Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2020, 04:48 PM   #1

State: Alaska
THOR #18464
XG32 vs. 28SS

Restarting this thread with a useful title. Hoping to make a decision from someone more informed than I on the Thor Magnitude XG32 versus the Dynamax Isata 28SS w/ the explorer package.

New to the RV community.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:20 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: FourWinds SK 35
State: Virginia
THOR #4706
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Greenhorn View Post
Restarting this thread with a useful title. Hoping to make a decision from someone more informed than I on the Thor Magnitude XG32 versus the Dynamax Isata 28SS w/ the explorer package.

New to the RV community.

Any help is appreciated.

I have a 2017 35 sk four winds it has f550 chassis. The wife and I really enjoy this rv. It towed our well like nothing there. As far as problems a few cosmetic things that were easy to fix. I contacted Thor when I needed something and they were always friendly and send direct to me. They have always been helpful. Of coarser I am out of warranty now but if I needed anything I would call them first.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:36 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I, thankfully, have no experience with the ISATA. We drove 300 miles to see one.
That Chuck Jones styled overhead cap was the silliest, damndest view restricting thing we had ever encountered. Sitting in the drivers seat we had all the view of a prison cell window.

We opted to add 4x4 to an AXIS.
It has a Ford warranty, and I got to choose the rv of MY choice and not SETTLE for that Isata overhead cap.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 02:21 AM   #4

State: Alaska
THOR #18464
When you say AXIS do you mean the Thor AXIS Class A?
Old 04-16-2020, 03:29 PM   #5

State: South Carolina
THOR #13982
We have the 35 sk. I like the 28ss with the lithium batteries, and solar nice option. And those rear compartments are perfect Size. But the interior lay out not so much. The location of the front tv, even though it tilts out I think would be hard to see.
Now the xg 32, interior perfect layout with the tv over the dinnet, with the seating right across, good idea. I also like how they let the outside lighting in with all those windows on the front bunk overhang. As long as they don't leak. But for some reason they don't have the good exterior storage in the rear compartments.
Just my 2 cents
Ed
Old 04-17-2020, 02:25 AM   #6

Model: Omni XG32
State: California
THOR #18499
The 28ss it's set up for dry camping and as stated above, the layout is cramped but it has some really nice features like the lithium batteries, exterior storage, solar, good charge controller, and overall good components.

The XG32 is designed to be plugged in. The batteries only support the refrigerator for 3-4 hours, the charger takes 16 hours to fully charge the undersized batteries, etc.. The layout is great and the cabover windows provide a ton of light and great views.

I went with the better layout knowing I would be changing the batteries, charge controller, inverter charger and adding solar. Basically making it capable for dry camping that I do.

Good luck on your hunt.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:53 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Greenhorn View Post

New to the RV community.

Any help is appreciated.

Are you looking at the 4X4 option? Since you’re from Alaska I was curious how you plan on using the motorhome? Will you be going off-road, camping in sub-freezing temperatures, how will you store it in winter, etc.?

I personally like the smaller size and also the simpler floorplan of the 28SS a lot better, but I haven’t looked at these kinds of motorhomes closely because they are both too large for my needs. The Xplorer package sounds great, but like most things I’d do a lot of research to make sure it works for your needs. Devil is in the details. Features like solar may be great, but perhaps not as useful in Alaska. And are you able and willing to get on roof to clean panels? Those are details only you can answer.

In general (regardless of size) there are design features of the XG32 I would personally avoid, particularly if planning to drive it off road. Realistically, ground clearance and long rear overhang are so poor on both that I wouldn’t wonder too far from pavement, particularly with the larger XG32.
Old 04-17-2020, 02:34 PM   #8

THOR #18499
Like Chance said both of these are too large for serious off road and you need to check them out in person. People assume too much by looking at one number instead of all the numbers. I tried to attach a pdf of a small comparison chart I did. i.e. The XG32 has a longer overhang but it has a better departure angle due to the rear end being much higher off the ground and the entire rear end is angled up toward the back. If the chart is attached you'll notice the XG32 wasn't even in the running (no color codes) until I went in person and checked out all 4 RV's (Dynamax 28ss & 30Fw, Renegade 35 and the Omni XG32).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SUPER C 4x4 COMPARISON-Sheet 1.pdf (64.0 KB, 194 views)
Old 04-17-2020, 03:29 PM   #9

THOR #18499
One final thought. Living and using the RV in Alaska, the 28ss is the best bet straight out of the box without having to upgrade the systems if you mostly dry camp. The Dynamax has better quality systems and is better insulated. Plus it only has one small slide-out. Slide-outs have less insulation. If you are going to be plugged in then go with the unit you feel the most comfortable in. Enjoy the journey