Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2019, 12:01 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37lx
State: Oklahoma
THOR #10261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
How did the Jeep disconnect from the RV while driving? That one's really disturbing.

Yes plz tell about the Jeep disconnect!

Old 01-13-2019, 12:39 AM   #22

Model: Freedom Elite
State: Florida
THOR #14082
Oh Lord. That jeep disconnecting has got to be a whammy story. Please tell, in detail. Everyone can count their blessing stars that that was someone else and not them. Sorry, someone else but not you. Like someone else that lives in another country, a planet even. The story would be great though.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:38 PM   #23

State: California
THOR #14070
It’s all working well

The Jeep story starts off with, I know it was my fault. It was like an engineering disaster. A bridge doesn’t just collapse; first a small rivet falls out, then a beam has too much stress and fails, etc etc.

I had this huge bumper on my Jeep, with two D-ring attachment points mounted vertically. I figured these points would be perfect to use for towing behind the RV.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6818.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	15071

I was using the Roadmaster adjustable tow bar. Huge 1” main pins held it to the Jeep and lynch pins held those in place. I had some massive washers to take up the extra space. When I put the lynch pins on, I knew they would come loose, but ignored myself.

Name:  2742E3D2-EE2E-483B-8DCE-1AC37707BDFD-3408-000003648F81CDC7.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  13.7 KB

I had just exited the freeway THANK GOD. Sure enough, the lynch pin loop rolled over. As the main pin spun around, it eventually orientated the lynch pin vertically and it dropped out. The main pin eventually wiggled out. As that happened, the washers also dropped and I heard the dancing of metal on the road behind me. I looked in my side view mirror only to see what appeared to be my driverless Jeep attempting to pass me as the still attached arm of the tow bar extended beyond spec. I just tapped the brakes and WHAM!! The Jeep crushed the driver side of the RV bumper.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:47 PM   #24

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Wow! Scary story! Glad no one was hurt.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:02 PM   #25

THOR #14070
Could have been a lot worse, but thankfully the other arm didn’t snap. The safety chains would have prevented a runaway Jeep, but it easily could have drifted enough to cause a LOT more damage. The whole Roadmaster tow bar was trash after that.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:07 PM   #26

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Sounds like an old, too true scenario for all of us. Sometimes I'm so smart I don't think I have to listen to the smart guy in me. Looking back, we always remember those last minute thoughts..."this ain't gonna work"...but we do it anyway as if we are exempt from common sense. Worst part...we tell ourselves..."I'll listen to my better judgement next time"... only to tell our better judgment later..."you don't know what you're talking about...I know what I'm doing here!". The old "Pete and Repeat joke".
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:46 AM   #27

THOR #14070
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Worst part...we tell ourselves..."I'll listen to my better judgement next time"... only to tell our better judgment later..."you don't know what you're talking about...I know what I'm doing here!". The old "Pete and Repeat joke".

This time it’ll be different!