were heading to Yokosuka , Japan for a much needier two weeks of R&R. The last picture is from the fire. There is a red mark showing where I was standing when the fire started. The ship picture is the Independence being relieved by the Enterprise in the Indian Ocean.

Name:	3  VF-41 1965 .jpg
Views:	32
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	32333 Click image for larger version

Name:	3a  VF-41 1965.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	32334

Name:	3b  VF-41 1965.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	32335 Click image for larger version

Name:	3c USS Independance - Dec - 1965 - 1 - Copy.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	32336

Name:	3d USS Independance - Dec - 1965.jpg
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	32337
Old 07-30-2021, 07:19 PM   #11

THOR #1249
Great pics and glad you made it out alive. I had an accident on the flight deck of the Big E in 64 during night opps, got busted up, but still have most of my parts.
Where in SC do you live? I am from the Greenville area originally, but spent a lot of years working in New England area.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:16 PM   #12

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
1986 when we hmmm did some action to libya

my co worker and i painted this sh3 in TEMPRA water color paint to mimmick the libyian paint scheme so our helicopter would be less noticeable if they had to go rescue a pilot during operation el diablo canyon

this was on flight deck of USS America CV66 hs-11
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200331_215243.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	32347  
Old 07-30-2021, 11:32 PM   #13

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Thank you all for your service!
Old 07-31-2021, 10:23 AM   #14

THOR #21131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Great pics and glad you made it out alive. I had an accident on the flight deck of the Big E in 64 during night opps, got busted up, but still have most of my parts.
Where in SC do you live? I am from the Greenville area originally, but spent a lot of years working in New England area.

Greenville area (Taylors foothills section).
Old 07-31-2021, 03:56 PM   #15

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 27.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #17813
Great stories and pics! I joined in 1957 and wanted to get into the NAVCAD program but couldn't due to being color blind. Served 4 years and came out as AD2. VR24 Det Naples, Italy.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:16 PM   #16

Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941

Name:	OZ Division 1976.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	322.8 KB
ID:	32366

Joined the Navy in 1974 during the last part of the Vietnam War Era. Went to A school for Intelligence and was assigned to the USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67) in the CVIC. Two tours to the Mediterranean and one to the North Atlantic.

Name:	JFK2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	32367

November 1977 we had a collision with USS Belknap.

Name:	USS Belknap November 1975 Photo by Wayne Taylor.jpg
Size:	508.3 KB
ID:	32368

Never got tired of watching flight ops from vulture's row.

Name:	F-14 Night Shot_ +2_ -2_fused.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	32369

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:32 PM   #17

THOR #21131
Naval Air Station, Dallas, TX

While in the naval hospital, Portsmouth, VA recovering from burns from a flight deck fire I got orders to shore duty. I had been selected to be part of a Navy cadre of enlisted maintenance personnel to attend the LTV aircraft factory (Grand Prairie, TX) for training on the newly acquired A-7A Corsair II attack aircraft. Once the three month training was completed I reported to VF-174 at Naval Air Station, Cecil Field, FL (Jacksonville). By the time I got there the squadron was re-designated VA-174. I got there in Aug 1966 and a week later the squadron received its first A-7A aircraft. The west coast training squadron was VA-125 but VA-174 was the model manager and received the first operational aircraft.

I was with VA-174 for 4 years and became friends with a number of people I’m still friends with today. The squadron got very large and trained pilots and maintenance personnel for all Atlantic Fleet squadrons that transitioned to the A7 aircraft for the 20 years.

My previous service as a Parachute Rigger (PRM) and emergency equipment mechanic caught-up with me. I went to 43,000 feet in the pressure chamber and was given the collateral duty as official fly away maintenance mechanic. The A7 was a hydraulic leaker and made many emergency landings away from Cecil Field. I was tasked to go and fix them, if I could. Most of my flights to other air fields were in a C-1 or T-28 aircraft. I once flew in a TA4 to Oceana, VA to do final checks on a flight of A7s going to Rota, Spain.

For the first couple of years my primary job was with the aircraft scheduled maintenance check crew. Upon being advanced to AMH1 (E6) I became an aircraft quality assurance inspector. I stayed in that assignment until transferred to sea duty.

In 1968 right after being advanced to AMH1 I became a member of the maintenance team sent to the LTV factory to validate and qualify the maintenance manuals for the much changed and newer A7-E model that was coming off the line right along with the USAF model A7-D. We got to wear civilian attire to work and had access to everything at the factory below top secret. I spent a lot of time exploring areas of maintenance not part of my rating; especially the firing of the new M61 Gatling-style gun that was replacing the older single-barrel 20 MM gun.

Here are some pictures from my files. In the 1968 LTV factory picture I’m second from the left.

Name:	4 A7- LTV Factory.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	32373 Click image for larger version

Name:	4a VA-174 A7.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	32374

Name:	4b VA-174 A7.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	32375 Click image for larger version

Name:	4c VA-174 - Cecil Field.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	32376

Name:	4d A7-E Verification - Validation team 1968.jpg
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	32377
Old 08-03-2021, 05:02 PM   #18

THOR #21131
NAS Miramar, CA – San Diego

As my 4 year tour of shore duty was coming to an end I was looking forward to going to an A7 aircraft squadron for sea duty. Not being on the closed-loop detailing list I was also going to be closely looked at by the F4 aircraft detailer because of my Navy Enlisted Classification number for that aircraft with three years sea duty experience. A billet was open for my rate and rating at VF-151 (F4-N aircraft) home based at NAS Miramar, CA. My orders were issued and 34 days later I reported to VF-151. My first assignment there was as line division supervisor for the plane captains. After carrier qualifications for the pilots and work-ups off the coast of CA aboard our assigned aircraft carrier (USS Midway (CVA-41) we departed for my first deployment (7 months) with that ship/squadron. After a few days at Pearl Harbor – every war ship going to the south China seas got munitions at Pearl Harbor - we departed for our first port of call – Subic Bay, PI. We would get a few days liberty while the ship was replenished and the motor whale boats and “P” boats were off loaded to make more room in the hangar bays. When departing Hawaii I got relieved from the plane captain supervisor billet. A qualified and more senior E6 wanted the billet for the flight deck pay it provided to those that worked the deck full time. I was reassigned to the calendar maintenance (check crew - X/C) branch of the aircraft division where I would be supervisor (it was very rewarding). I kept that billet until I transferred to shore duty.

The tour of sea duty with VF-151 was very arduous. After returning from the first cruise we were supposed to get 6 months turn-around time. The need for attack carriers was at its peak and the CNO ordered us to return with just a 3 month turn-around and off again for 11 months.

We were allowed to take pictures of flight operations and I have some good ones. Unfortunately there is limited room with posting and I can only provide a glimpse.

Name:	5 VF-151 Line Div Super - 1970 - 1971.jpg
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	32504 Click image for larger version

Name:	5a VF-151 Line div super 1971 - 1973.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	32505

Name:	5b VF-151 descriptions.jpg
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	32506 Click image for larger version

Name:	5c Bear interception .jpg
Views:	30
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	32507

Name:	5d from ferry boat - Hong Kong .jpg
Views:	31
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	32508 Click image for larger version

Name:	5e USS Midway 1971 (6).jpg
Views:	23
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	32509

Name:	5f VF-151 Check-bird taken from  01 level shop.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	32510 Click image for larger version

Name:	5g PUC USS Midway - 1973.jpg
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	32511
Old 08-03-2021, 08:41 PM   #19

THOR #1249
Good stories and pics. Wish I had more to share, but am on a trip now and have no access.

Concerning traffic and campgrounds; not sure what is going on, but it seems like half of the US has gone camping this month. Most every campground I have checked with is near full up and down the east coast. I have never seen it like this in 20+ years of camping. Like some others have said; in a couple of years after the camping spree is over may get back to normal. Campgrounds are loving it though.
Old 08-18-2021, 04:12 AM   #20

THOR #21131
Naval Air Station, Lemoore, CA

Well, not being in closed loop detailing got me transferred back to the A7 aircraft (1973-1977). This time it was as a naval instructor for VA-125, the west coast training squadron for A7B aircraft. I got model instructor training at NAS Lemoore, a couple months of instructing led to a more permanent classification as a naval enlisted classification - (NEC) code of 9502 – Navy Instructor. After completing a formal naval instructor course. I got my formal training at Marine Corp Recruit Depot, San Diego, CA.

I instructed the new plain captain program and non-rated non-designated programs for the next 4 years as a stand-up instructor, branch supervisor and division chief. Yup, I finally got promoted to CPO (E7) in 1975. The fast drain down caused by the end of the Vietnam era opened-up a lot of ratings that had nearly been completely closed for about 8 years.

It was a very enjoyable shore tour. The base was self sustaining with schooling to 6th grade, on base new, modern housing. All the essentials were there on base and the flight line was about 7 miles away. The base is so large there were tenant farmers there.

Here are a few pictures including one of our quarters.

Name:	6 VA-125 patch .png
Views:	24
Size:	339.4 KB
ID:	32904 Click image for larger version

Name:	6a NAS LEM1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	32905

Name:	6b VA-125  - 1973 .jpg
Views:	21