Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > Cruiser RV
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2018, 03:22 AM   #1

Brand: Cruiser
State: Oklahoma
THOR #13592
How the heck do you turn off the hot water heater

Hey All;
I have a 20218 radiance 29QD and can't figure out how to turn of the hot water heater.
On the electric side is on, off and the propane is on. What if I don't want electric or propane. Any ideas, if so can you let me know.
Thanks in advance.
Bob

Old 11-05-2018, 03:38 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Don't know about your RV, can't even find it on the interweb, but there is usually a separate switch to turn on the propane for the water heater.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:45 AM   #3

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
If it's like mine I have 2 switches one is on/off electric the other is on/off for gas and then a master gas valve switch as long as the 2 switches for electric and gas are off it should be shut down.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:03 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Well I found a 28QD as as you enter the trailer on the left is the control panel with the switch for turning off the gas portion of the water heater. I imagine like most trailers the electric portion is behind the external panel on the water heater itself.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:32 AM   #5

State: Oklahoma
THOR #13592
THANK YOU!! My switch is in the hot water heater, its kinda hidden. My other trailer had both elec and propane on the control panel in the trailer. I think the switch in the hot water heater is dumb.
Old 12-30-2019, 04:07 PM   #6

Model: 2750BH
State: New Hampshire
THOR #17687
I wish the electric switch was in the front panel, just another little annoyance
Old 12-30-2019, 06:58 PM   #7

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2194 View Post
THANK YOU!! My switch is in the hot water heater, its kinda hidden. My other trailer had both elec and propane on the control panel in the trailer. I think the switch in the hot water heater is dumb.
The switch 120 volt switch is outside for safety. It is to be sure you do not drain the water with the element on. You can always turn off the 120 volt breaker. The gas switch is someplace inside in an obvious location.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:49 PM   #8

Model: 2750BH
State: New Hampshire
THOR #17687
I decided to wire in a Relay from a Atwood water heater, It will control the AC to the water heater via the 12vdc switch panel.

PN is 93849 for the relay if anyone else is interested.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:47 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2194 View Post
I just did the opposite and was proud of myself for inventing my own mod. I have gas only heater. The factory switch is inside as you prefer and works great. However, when I drain the 6 gallon tank to winterize, what happens if someone mistakenly flips the switch inside to on? Surely there is some other way outside to turn off to ensure the igniters don't ignite the gas? It was not, that I thought was dumb!!! So I bought a switch from ACE Hardware and effectively put my own switch on the ground; so I can disable from outside. I think we would agree that both switches would be ideal or best case.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:18 PM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I just did the opposite and was proud of myself for inventing my own mod. I have gas only heater. The factory switch is inside as you prefer and works great. However, when I drain the 6 gallon tank to winterize, what happens if someone mistakenly flips the switch inside to on? Surely there is some other way outside to turn off to ensure the igniters don't ignite the gas? It was not, that I thought was dumb!!! So I bought a switch from ACE Hardware and effectively put my own switch on the ground; so I can disable from outside. I think we would agree that both switches would be ideal or best case.

I just turn off the gas at the tank. Can’t ignite what isn’t there!
Old 01-23-2020, 09:59 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I just turn off the gas at the tank. Can’t ignite what isn’t there!
And render my refrigerator confined to electric only Isn't the beer colder when cooled by a gas source of energy over electric.

You know that is a simple solution that I never thought about Oh well, now I have my own switch that I am proud of. It was my first mod that I did all by myself

Incidentally I had a Winnebago dealer local to Dallas tell me not to worry about winterizing unless it is going to get down to like 27 for a few days. They added that if you do winterize; if you do not blow it out, you are just wasting your time. Note: They only said that when it was clear to them that I was DIY'er & would not pay them winterize anyway :-)

So for last few weeks, I have my new switch on outside on, and factory switch on inside off. But if I ever need it, I can go outside and flip the switch off; so it will not even try to ignite. I also have water bottles in heater and wet bay compartment to see when and if they ever freeze. Thus no matter how cold they have not.

FWIW; I have rotated that picture over and over; but will not upload to site correctly. I was told it was a known issue, but sure wish I could fix myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191213_151944_001.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	22305  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote