Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owner Classifieds Buy | Sell |Trade
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2020, 05:28 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Pete,
Thanks for your post.
I'm happy to know my research was confirmed by your real world experience.
I can't think of a better, easier to follow or more truthful scenario than your six speed, five speed, six speed, with and without tuner, testimonial.

I think, thanks to you and Beau, the decisions can be put to rest by anyone who values experience.

But.

One of the really great engineers on this site detailed a seldom reached adjustment Ford does to the v10 programming:
He said; if you can possibly go wide open throttle for 60 seconds, a whole new command set is reached.
I was able to accomplish this only once, up hill of Lukachukai Arizona. The road is so twisty and so steep I thought I'd have to reach for 4wd low(I don't have 2wd low) .
Floored for about 70 seconds, the incredible ROAR and the turbo lag type boost was astonishing. I went from a struggling 8mph floored to 22mph so quickly it startled me and I let off the throttle before I realized what was happening.

Reprogram THAT to a 5 second delay instead of a 60 second delay, and I'll buy a tuner(a tuner is on the list solely for this, the only reason I can find to consider one on a six speed v10).
I can't duplicate the 60 second throttle thing. The little 24.1 is too quick causing the speeds to get too high and I haven't found since, a hill as miserable to keep my speed down.

I followed that interesting thread as well and I too experienced the 60 second throttle thing on a long western grade in Wyoming. For reasons unknown to me Ford delays added enrichment at wide open throttle for 60 seconds which apparently leaves the engine running way to lean during that lag. Maybe it’s a fuel economy thing. If so I’d be happy to suffer the decreased mileage for improved climbing power. But living in Indiana I rarely drive in serious mountains so I didn’t make it a priority. I’d assume 5 Star could program it as you say and there must be some reason they don’t do so in their standard tune. I suppose it’s the same reason Ford doesn’t. Ultimately I am reluctant to assume that I am wiser than engineers who make a living with this sort of thing. I’m keeping my 6 speed stock!

Old 01-03-2020, 05:45 PM   #22

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
0An aside since this has pretty much run its course.

I have a 2004, 8.1L/496ci, 3/4ton avalanche. I've had it since 2004. 67,000 miles.
Bought with 17,000 miles, I paid less than half for it, much like an rv devalues.

It has two gas tanks and a simple 'y' in the filler tube. One of the tanks is only six+ gallons.
This is due to a regulation requiring a certain mile range and there being no room for a larger tank.
The punchline is sometimes engineers have to do wild things for wild reasons.

I took it to blackbear tuning for a personal, not canned, tune by the owner.
I picked up 3.5mpg and a Squat load of torque and hp and now have a downshift on deceleration. There's quite a bit more hp available, but I need to change injector size to get it.
Contrarily, he said I'd be wasting my time on the 5.3 avalanche we also had, because like the Ford V10, engineering had maxed it out to within a small percentage, in stock form.
The owner turned down my easy $450 for what amounts to a 50 minute drive on freeways and surface streets.

Punchline
Not all tuner stories apply to all engine types and programs.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:17 PM   #23

Model: 37gt Challenger
State: Arkansas
THOR #12432
I have a 2014 challenger 37gt and installed 5 tune last year. Main difference I noticed was a bit more power when on the highway and better shift points ( less lag and more responsive )going up and down hills. I don't tow.

I would buy again.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:29 PM   #24

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfigs View Post
Looking for a 5 star tune for 2018 Ford F53 6 speed chassis.

Please PM me.

Thanks.

View this ad at Thor Classifieds - 5 star tune f53 6 speed
DOnt ned it for 6 speed. Ford has it tunes just right. don't mess with it.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:20 PM   #25
Pax

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Ohio
THOR #7964
I liked it

I have the 5star tune on my 2018 Hurricane 34J. The biggest difference is how much better the part throttle is. The transmission didn't wait until it had to down shift 3 gears, it would drop one at a time as the load increased. I also noticed it was easier to get up to 60 on freeway on ramps. There is no such thing as fuel economy when you are pushing a giant brick at 60...lol.

I think it was worth the money in my experience.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:35 PM   #26

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
Thanks for the feedback fellas.

Even a slight gain is better than no gain.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:37 PM   #27

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgorski View Post
DOnt ned it for 6 speed. Ford has it tunes just right. don't mess with it.
That would be true if FORD transmission engineers knew how MorRyde was going to modify the FORD chassis for the house manufacturers and knew what size and weight house the coach manufacturers were going to put onto the MorRyde modified FORD chassis.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:13 PM   #28

Model: Windsport 32R
State: South Carolina
THOR #17209
Red face ReTune for F53

I have no experience with 5 star. I have a 32 foot class A with the Workhorse chassis which is a stroked out 454 to 496 cubes. I needed more oomph for the mountains. When I checked around, I could buy an engine rebuild kit for $5K from Banks and doa lot of work to rebuild an engine that I can't get at.

I found an outfit called Ultra RV Products. I bought a new ECU for about $500. The claims were pretty good. What I got was what I figure is another 25 HP and about the same increase in torque. What I love is that the engine runs better and starts better and my gas mileage went from 7 way up to 8.5 to 9 in the low country (Flat) and about 7.5 - 8 in the mountains. Last
I got 9.4 mpg from Southern Virginia to Myrtle Beach which is all flat and level. For the money, I saved about the cost of the unit EVERY YEAR in gas!!
Check them out. They have units for the V10 as well. My rig has the Allison tranny and they have a new computer for that as well for $100. It changes the shift points but I did not opt for that.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:21 PM   #29

THOR #2025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
That would be true if FORD transmission engineers knew how MorRyde was going to modify the FORD chassis for the house manufacturers and knew what size and weight house the coach manufacturers were going to put onto the MorRyde modified FORD chassis.
Great point.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:22 PM   #30

THOR #2025
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLeenhouts View Post
I have no experience with 5 star. I have a 32 foot class A with the Workhorse chassis which is a stroked out 454 to 496 cubes. I needed more oomph for the mountains. When I checked around, I could buy an engine rebuild kit for $5K from Banks and doa lot of work to rebuild an engine that I can't get at.

I found an outfit called Ultra RV Products. I bought a new ECU for about $500. The claims were pretty good. What I got was what I figure is another 25 HP and about the same increase in torque. What I love is that the engine runs better and starts better and my gas mileage went from 7 way up to 8.5 to 9 in the low country (Flat) and about 7.5 - 8 in the mountains. Last
I got 9.4 mpg from Southern Virginia to Myrtle Beach which is all flat and level. For the money, I saved about the cost of the unit EVERY YEAR in gas!!
Check them out. They have units for the V10 as well. My rig has the Allison tranny and they have a new computer for that as well for $100. It changes the shift points but I did not opt for that.
Nice feedback. Thanks for this insight.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:29 PM   #31

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfigs View Post
Nice feedback. Thanks for this insight.
If it's not a Ford v10, it's not relevant.
I gave two examples of Chevy tuners above.
It was nice to read and well thought out, but it isn't a Ford V10 six speed.

Contact the company for sure. I'm sure they do nice work, and they might have some edge over five star. Five Star is great and hard to beat, a call wouldn't hurt.

Do not use his example as an expected Ford v10 outcome.