Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2017, 04:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Florida
THOR #6899
First Ever Motorcoach!

Looking forward to picking up our new 2017 Four Winds 31W on Monday. Trading in our 2014 5th wheel Crusader and Ram 2500 Truck. Loved both but getting that rig hooked up and ready for the road was getting increasingly more difficult, especially when you get older & dexterity starts to gradually decline - LOL
Last time we took it anywhere I almost knocked myself senseless by walking head on into the king pin! Hopefully I can avoid any more embarrassing situations like that.
However I'm sure we'll find something that doesn't work, or we can't figure out how to make it work, so all you knowledgeable people out there - be prepared for some dumb newbie questions

Old 03-25-2017, 04:34 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by richbam
Looking forward to picking up our new 2017 Four Winds 31W on Monday. Trading in our 2014 5th wheel Crusader and Ram 2500 Truck. Loved both but getting that rig hooked up and ready for the road was getting increasingly more difficult, especially when you get older & dexterity starts to gradually decline - LOL
Last time we took it anywhere I almost knocked myself senseless by walking head on into the king pin! Hopefully I can avoid any more embarrassing situations like that.
However I'm sure we'll find something that doesn't work, or we can't figure out how to make it work, so all you knowledgeable people out there - be prepared for some dumb newbie questions
Congratulations, and welcome.

Yeah I know what a hassle the 5er can become after a while (had ours 10 years). Never hit my head on the kingpin, though, just backed the truck into it once:
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 05:34 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Congratulations, and welcome.

Yeah I know what a hassle the 5er can become after a while (had ours 10 years). Never hit my head on the kingpin, though, just backed the truck into it once:
Ouch!

I saw a guy do the very opposite -- disconnect trailer and drive off without opening tailgate -- with pretty much the same results, just from other side.

Simple is good, and works best for me. A motorhome, particularly without a toad, is about as simple as it gets (that I'm aware of).
Old 03-25-2017, 06:06 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
Ouch!

I saw a guy do the very opposite -- disconnect trailer and drive off without opening tailgate -- with pretty much the same results, just from other side.

Simple is good, and works best for me. A motorhome, particularly without a toad, is about as simple as it gets (that I'm aware of).
Looks worse than it is: Since the tailgate is removable I just left the tailgate with the body shop and they painted up a new one to match (and moved the lock). Just drove the truck for a while with no tailgate.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:45 AM   #5

Model: Four Winds 31E
State: Georgia
THOR #5047
Quote:
Originally Posted by richbam View Post

I have the 31E. Almost identical layout and features but mine has the bunks and smaller fridge. So far, no major issues and we are loving it.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:35 AM   #6

THOR #5585
We just took our first trip with ours. The only problem for me was the winds. Seem to feel them much more with the coach over the 5th wheel.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:09 PM   #7

THOR #6491
Quote:
Originally Posted by richbam View Post

Wow I know how you feel. We traded in also.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:36 PM   #8

State: Arizona
THOR #6443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie1 View Post
Wow I know how you feel. We traded in also.

Enjoy your new ride[emoji41]. Life always puts a pebble in your shoe. Lol
Old 03-26-2017, 09:14 PM   #9

Model: 16 Vegas 24.1 6 sp
State: Washington
THOR #3051
OK, a saying and idea I try to reflect with. Learn from the mistakes of others you cannot make them all yourself. that being said i routinely find things to hit my head on...
Old 03-27-2017, 03:03 AM   #10

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum! We traded in our Dodge diesel and 5th wheel on a 33 foot gas motorhome, then after a few years, downsized to our Vegas 25.2. This fits our travel style and preferences just right.

It is so nice that the coach can keep rolling when the passenger(s) need a pit stop or something from the fridge. Easier to maneuver, even with our car in tow, and easier to spend a night in a store parking lot.

I never hit the headpin with the truck or my head, but I did bean myself more than once, coming up too soon under the front. There's probably a scar there.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:33 PM   #11

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
Welcome. We also sold our 5th wheel (and a slide in truck camper) to make the switch to a Class C. That 50 amp cord was as heavy as me at times. lol
Old 03-28-2017, 12:56 AM   #12

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Congratulations on your new coach and welcome to the forum!!! Hope you have a lot of fun!
Old 03-28-2017, 07:30 AM   #13

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Maryland
THOR #6722
Oh please keep us informed how that went. My wife and I are in the process of preparing to purchase one. Would love to see some pictures! Hope everything goes flawlessly with the preparation and delivery.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:17 PM   #14

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Welcome! We also made the switch from a fiver to driver last year. As someone already said it doesn't handle as good on the road but we are in the process of making some adjustments and modifications that should correct most of that. It certainly is easier to set up at a CG than the fiver was.

Safe travels and I suspect your learning curve won't be too steep.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:12 PM   #15

THOR #6899
Joe,
What mods are you talking about? We just came back from our second trip and it was a particularly windy day, so I was drifting all over the place on the highway. The steering feels real slack to me - nothing like as responsive as I had in my Ram truck. Is there a solution to this?