Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 03:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24FE
State: Michigan
THOR #17140
Unhappy how to return for refund

Okay All, I'm a Thor motorhome owner. We bought a new 24FE, and an extended warranty. We have had water leaks while traveling and now the slide sticks, I have to go outside and push while Mrs holds the button. The MH also has various other problems. I didn't think a new one would be like this. New cars and new boats aren't like this. I'd prefer to return it for a refund or exchange it for one without defects. We put 7500 miles on it, and traveling with it is a hassle, not fun. Not what I planned for retirement. Any suggestions as to how to get the dealer to take it back, I would be grateful. LSG

Old 11-12-2019, 03:16 PM   #2

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateSixtiesGuy View Post
Okay All, I'm a Thor motorhome owner. We bought a new 24FE, and an extended warranty. We have had water leaks while traveling and now the slide sticks, I have to go outside and push while Mrs holds the button. The MH also has various other problems. I didn't think a new one would be like this. New cars and new boats aren't like this. I'd prefer to return it for a refund or exchange it for one without defects. We put 7500 miles on it, and traveling with it is a hassle, not fun. Not what I planned for retirement. Any suggestions as to how to get the dealer to take it back, I would be grateful. LSG
That ain't gonna happen. No lemon laws on RV's. All you can do is take it back to the dealer and make the payments on it while it sits on their lot waiting to be fixed. There is no quality from any RV builder.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:30 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Sadly: I have to agree...
Take it back to the Dealer, and INSIST that they address all of the issues.
Good luck: please let us know how this works out for you.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:33 PM   #4

THOR #17140
Unhappy Magnuson Act doesn't help us ?

Cavie, it is at the dealership now. I am not making payments, I paid for it ( in full ) when I picked it up. Perhaps that was not a wise choice. If one were making payments, you could just stop paying. Would give one more leverage. Nice to know, but I doubt I will ever buy another one. LSG
Old 11-12-2019, 03:38 PM   #5

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Cavie, it is at the dealership now. I am not making payments, I paid for it ( in full ) when I picked it up. Perhaps that was not a wise choice. If one were making payments, you could just stop paying. Would give one more leverage. Nice to know, but I doubt I will ever buy another one. LSG
You really really need to get some common advice.
Giving back a vehicle with 7500 miles, without MAJOR financial loss isn't a thought most people have.
(there are lemon laws on motor homes and a member posted his path to action on this as proof. Consult someone you trust, then consult an attorney. It's a safe bet that It will require an attorney)

Thinking not paying the bank does anything other than ruin your credit and rack up REPOSSESSION expenses isn't any sort of rational thought.

Please consult a trusted relative and a trusted counselor.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:43 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Have you sent Thor a letter notifying them of the issues. If you read your warranty there should be a section on what Thor will do to remedy repeated problems or problems taking longer than 21 days to repair. It all starts, however, with a letter sent (not a phone call or email) to the address listed in the warranty.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
Old 11-12-2019, 03:49 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Would it be possible for you to contact Thor, and see about taking it to their Wakarusa facility?
They have an excellent reputation for making things right.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:23 PM   #8

Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
"just stop making payments" Some of the worse advice I've seen in a while. The manuf. nor dealer finance units. The bank doesn't care what kind of problems you are having. You will ruin your credit and have substantial legal fees. You WILL lose!

Bill
Old 11-12-2019, 04:24 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Yup... I agree...
Old 11-12-2019, 04:31 PM   #10

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
OK,
At my risk of hearing from moderator:

This thread shouldn't be about contacting Thor or courses of action regarding the MotorHome.

I often read the spaces between the typed words. It gets me in a modicum of trouble here.

The op spaces tell me the op might not be exactly worldly, or has lost their worldlyness.

The question asked and the scenario the op wished about the bank...
I think we might want to take a tack of :
Get someone personally involved in this QUICKLY.

A call to Thor, a slightly unscrupulous dealer... I can conjure/see a trade in scenario possible, and a world class loss of tax and license and depreciation... And another MotorHome...and another wish....

I'd take the risk to tell a friend this same stuff LOUDLY, I'll risk a moderator butt-chewing for this guy.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:46 PM   #11

THOR #17140
Unhappy what ?

Duck, what major financial loss ? I am pursueing a refund. That fact that the dealer and / or Thor loses money is not my problem. I paid for a new machine, I expect it to function. I bought a new car, it was fine. I bought a 105 yr old house, and it worked pretty well. I expected better from Thor. If I had known 'Thor quality' was a joke, I would not have purchased. I feel as if I have been tricked. Is that not fraudulent action on the part of the dealer ? Whats this letter to Thor I am supposed to write ? LSG

Re; payments. If you are financed at a bank, it wouldn't help you to stop paying. The dealer offered to finance me, but I paid cash. perhaps that was not the best way to go. And, I don't need or care about the credit, I don't like paying interest, so if I cannot pay for something, I won't buy it.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:10 PM   #12

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Duck, what major financial loss ? I am pursueing a refund. That fact that the dealer and / or Thor loses money is not my problem. I paid for a new machine, I expect it to function. I bought a new car, it was fine. I bought a 105 yr old house, and it worked pretty well. I expected better from Thor. If I had known 'Thor quality' was a joke, I would not have purchased. I feel as if I have been tricked. Is that not fraudulent action on the part of the dealer ? Whats this letter to Thor I am supposed to write ? LSG

Re; payments. If you are financed at a bank, it wouldn't help you to stop paying. The dealer offered to finance me, but I paid cash. perhaps that was not the best way to go. And, I don't need or care about the credit, I don't like paying interest, so if I cannot pay for something, I won't buy it.
It is not just a Thor problem. It is an industry RV problem and they don't care. There is a very long line of people who do not research before they buy.
Every manufacturer has all the same problems as the next. There is NO Quality control.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:11 PM   #13

Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
Still a defective statement. The dealer did not offer to finance you.... He offered to connect you with a lender.... This is NOT a buy here pay here business.

Bill
Old 11-12-2019, 05:28 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Latesixties...
Believe it or not: I fully under your frustration over this mess...
But there are also some realities at play here, that I think you may not have been fully aware of...
1. A motorhome is about like a house that is being subjected to constant earthquakes; while it's been driven down even the smoothest roads...
Stuff will shake loose, and rattle apart. Keeping after all of this can often be a major part of RV ownership.

2. Cavie mentioned that this is an industry-wide issue, and he ain't wrong... It's rare for anyone to take off on a "shakedown cruise" in one, and not see them come home with at least a couple of issues that need attention.

3. You'll need to check with your State's Attorney General, and ask them if Lemon Laws apply to Motorhomes. Some states do apply them: a lot don't.
But it's certainly worth the research.

4. Keep in mind that these rigs can be fixed. It just takes some time, and may a headache or two: in order to get through it. But if you can be patient: the results will be worth it.

5. Thor's Wakarusa service facility is always worth a bit of research. Call Thor, and make some inquiries about them.

I certainly wish you nothing but the best of luck in getting things made right!
Old 11-12-2019, 05:49 PM   #15

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
You have options, what do you want

You couldn't return a car with 7500 miles on it, you can't return your Coach. But you can get the problems fixed. Lemon laws require you keep records of multiple attempts to repair within a certain time frame, they are a last resort measure for genuinely non-fixable problems--as an attorney (and an engineer), I rarely recommend that folks go right to that law, but rather that they identify what they want as an acceptable and reasonable outcome. So, you clearly have issues, the question becomes whether you want to get the issues fixed or whether you want to take a hit and trade in your coach for another one.
To get it fixed I recommend dumping your dealer and either finding an independent who will take Thor warranty claims, or going to Thor at Wakarusa. Finding an independent who will work with Thor warranty is hard now because Thor has a crappy reputation for paying independents so most won't work with Thor anymore. But Thor may be able to help you by referring you to an independent that it works with near you. The BEST solution is to make an appointment with Thor for repairs at Wakarusa--they have a sound reputation and know their rigs. Since you already are in Michigan, going to Indiana to get repairs done right the first time is not an unreasonable journey.
I agree that you should not have to deal with aggravations and repairs. On this forum we share your pain. Because we enjoy using our rigs we want you to be able to enjoy yours. Keep us posted.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:18 PM   #16

THOR #17140
Unhappy motorhome

Bob et al, I will definately check with the AG and see how does Magnuson - Moss work in Michigan. The MH is at the dealer now, he offered for me to trade it in as used, I refused immediately. I bought a brand new machine, expected it to work, and expect them to give me refund or a new coach. The dealer is on the hook here I believe.
Yes, I have learned that RV quality is exceptionally poor. If I had known they were like this, I never would have bought one. I used to work for Slikcraft / Tiara, and we made boats that cost as much or more than these MHs. The factory had a large pool and before the boat left the plant we tested EVERYTHING. If something was wrong, it was fixed before it left the plant. Mr Slikkers insisted upon good quality stuff, his name was on the boat. Apparently, none of the RV makers have this attitude. I have spoken in campgrounds to people who spent 3 or 4 times what I did, Class A diesel pushers, and they have the same troubles.
The big show stopper issue is the slide. We have been parked with the slide in, and parked with the slide out, and had heavy rains. No trouble. But when DRIVEN in the rain, we had standing water on the floor when we stopped and put the slide out. The Mrs' purse, on the floor behind the pilot seat, was soaked. It was after the water incident that we began to have trouble with the slide. We fear that the slide is waterlogged or the wall is water damaged. It may well have to go back to the factory. Thats only acouple of hours, but where are we supposed to live in the meantime ? The first dealer to look ( Seattle Washington), thought to whole slide would have to come out and the driverside wall of the house get rebuilt. They (Seattle ) thought some seals were missing. That sounds like a factory defect to me.

As a side question, what are Isata MHs like ? We saw a few of those out traveling about and they looked nicer than what we have.

And am I supposed to write to Thor ? To whom does one send what ? LSG

Arrv, why can't you return a car with 7500 miles on it ? If it were defective, the mileage isn't my problem. It would seem thats the dealers / manufaturers problem. A warranty doesn't expire as you drive off the lot.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:25 PM   #17
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Read the warranty. It tells you what to do, who to contact, and how to contact them.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:30 PM   #18

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
CUT.....The BEST solution is to make an appointment with Thor for repairs at Wakarusa--they have a sound reputation and know their rigs. Since you already are in Michigan, going to Indiana to get repairs done right the first time is not an unreasonable journey.
I second that!
Old 11-12-2019, 07:14 PM   #19

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
Warranty exists to cure defects

Quote:
Bob et al,
Arrv, why can't you return a car with 7500 miles on it ? If it were defective, the mileage isn't my problem. It would seem thats the dealers / manufaturers problem. A warranty doesn't expire as you drive off the lot.
If my brand new car had a bad harness and my taillights didn't work, that is defective, but under the warranty you need to give the mfg the opportunity to repair it. Was it defective, sure; is it repairable, sure. Can I "return" it because of that defective harness? No, I must give the mfgr the opportunity to repair. There are processes and procedures that must be followed for addressing defects. If it cannot be repaired after multiple attempts, or within a set period of time (there are lists of conditions), or even at all (as in repaired to original condition) then we can talk about "returning" that car. Mfgrs and Dealers rarely want things to get that far, but sometimes they do.
There have been a few forum posts of owners working out deals on coaches that were never (or never properly) repaired. I have a hunch that your case is more complicated than it appeared at first glance--7500 miles is a lot of miles to be having "unliveable" conditions (my words, not yours, but that type of water intrusion and regular slide malfunction creates an unliveable condition). And your unit may be water damaged beyond reasonable repair. Beware that there might be some finger pointing back at you if you didn't have issues addressed timely--for example, you were missing seals, did you order the missing part(s) and have them installed immediately sort of thing. Have all your records available to counter potential fingerpointing.
And yes, be prepared for quality control issues on any "new" coach.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:39 PM   #20

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
LSG, If your dealer isn't handling repairs to suit you call Thor direct. Don't "write" call and speak to a person. The folks at Thor are really great to work with, I have done it several times and has always been a good experience. However, leave your attitude at the door BEFORE you call, their response will hinge on how you act, they are human. Explain your problem, the dealers lack of support and ask for help. You'll get it, they will either refer you to another dealer that they work directly with (Total Value in Elkhart comes to mind) or set you up for a visit to Walkarusa. I've had all sorts of items from minor things to two walls replaced and Thor has always come through for me, give them a chance.