Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > Cruiser RV
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2022, 01:47 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ontario
THOR #26012
Looking to buy a shadow cruiser

I've heard some mixed stuff about shadow cruiser like leaking problems and such looking to buy one either a 280qbs or a 260bhs can somebody let me know if they have experienced any issues

Old 02-17-2022, 02:49 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
SOME people will always experience problems with any RV, it's the luck of the draw. Some will have absolutely no problems. Do a thorough inspection before purchasing with an experienced RV inspector, even if the RV is new.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 06:47 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Oddly, the ONLY issue we had with our new 2020 24F was self-inflicted water damage when a storage compartment wasn't fully closed on the dealer lot. They replaced the bed platform and associated trim, and all was well. I think units now being pushed out the door with missing parts is a bigger issue... like taking delivery of a car without a back seat and air conditioner.
Old 02-17-2022, 06:55 PM   #4

THOR #26012
Would I be able to tow this with a discovery 5 with a 7700 pound tow capacity because I know of somebody who tows something pretty similar to this in size and weight with a disco 5.
Old 02-17-2022, 07:13 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
That's a LOT of weight behind an SUV. Me? I pulled our little 22' Grand Design with an F-150. Anything bigger than that I would have gone up to a 3/4 ton truck. Again, just my opinion - but I wouldn't try to pull any travel trailer more than a single axle with an SUV... even though people do it. But I've seen trailers hitched to 45' 5ers being pulled with 3/4 ton trucks...
Old 02-18-2022, 12:06 AM   #6
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_LR View Post
Would I be able to tow this with a discovery 5 with a 7700 pound tow capacity because I know of somebody who tows something pretty similar to this in size and weight with a disco 5.
Well that's a firm MAYBE.

The trailer GVWR and the Discovery 5 "Towing capacity" are pretty well matched but you also have to look at the curb weight vs GVWR. If the trailer is fully loaded it will have close to or over a 1000 lb tongue weight.

Add that to the curb weight of 5000 lbs you are now at 6000+ lbs on the discovery before you add people, equipment and gas. You could easily exceed the GVWR of the towing vehicle. Look at your numbers closely.

The 115" wheelbase is quite a bit shorter than most 1/2 ton pickups at about 140" so it will be more of a handful while towing and why a lot of people steer away from SUVs for towing larger travel trailers.
Old 02-18-2022, 01:42 AM   #7

THOR #26012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Well that's a firm MAYBE.

The trailer GVWR and the Discovery 5 "Towing capacity" are pretty well matched but you also have to look at the curb weight vs GVWR. If the trailer is fully loaded it will have close to or over a 1000 lb tongue weight.

Add that to the curb weight of 5000 lbs you are now at 6000+ lbs on the discovery before you add people, equipment and gas. You could easily exceed the GVWR of the towing vehicle. Look at your numbers closely.

The 115" wheelbase is quite a bit shorter than most 1/2 ton pickups at about 140" so it will be more of a handful while towing and why a lot of people steer away from SUVs for towing larger travel trailers.
the GVWR of the disco is about 14k lbs they are towing champs I'm pretty sure they'll be able to and rarely ill be carrying a full load on the trailer
Old 02-18-2022, 02:31 AM   #8

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
SOME people will always experience problems with any RV, it's the luck of the draw. Some will have absolutely no problems. Do a thorough inspection before purchasing with an experienced RV inspector, even if the RV is new.
Good advice.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 03:16 AM   #9
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
the GVWR of the disco is about 14k lbs they are towing champs I'm pretty sure they'll be able to and rarely ill be carrying a full load on the trailer
Don't confuse GVWR of the tow vehicle (6900 lbs) with
the GCWR of the tow vehicle plus the towed vehicle; which is your "14k lbs" number.
Old 02-18-2022, 01:43 PM   #10

THOR #26012
Quote:
Don't confuse GVWR of the tow vehicle (6900 lbs) with
the GCWR of the tow vehicle plus the towed vehicle; which is your "14k lbs" number.
Yea that's what I meant but I think I should be fine ima go inspect it because I think I should be fine towing it because its pretty much under my tow rating and ill never carry a full load its only 4 of us and a less than 8000lbs loaded trailer.
Old 02-18-2022, 02:48 PM   #11

THOR #26012
Quote:
Yea that's what I meant but I think I should be fine ima go inspect it because I think I should be fine towing it because its pretty much under my tow rating and ill never carry a full load its only 4 of us and a less than 8000lbs loaded trailer.
And one more question will it have an enclosed undebelly