Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-02-2021, 11:58 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger
State: Tennessee
THOR #9145
Wifi

How can I get WIFI in my coach without Dish? Is there a better connection? The RV resorts have an unsecured network. I think I can use my Apple as a hot spot? Kinda new at the WIFI thing... Any help would be appreciated... Thank you in advance..

Old 03-03-2021, 12:57 AM   #2

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Depends on how much you use and what company you want. Get a tablet data plan
Old 03-03-2021, 01:05 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I know an android phone can be a hotspot so I would think an I phone would also have that capability. So tether to your phone via blue tooth.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:08 AM   #4
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
We have AT&T and an IPhone. I do use the phone as a hot spot, but your plan will dictate weather you can or not. It can be added for an added cost.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:42 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004V10F53 View Post
How can I get WIFI in my coach without Dish? Is there a better connection? The RV resorts have an unsecured network. I think I can use my Apple as a hot spot? Kinda new at the WIFI thing... Any help would be appreciated... Thank you in advance..
I think the premise of your question is flawed.

I think you are asking; How can I get Internet in my coach?

There are 4 ways to get connected to the Internet:

Using an Ethernet patch cable connected to the Power/Water/Cable/Internet pole at your camp site - not common.

Use a satellite Internet Service such as Hughes or the up coming Starlink - this requires a dish but again, is not common.

Using a cell provider to connect you to the Internet via cell towers. This can be done using your phone, a cellular modem, or a specialized device - this is the most common for those that are independent or spend most of their RV time NOT in a campground.

Connecting to the campground's (or other "open" network like McDonalds) WIFI network. Don't confuse this with cellular access, this is the same type of WIFI you would have in your home - the difference is it is usually only fast enough to check email or only surf the Web slowly - it is not fast enough to stream video. It normally requires a password provided by the campground in order for you to connect.

The first 3 methods can provide WIFI to multiple devices in your coach via a wireless router or WIFI Hotspot. Your phone may have the capability to act as a Hotspot.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:58 AM   #6

Model: Freedom Traveler a27
State: South Carolina
THOR #22405
We use our hotspot off our IPhones at times its faster then campsite .
Old 03-03-2021, 02:41 AM   #7

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Use your phone or get an independent hot spot.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:33 AM   #8

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Besides using your phone for a HotSpot, you can install a Winegard Connect 2. You can use it as a HotSpot with AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and a couple other services that offer data only plans.

https://winegard.com/products/cellul.../connect-2-4g2

This can work better than your phone as a HotSpot because it has a much better antenna system (and also mounted on the roof) and can pick up weaker cell signals than your phone. You then connect to it via Wifi with your phone, tablet, laptop, etc. and it provides good coverage inside and around the outside of your coach with it's own private WiFi connection.

It can also be used to connect to the campground WiFi and provide better converage if / when you want to use it (such as when there is no cellular coverage in the area).
Old 03-03-2021, 01:28 PM   #9

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Verizon also carries a JetPack that you can subscribe to to get WiFi. It is easy and runs about $20.00 month.

Paul
Old 03-03-2021, 06:46 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
I miss my unlimited ATT in my WineGard!! Got my little 15 gig Verizon sim now so boss lady can do here email work.

Can't wait for StarLink!

You can just get a cheap wife router and just connect to the RV Park's net and have your SID setup for all your devices in your rig.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:38 PM   #11

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy1111 View Post
You can just get a cheap wife router ...
Oh man... I really need one of those!
Old 03-13-2021, 07:22 PM   #12

Model: 25.4
THOR #7440
Depends on what you want to use the wifi for, using the phone or tablet for a hot spot and trying to watch TV will not work well as it will always want to buffer, I picked up the MIFI Jet Pack from Verizon an use it for the TV with the fire stick and also on my lap top, at the time Verizon had two choices, one was the budget one at $100.00 an a $17.00 monthly use fee, the up grade was a $200.00 unit with the same monthly use fee and now they have one for $400.00 an not sure what the use fee is, I got the unlimited plan but its not really unlimited as you are allotted so much data a month, not sure if this newer one will be unlimited with limited data, typical bait an switch when you make the purchase, so make sure you ask if you go that route
Old 03-13-2021, 08:01 PM   #13

Model: Venetian M37
State: Texas
THOR #10920
16ACE27

Thanks for your very specific answer. Always good to have replies from folks that know how things work.
Old 03-13-2021, 08:05 PM   #14

Model: RW28
THOR #12200
Traveling with your own Wifi

We use T-mobile Hot Spot but not on our phones, it is a Sim Card in a dedicated Wi-Fi Router and have 2 smart TVs, our Laptop and 2 phones connected to the Router and it works well in MOST of the USA, but not everywhere, don't expect good service at the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone or Glacier NPs and some of those way out of the way areas.

We purchased an IBR900 Router through Amazon, with a built in modem, the same kind used in many Fire Departments, then went to T-Mobile and purchased our Mobile Hot Spot Sim Card, 100 GB of data per month for $55 on the Military Plan. AT&T has something very similar. There are a couple of other companies who set these thing up for you if you are not sure if you want to keep the plan, Nomad Wireless and Bix Wireless are 2 but they are not cheap either.

Just an FYI.
Old 03-13-2021, 08:19 PM   #15

State: Arizona
THOR #14355
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004V10F53 View Post
We use our Verizon hotspot on our iPhones. We also use the Verizon MiFi which gives us 30gb per month.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:01 PM   #16

State: Minnesota
THOR #20429
This is a very timely question. Last summer we spend a month in Minnesota with an older (2010) RV. The two campgrounds had terrible WiFi coverage so I had to use a mobile cellphone hotspot which work fine but cost me $300 for data overcharges.

For 2021 we have a have a new 2021 RV that has a Winegard system. But, what good will it do if the RV park has crappy WiFi.

Couple of points worth noting; be careful of the window tint -- if your RV has it. Some types can block a WiFi and mobile signal.

I am looking at the T-Mobile streaming device a $60 a month. It's nothing more than a hotspot but comes iwth its own SIM card. With no data caps it might be the thing for my next two month visit to Minnesota.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:22 PM   #17

State: North Carolina
THOR #18636
Cool Do some research

This is what I did. In the past all the other answers presented could prove useful. It all depends on WHAT you want the connectivity for. If you just checking the occasional email, those could work.
But if you want a no holds barred, my connection is my life (ie: remote work) internet connectivity, what you want is probably a "mesh" network. This is what I got, it's called WiFiRanger Converge. The unit combines the best of WiFi and cellular connections into a single unit. It mounts on the roof and feeds an ethernet connector and a power lead down into the RV. The ethernet connects to a special router and from there powers all your wifi connections.
A bit pricey ($600), but if your livelihood depends on that connection, its priceless!
Old 03-14-2021, 01:30 AM   #18

Model: ACE 32.3
State: Washington
THOR #20331
We have great success using our Winegard with a Verizon SIM card. Verizon charges us @$20/mo.
Old 03-14-2021, 02:02 AM   #19

State: New York
THOR #21937
Dual SIM router

I bought this specific router
https://www.amazon.com/Teltonika-RUT.../dp/B00TKFKLCI

It takes dual SIM cards, so you can get set up with two different cell phone carriers. It's auto-switching so if there is no signal from one carrier, it will use the other. If you get signal from both carriers, it can be configured to use both and double your speed. It comes with its own small antennae, but can also be hooked up to much larger outside-mounted antennae.

Having two different carriers increases the likelihood that you always have a signal. It should be the rare place you go that neither SIM can get a signal. Especially if using outside-mounted antennae.
JeffThor325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 02:17 AM   #20

Brand: Heartland
Model: 2018 Big Country
State: Missouri
THOR #70
I have a jetpack. It is worthless. With nothing on but my phone, it used my 15 Gig in 3 days. Not watching TV or videos. Verizon tried to upset me the unlimited 30 Gig package. I already have unlimited phone. This is to expensive.220.00 a month is ridiculous.