Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2015, 01:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #2135
Well we Plunged Head First.

Greeting all.

My wife an I just bought (Last Night) a 2015 Thor Vegas 24.1 RUV and take procession this coming Friday afternoon. We think the size and interior plan best fits our needs

If others out there are using this same unit please feel free to let me know your happy and not so happy moments that you have experience while using yours.

A couple general questions for the masses.
While completing paper work last night we were offer several (Piece of Mind) coverage plans. That we need to make final by later today. What are your thoughts on;
Tire Bands?
Extended Warrantees?
Coating and Fabric Protection?

Thanks and have a great day.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:37 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Openroad View Post
Greeting all.

My wife an I just bought (Last Night) a 2015 Thor Vegas 24.1 RUV and take procession this coming Friday afternoon. We think the size and interior plan best fits our needs

If others out there are using this same unit please feel free to let me know your happy and not so happy moments that you have experience while using yours.

A couple general questions for the masses.
While completing paper work last night we were offer several (Piece of Mind) coverage plans. That we need to make final by later today. What are your thoughts on;
Tire Bands?
Extended Warrantees?
Coating and Fabric Protection?

Thanks and have a great day.
First congrats on the purchase.

On the extended warranty, is this a nationally recognized extended warranty or is it one being sold by Camping World (Good Sam Club). My recommendation is to stay away from the CW extended warranty. Other dealers (outside CW) have an extremely hard time getting authorization for repair work.

You do not have to purchase an extended warranty through a dealer and there are numerous options available. One of the first questions you should ask is what is the refund policy if you trade in or sell the unit before the expiration of the extended warranty. If purchased through a dealer option times it is the selling dealer that must purchase the refund request if they had no part in the subsequent sale or purchase.

What are you referring to as Tire Bands?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:50 PM   #3

THOR #2135
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post

On the extended warranty, is this a nationally recognized extended warranty or is it one being sold by Camping World (Good Sam Club). My recommendation is to stay away from the CW extended warranty. Other dealers (outside CW) have an extremely hard time getting authorization for repair work.

You do not have to purchase an extended warranty through a dealer and there are numerous options available. One of the first questions you should ask is what is the refund policy if you trade in or sell the unit before the expiration of the extended warranty. If purchased through a dealer option times it is the selling dealer that must purchase the refund request if they had no part in the subsequent sale or purchase.

We bought ours from Blue Dog RV in Gresham Oregon. My wife is studying the extended warranty's now. Will up date you soon.

On the Tire Bands. What I understand they are metal bands that are place in the grove of the wheel. They are suppose to keep the tire bead from coming off the wheel during a blow out....

Mostly I think it's just anther gimmick...need to study to more.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:21 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Congratulations on your new Vegas.

yeah that Tire Bands sounds like a scam to get more $$ out of you.
Something like this:
Bulldog Direct Protective Systems Inc.: SecureBands Tire Safety Bands:for the RV Market
or this:
http://www2.lazydays.com/financing-i...rotection.html

Interesting products. More "insurance" since you'll likely only need them once--if at all. Note that the coach does come with free road service (since it doesn't have a spare).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:39 AM   #5

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: Maryland
THOR #1899
Tyron Safety Bands

ALL,
For the record they're not a gimmick and they do work. You think you'll be able to stop safely if you have a blow out, but you won't. Tires get very hot and it doesn't take much of a pothole, debris, or bad luck to cause a blown out with a 20,000 lb. plus vehicle (not to mention if you've got a toad). Watch the dash cam video circulating around internet from an 18 wheeler who caught an Class A rollover. I don't have ANY ties to the company, BUT I do manage a fleet of Emergency Vehicles (over 300) and have them installed on the front wheels, and they work. It's a type of insurance for you and the family (not to mention others on the road) and definaately worth considering. NO gimmick at all!!!!!
Old 06-06-2015, 03:42 AM   #6

Model: Miramar 32.1
State: Florida
THOR #611
WHat else to get.

---Extended Warrantees?
---Coating and Fabric Protection?

- I LIKE BOTH AND GOT BOTH THROUGH GOOD SAM AND CAMPING WORLD --
TEUSeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 02:09 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: Texas
THOR #1599
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post

Hey Dave, have you had a bad experience with the Good Sam extended warranty? The local RV service shop I am going to use here in San Antonio, when my 12 month new warranty expires from CW.....told me they find the GS extended warranty one of the easiest warranties to deal with
Old 06-06-2015, 03:04 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytlfamily View Post
Hey Dave, have you had a bad experience with the Good Sam extended warranty? The local RV service shop I am going to use here in San Antonio, when my 12 month new warranty expires from CW.....told me they find the GS extended warranty one of the easiest warranties to deal with
No I do not use the Good Sam extended warranty. I use one of the national warranties (USA Travel Care) not affiliated with GS or Camping World. There are quite a few dealer rebuttals on RV Service Reviews where folks slammed the dealership for slow service and the dealers say the problem was the GS extended warranty not wanting to cover the repairs or only willing to cover repairs in a manner the dealer thought was not appropriate or unsafe.

For info on my extended warranty check out their web site:

USA Travel Care

On my prior coach the extended warranty was Easy Care and I had no problems with them at all.

Although USA Travel Care has some mixed reviews (taken with a grain of salt) they have a few things others plans don't offer. For example if I add a satellite dish, and I have it installed by a factory authorized dealer, it is automatically covered at no additional cost. My policy also covers up to 50.00 for replacement of LPG in the event of a propane leak. My plan also has coverage for HD Televisions (other plans only cover non-HD AV equipment) and unlimited towing.

You need to look at the policy and see what is included and more importantly what is not included and then make a decision.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:33 AM   #9

Model: Vegas
THOR #1838
Instead of tire bands, you might consider a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer. Not only does it help you keep control in a blowout situation, but it greatly improves road handling. Combined with a track bar and sway bar in the rear you will be much happier in side winds and while passing large trucks. I also live in Oregon and found the best place by far to install everything is Henderson's Line Up in Grants Pass. We love our 2015 Vegas even more now.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:40 AM   #10

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Missouri
THOR #1971
bthode,
I have been intrigued by Henderson's Line-up after finding their website a while back. We will be out in Oregon later on this year. I was wondering if you could share some of your experience with them.
  1. Did they recommend anything besides the Safe-T-Plus, Track bar, and rear sway bar for the Axis/Vegas?
  2. How long did it take from Roadtest to having everything installed?
  3. What was the cost of the items and total, if you don't mind sharing?
Thanks
Old 06-07-2015, 11:12 AM   #11

THOR #1971
Congratulations Openroad! Enjoy your new ride.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:59 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 32N
State: Virginia
THOR #2169
Welcome and congrats!

We are new to the RV life as well and have already received some great advice from this forum.

Enjoy you new home away from home!

Jody
Yorktown, VA
2015 Hurricane 32N, 2015 Kia Optima, 2016 Master Tow
wacopolumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:30 PM   #13

THOR #1838
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhog View Post
bthode,
I have been intrigued by Henderson's Line-up after finding their website a while back. We will be out in Oregon later on this year. I was wondering if you could share some of your experience with them.
  1. Did they recommend anything besides the Safe-T-Plus, Track bar, and rear sway bar for the Axis/Vegas?
  2. How long did it take from Roadtest to having everything installed?
  3. What was the cost of the items and total, if you don't mind sharing?
Thanks
roadhog-

Henderson's Line Up did a very thorough diaognistic job to begin the process. They drove out on a 55mph highway and back on a twisting road with dips (I asked if they had designed the road for their test.) Based on the road test, weighing each corner, and tire inspection, they give you a list of suggestions and recommended tire pressures. I asked them to prioritize the list for the maximum benefit for the money. The Safe-T-Plus was the top priority followed by the track bar and sway bar.

Additionally, they recommended Koni shocks, Sumo springs in the front and a beefier front sway bar. I opted to do the top 3 first and see how they worked. Safe-T-Plus was $700, track bar about the same, and sway bar about $700 as well...including installation. The Koni shocks will come later as they would be another $1000. I started at 8:00 am and they were finished by 3:00. Comparing the handling before and after I feel much less swaying in the rear (tail wagging the dog) and driving the Vegas is much easier. They explained that the Safe-T-Plus by itself would be a great improvement for handling and safety, but the wandering rear end effects steering as well. When you see the difference in size from the Ford sway bar to the RoadMaster, you'll see what I mean. I also like the fact that they let you in the shop to watch and ask questions. They even let me down in the "pit" to see the finished installation. Would I do it again??? YES!
Old 06-07-2015, 09:25 PM   #14

THOR #1971
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthode@gmail.com View Post
roadhog-

Henderson's Line Up did a very thorough diaognistic job to begin the process. They drove out on a 55mph highway and back on a twisting road with dips (I asked if they had designed the road for their test.) Based on the road test, weighing each corner, and tire inspection, they give you a list of suggestions and recommended tire pressures. I asked them to prioritize the list for the maximum benefit for the money. The Safe-T-Plus was the top priority followed by the track bar and sway bar.

Additionally, they recommended Koni shocks, Sumo springs in the front and a beefier front sway bar. I opted to do the top 3 first and see how they worked. Safe-T-Plus was $700, track bar about the same, and sway bar about $700 as well...including installation. The Koni shocks will come later as they would be another $1000. I started at 8:00 am and they were finished by 3:00. Comparing the handling before and after I feel much less swaying in the rear (tail wagging the dog) and driving the Vegas is much easier. They explained that the Safe-T-Plus by itself would be a great improvement for handling and safety, but the wandering rear end effects steering as well. When you see the difference in size from the Ford sway bar to the RoadMaster, you'll see what I mean. I also like the fact that they let you in the shop to watch and ask questions. They even let me down in the "pit" to see the finished installation. Would I do it again??? YES!
bthode,

Thanks for the information. I am sure it is of benefit to more than just me. Did your Vegas already have a steering damper on it, and was the Safe-T-Plus a direct replacement for it?
Old 06-07-2015, 10:10 PM   #15

THOR #1838
I think Ford puts one on, but it is pretty ineffective. The nice thing about the Safe-T-Plus is that it keeps you from constantly having to turn the wheel to correct. I was thinking I would spring for the trim feature where you can re-center on the fly by pushing a button on the dash. Turns out that feature is only available if your coach has compressed air. I traded a 36' Beaver for the Vegas (and a new car) and don't miss the compressed air or the $10K in repairs over the last year. It was fun for 9 years, but the Vegas is more fun now. We have been going to a lot more campsites that the Beaver could never fit. I do wish the Vegas had a tighter turning radius however.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:31 PM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthode...
I do wish the Vegas had a tighter turning radius however.
I'm sure the chassis did before it was extended.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:56 PM   #17

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
$.02
My Axis handling annoyed me on it's first trip and my summarized assessment or categorization of the issues were tail wag (not sway) and too much correction effort side to side (a dead center). Additionally I felt the return to center was sluggish. Note that a Safe-T-Plus can mask much of this and while that is sort of ok for the driver the underlying issues that cause the behavior to begin with remain.

Since a Trac Bar should have been on the chassis to begin with (JMO) ... I put that at the top of the list right next to finding a place that has been known to tune alignments specifically for RVs.

My Results: Increased caster to near +6 took care of the dead center and return to center. The trac bar took care of the tail wag (steer from rear). Very happy with how the Axis handles now! Odd enough the Axis now drives a lot like our 2dr JK that handles on the highway better than any previous short WB Jeeps I've driven.

YMMV...