Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-06-2020, 04:19 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Colorado
THOR #20709
1st Time RV owner looking for F&I Product advice

I am purchasing my new 2021 Thor Tiburon tomorrow. I am trying to decide which of the F&I products are worth buying. We live in Colorado with our 2 -12 year old twins.

Any thoughts on the following products we are being pitched from Lazy Days?

1. Platinum Service Extended warranty - 5 years - $50 deductible - $3800?

2. Wheel and Tire - 5 years - $999

3. Eco Pro RV protection package - Interior and Exterior - $1867

4. Tyron Bands - front two tires with changing tools $1969

5. Roadside Assistance - 5 years -$799

We plan on doing a lot of boon docking and also several long trips through the Pacific NW and Canada (if Canada will let us in next summer due to CV19). This is our first RV and having little kids having some security is important. That being said I work in the automotive business and know that the F&I office is where at the car dealerships make a ton of money and not all the products are worth the costs. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thomas

Old 10-06-2020, 10:22 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Wow, I'd be inclined to say no to all.

That almost $10k total in your pocket could fix just about anything all of that would cover.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:44 AM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
No to all that junk.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:42 AM   #4

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
NO too all. If you have the money now put it in a special savings account drawing interest. If not put $50.00 a month in one.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:40 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Those are all very expensive add on's. The roadside assistance can be done with either your motor home insurance carrier for towing an rv/changing a tire much cheaper. Good Sam offers one, AAA offers one(premium rv towing service). The tyron bands are usually the four outside tires and not just the front two tires. If you have to change out a tire, the shop must have the correct tools to remove the tyron bands to get the tire off and on the rim. I have them on my mh and had to buy the tool kit from the manufacturer for under $200.00 to carry with me. I would say no to all of them at this time and put the money away for future repairs if you can.

Paul
Old 10-06-2020, 01:49 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Illinois
THOR #12548
I can offer up a counter point to my esteemed colleagues here—with all due respect, of course.

I bought the 34J and wanted my wife to be as comfortable driving that thing as I would. While a blowout is very rare, she (and I, actually) am pretty scared about something happening while driving. Since the Tyron mods come with the tool to remove/replace tires. I don’t understand the anxiety about tire shops needing special equipment. The dealer gives you the awkward wrench-thingy (technical term), and you throw it in the bottom of one of your basements. It’s with you, ready and waiting wherever you take your RV.

For the extended service agreement—we also bought that. What are the odds that you’ll have a perfect RV by the time the mfg warranty runs out? I’ve taken my rig in a ton of times over the last two years and it’s in pretty good shape—but this year I’ve had two service calls on it. The service plan covered around $3500 of labor & parts so far, and I’ve got another 3.5 years left of coverage. That’s some easy math for me on whether or not it’s worth it. A word of caution on the plan—read the fine print. In ILINOIS, if there isn’t a part replacement, the plan doesn’t reimburse for labor. So the issue I had where all the slide controllers went dead (because a wire fell out behind the converter box) was fixed on my dime. The service plans aren’t perfect, and like was already mentioned—lots of things can be done yourself. But think about what you can/can’t do and then think about what you’re willing to live with—and then make that decision.

For the tire service/replacement—surely you can easily lift off one of those 125# tires yourself (even while on the side of the road), right? And of course, you’ve got spares of those on your rig, right? And you also have the full set of safety equipment to supplement the rig lifts to do that work under it, right? If not, maybe having the piece of mind of making a phone call in your air conditioned house, out of the heat or rain, and having a pro come and do it for you might be worth the money you spend now.

As far as general assistance plan—I’ve haven’t had too much luck with the Coachnet arrive plan that I bought at the dealer. I thought spending the most for a plan would get you the best service. Not so much. Not even in Elkhart. Shop around for that one.

I haven’t used the interior service plan, so I can’t speak to whether or not that’s worth it or you’re better off Scotchguarding your cloth stuff, and being careful. There’s a lot of complaints about crap faux-leather chairs & couches and curtains deteriorating. I would think those would be covered by this plan, but don’t know.

So, also in all—yes, that’s almost $10K in add -ons. But, what is the percentage of that spend on what you’re spending right now on a brand new rig? How does that impact your monthly payment? In my case it was around a 7% lift on TCO. Why would I spend over $100K to be able to do this with my family, and then every time something goes wrong (after the first year), I’m looking at it costing me at least another monthly payment to fix stuff?
Old 10-06-2020, 01:53 PM   #7

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
It’s hard to put a price on someone else’s peace of mind. If it was just me I’d go with only the roadside assistance. My DW all but insists on an extended warranty so I’ve got that even though I don’t expect much benefit from it (happy wife.....). A lot depends on how handy you are and your comfort level dealing with “problems”. It’s like any other form of insurance - an utter and complete waste of money - until it isn’t! Also you should know that the prices quoted usually are highly negotiable if you’ve got the stomach for it.
Old 10-06-2020, 03:51 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm all for Peace of mind...
Buy the ones that will help you feel the most comfortable about the RV.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote