Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2015, 01:32 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Ohio
THOR #2498
2016 Thor Axis 24.1 Radio Issues

As 'RV-newbies' we just made our first cross country trip from Ohio to AZ. All in all trip was fairly uneventful - we did loose the arm to the toad along the way and had it repaired outside Oklahoma City - no injuries but could have been serious. What is odd is our radio/camera went dead out of nowhere. Had trouble turning it off Monday night so I held in the on/off button and it went off. What was odd was that the TV remote turned the radio on that's when I had trouble turning it off. Tuesday we got up early to make the final push to AZ and no radio/camera. We tried everything but ended up driving the final 500+ miles with no cameras. Called our RV dealer at home and was told something probably jarred loose over the road - maybe we could pull out the radio and see if something is disconnected. I'm not that handy! Yes it's covered under warranty, but wondered if anyone else had similar experience. Thanks for your help!
Flogger

Old 12-10-2015, 01:50 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Flogger,

Do you have the Jensen or Axxerra radio?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:19 AM   #3

THOR #2498
Axxera AV614BH
Old 12-10-2015, 02:28 AM   #4
Site Team

THOR #1469
On the Axxerra radio to the left of the eject button there is a small hole. In side the hole is a reset button. Use a paper clip to press and hold the button for a couple of seconds to reset the processor. My radio quit working over the weekend and the reset procedure got it going again.

Here are the instructions for the reset procedure

"To resolve abnormal operation or if the unit is inoperable, use the tip
of a pen to press the RESET button (located on the front panel to the
left of the OPEN button). The unit will reset the main processor to the
default settings."

Also, the remote you referred to may not be a television remote. The Axxerra radio comes with a remote.

Here is the manual if you do not have it

AV614BH Manual.pdf
FMCA - F432054
Old 12-10-2015, 03:23 AM   #5

THOR #2498
Thanks for the response Dave - I'll give it a try in the morning and let you know how it works!
Old 12-10-2015, 06:09 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 27k
State: Arkansas
THOR #1759
Send a message via Skype™ to PEHetzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by flogger View Post
What is odd is our radio/camera went dead out of nowhere. Had trouble turning it off Monday night so I held in the on/off button and it went off. What was odd was that the TV remote turned the radio on that's when I had trouble turning it off. Tuesday we got up early to make the final push to AZ and no radio/camera.
Flogger
During our last trip to the Grand Canyon, we encountered the same problem. I had to turn off all of the coach power and then remove the radio to access the connections on the rear of the radio. When we received our new RV, we were given the tools needed to remove the radio. The tools look like two pieces of flat metal with bent ends. The tools are inserted along the middle of the side edges with the bent tip pointing towards the side of the coach. As they are pushed into position, the tools release the locking mechanism that keeps the radio in the dashboard. Now, by pulling on the tools and the edges of the radio, the radio can be drawn outwards. There is enough wiring slack to allow the radio to be fully withdrawn. I removed all of the connections and then reconnected them to assure a good tight connection.
Re-installing the radio just involves pushing it completely back into its position within the dash; not tools needed. After this, all problems were resolved and the radio works fine.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:49 PM   #7

THOR #2498
Thanks for your response - we'll give it a shot tomorrow!
Old 02-07-2016, 03:19 PM   #8
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
We recently purchased the Axis 24.1 ... the remote for the AXXERA radio was missing. The PDI fellow said it was not necessary because it is a touch screen. I like having the remote...therefore, rather than going through all the channels with the dealer/Thor..I called customer care with AXXERA ... told the lady the situation and I was willing to purchase the remote...she asked me when we bought the rv .. gave her necessary info...within 3 days we had our remote free of charge. The best customer service I have received in a long time.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:16 PM   #9

THOR #4116
We have the 2015 Axis 24.1 with a Jensen radio and we are having the same problems with the radio/camera, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It's just aggravating that you pay this kind of money and you have to take the radio apart to fix it. We have had other issues, which I won't do into but I'm very disappointed in the quality of this Thor Motor Coach. This is our first motorcoach, we've always had travel trailers but never with these kinds of problems.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:28 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by vornhamm
We have the 2015 Axis 24.1 with a Jensen radio and we are having the same problems with the radio/camera, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It's just aggravating that you pay this kind of money and you have to take the radio apart to fix it. We have had other issues, which I won't do into but I'm very disappointed in the quality of this Thor Motor Coach. This is our first motorcoach, we've always had travel trailers but never with these kinds of problems.
First of all: Welcome to the forums.
The camera issue could be either: The wiring or the radio--the Jensen JRV-212 isn't the best in the world. Popping the radio out and checking the camera plugs is pretty easy to do (the two "wire" tools to do so should be included in your Thor bag).
Prior to our 24.1 we've had 2 travel trailers and a 5th wheel. The quality on all of them varied quite a bit with our first travel trailer being an absolute nightmare--we ended up getting rid of it after only a season.

So far, after a couple of seasons, our 24.1 has been pretty good and we have a very early one.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:30 PM   #11

THOR #4116
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
First of all: Welcome to the forums.
The camera issue could be either: The wiring or the radio--the Jensen JRV-212 isn't the best in the world. Popping the radio out and checking the camera plugs is pretty easy to do (the two "wire" tools to do so should be included in your Thor bag).
Prior to our 24.1 we've had 2 travel trailers and a 5th wheel. The quality on all of them varied quite a bit with our first travel trailer being an absolute nightmare--we ended up getting rid of it after only a season.

So far, after a couple of seasons, our 24.1 has been pretty good and we have a very early one.
Thank you for the welcome.

Well, went out to the motorcoach and once again, the radio and backup cameras will not work. In the past, I've generally had to wait a few hours before I can reset the radio/camera, so I'll try tomorrow. I feel that at some point, the reset is not going to work. Therefore, I'm going to try to remove the radio but since I'm not technically inclined, can you tell me what I'm looking for if I can get the radio out. We've also had to reset the blind as sometimes it will go up/down and sometimes not. If you have any suggestions for the blind, would appreciate it.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:03 PM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You should find two wires that look like hoops (or "C"s) in the Thor bag. First pop off the trim around the radio (it just snaps into place--but be careful as it can break). Behind the trip you should find four holes--two on each side. You slide the hoops into the holes, then squeeze the hoops together and pull--the radio should just pop right out.

Once the radio is out just check that all the wires behind it are connected up and snug.

If you are really ambitious you could try to replace the radio. (These days its really easy as Jensen also sends the plug-n-play harness.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:04 AM   #13

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
We recently purchased the Axis 24.1 ... the remote for the AXXERA radio was missing. The PDI fellow said it was not necessary because it is a touch screen. I like having the remote...therefore, rather than going through all the channels with the dealer/Thor..I called customer care with AXXERA ... told the lady the situation and I was willing to purchase the remote...she asked me when we bought the rv .. gave her necessary info...within 3 days we had our remote free of charge. The best customer service I have received in a long time.
Guess I'll have to give them a call, no remote with ours either. But then we only use it for the cameras.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:11 AM   #14
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
Guess I'll have to give them a call, no remote with ours either. But then we only use it for the cameras.
You are not missing much without the remote. I thought it would be handy for station searching, etc. But, it is close to useless. Ours lays in the map basket, until I think about fooling with it again.

The Axxera in our Axis works well...my main problem with it is the station search..not the best.

However, since we use cd's alot .. stations in remote areas or the lack of, are not important.

We LOVE OUR AXIS !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:36 PM   #15

State: Rhode Island
THOR #3511
Axxera AV614BH only works when plugged into 30 amp

I am having a similar problem with the Axxera AV614BH radio in my 2016 Hurricane 29M. The radio was working fine but I noticed today that it would not come on. It does come on, however, if I'm plugged in. Would this be a fuse issue? I tried resetting with a paper clip but it still would not work without electric hooked up.

I just discovered that we inadvertantly hit the battery swich last night and that is what caused my problem. Once I turned the batteries back on the radio worked. I wish they were all that simple.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:07 PM   #16
Site Team

THOR #1469
I'm taking my coach to the dealer tomorrow for its third, yes 3rd, Axxerra radio. On our first trip after the radio was replaced under warranty it started loosing power on the way home. Although the coach is no longer under warranty Thor sent another radio to the dealer and the dealer has a tech available to do the installation tomorrow.

We'll see if they get it right this time or if we get another faulty radio. I'm beginning to wonder if the issue is faulty wiring rather than faulty radios.
FMCA - F432054
Old 06-17-2016, 08:11 PM   #17

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
I'm taking my coach to the dealer tomorrow for its third, yes 3rd, Axxerra radio. On our first trip after the radio was replaced under warranty it started loosing power on the way home. Although the coach is no longer under warranty Thor sent another radio to the dealer and the dealer has a tech available to do the installation tomorrow.

We'll see if they get it right this time or if we get another faulty radio. I'm beginning to wonder if the issue is faulty wiring rather than faulty radios.
Dave,
I think I would be skeptical of the wiring also. But, maybe the 3rd one will be the charm.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:24 PM   #18

State: Tennessee
THOR #8845
Amazing advice! I found the reset button our our Axxera AV615BHM /Thor Ace 29.3. I did the reset and the cameras that had died during bumpy road now WORK!!! Thank you so much!!
Old 08-29-2017, 07:25 PM   #19

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
Quote:
Originally Posted by rihlefeld View Post
I am having a similar problem with the Axxera AV614BH radio in my 2016 Hurricane 29M. The radio was working fine but I noticed today that it would not come on. It does come on, however, if I'm plugged in. Would this be a fuse issue? I tried resetting with a paper clip but it still would not work without electric hooked up.

I just discovered that we inadvertantly hit the battery swich last night and that is what caused my problem. Once I turned the batteries back on the radio worked. I wish they were all that simple.
I did the same thing! Took generator out as well....so many little land minds in these things...at least an easy reset fix!

Tags
axis issues, camera, radio, thor