Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2023, 12:41 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #29774
200ah lifepo4

We have a 2015 Thor Axis 24.1. We recently got a 200ah Lifepo4 lithium battery for our house battery replacement. This battery does not fit in the house battery compartment under the step well. We have it temporarily placed in the lower storage compartment just left of the door. It works as expected. Is there any issue with this as long as it is secured? Where would the best place be to put a 2000w inverter - given that they should probably not be in the same compartment?

Old 05-27-2023, 02:25 AM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Shouldn't be an issue putting inverter and LiFePO4 batteries in the same compartment. You may be thinking of venting, as in lead acid batteries??

The only real concerns are first, making certain everything is secure and can't move. Next is heat - the inverter needs good air circulation. The specs for your inverter should tell how much clearance it needs for heat ventilation.

It's best to have the inverter in fairly close proximity to the battery bank to avoid voltage loss in long cable runs.

In my class C lithium conversion I relocated the batteries from the steps to a large rear storage compartment. With planning you can put the batteries and inverter for lithium just about anywhere. Just keep in mind the cables that ran to the steps might need a heavier gauge, and of course rerouted.
Old 05-28-2023, 03:43 AM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
That bin is held to the coach in the weakest possible way.
While the battery is lightweight(ish),
67 lbs(a guess) on one sqft(A GUESS) is going to dislodge the entire bin.

My inverter is behind the drawers under the sink in some previously unused space.

Reinforce the bin HEARTILY or you'll be sorry.

And
That lithium can lay on its side fine.
It might fit then.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 12:33 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Many of the newer breed of lithium batteries are more or less hand built... cell packs glued into a plastic case with a BMS. They ARE NOT NECESSARILY designed to be waterproof unless that's SPECIFICALLY stated.

If the battery isn't guaranteed to be waterproof, I would not put it under the steps. One good drive in a rain storm might just destroy the battery - shorting the internal components AND voiding any warranty.

Tags
house battery, inverter, thor axis, thor axis 24.1