Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2016, 03:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31E
State: Georgia
THOR #5047
Using the genny.....

My manual says never use the genny while sleeping. We have 2 CO monitors in the coach. Shouldnt that alert to any issue? Kinda defeats a lot of use of the genny if you cant run a little air at night, say for a quick overnight at Walmart or whatever. What say you?

Old 09-22-2016, 03:49 PM   #2

THOR #4735
it's like saying don't have your car running while you are waiting in line at the fast food drive thru - bogus, but they 'have' to disclose many, many potential issues in order to protect their liability.

yes, your Generator is perfectly designed to bring you electricity as needed, overnight or not. If the exhaust is not inhibited, and you are not parked in an enclosed space, enjoy.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:52 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam
it's like saying don't have your car running while you are waiting in line at the fast food drive thru
I've never heard of this at all--other than a couple drive-thrus that asked me to turn off the engine because they couldn't hear me.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:19 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Generator exhaust from below can get into RVs under right circumstances. There have been reports on this forum of exhaust getting inside motorhome through slide seals which set off alarm. Any other opening could result in same problem with right wind conditions.

At football games I've been attending this year, RVs are not allowed to run a generator unless they use a Venturi discharge above roof elevation. If you were going to do this often, I'd look into one of these exhaust extensions.

Needless to say some people don't follow rules which caused us to have to move to a different location because the wind was blowing generator exhaust from a nearby RV into our van. It wasn't enough to trip our alarm but we could smell unburned gasoline fumes. Unfortunately, generator exhaust is not as clean as automotive exhaust.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:37 PM   #5

THOR #5047
Anyone else use their genny while sleeping? Like when boondocking? I mean as is, no modifications. Personally, my use would be an occasional overnights on the road. Im usually camping with hook ups.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:00 PM   #6

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Florida
THOR #2154
I don't make a habit of leaving the generator run all night, but I do definitely recommend the "Gen-turi" adapter for the generator exhaust. It isn't much of a modification - it's portable and easy to install and remove. It brings exhaust gas up above the RV roof, instead of letting it gather near the ground. This is especially important if you have the RV parked near other RV's or other structures.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:07 AM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #5494
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw1gator View Post
Anyone else use their genny while sleeping? Like when boondocking? I mean as is, no modifications. Personally, my use would be an occasional overnights on the road. Im usually camping with hook ups.
Hey, we have taken many trips and stay overnight at Walmart while traveling. We always run the generator all night, AC and refrigerator. Never have had a problem and it helps to drown out outside parking lot noise!
Old 09-26-2016, 01:45 PM   #8

THOR #5047
Thanks for the reply chucke.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:51 PM   #9

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N3EQF View Post
I don't make a habit of leaving the generator run all night, but I do definitely recommend the "Gen-turi" adapter for the generator exhaust. It isn't much of a modification - it's portable and easy to install and remove. It brings exhaust gas up above the RV roof, instead of letting it gather near the ground. This is especially important if you have the RV parked near other RV's or other structures.
X2. We haven't had to use it overnight yet but may need to in the future. I am hanging a second co2 detector in the bedroom plus getting the adapter for the exhaust to be channeled up higher. My thoughts are I know I can protect us inside my coach but I worry about someone pulling in next to us after hours and the chances of it harming them or worse.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:31 PM   #10

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #3584
Same here, we leave the generator running when we are boon docking with no problems or smell.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:55 PM   #11

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
interesting thread. I haven't yet. So far we have gone ahead and found a place to park with hookups when it's hot out
but it has been tempting.
Our generator doesn't like to run long periods of time though....it gets hot.... don't know if it has much to do with the chassis engine running or if it's more because the issues have been during daylight hours.....

Regardless.... here's what I think I would do
run the generator and AC till I turn in....make it nice and cold inside.
then if I wake up during the night too hot, I'd fire it up and run the AC for a while and repeat.
I figure that'd work for most times when it's not blast furnace hot out. In those times, I doubt my generator would run all night happily anyway, so I'd be looking to plug in.

I would consider running it through the night with a venturi
but I would close the slide that's near the genny, too many air leaks when it's open.