Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2017, 10:07 AM   #1

State: California
THOR #8573
2013 30.1 Ace winterizing.

Any rv i owned in the past would have a hotwater tank bypass so you didn't have to put antifreeze into the water heater when you winterize.
I wiuld unhook the return line of the pump and pull in the antifreeze into all the lines.
My ace dosen't seem to have this bypass. The previous owner said he would put antifreeze in the fresh water tank and pull from there to circulate throughout the rv.

Please tell me Thor is not that stupid and i am just missing the bypass somewere.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:29 AM   #2
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Any rv i owned in the past would have a hotwater tank bypass so you didn't have to put antifreeze into the water heater when you winterize.
I wiuld unhook the return line of the pump and pull in the antifreeze into all the lines.
My ace dosen't seem to have this bypass. The previous owner said he would put antifreeze in the fresh water tank and pull from there to circulate throughout the rv.

Please tell me Thor is not that stupid and i am just missing the bypass somewere.
Haven't seen one without it in recent years...
Should be right at the hot water heater where the lines enter - 3 valves - hot, cold, and crossover.

We all know things get left out in construction - but haven't heard of that one before.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:50 AM   #3

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
I have a 2016 ACE 30.1 and the hot water bypass is in the bedroom. you have to take the bottom drawer out of the dresser. I think on mine it's the one closer to the bathroom. But I stopped using it, now I just drain all the water, take the plug out of the hot water tank, open all the faucets (don't forget the outside shower) and hook up a air compressor to the water intake (set it around 40psi) and blow all the water out of the lines. Then I pour the anti-freeze into all the drains. I don't know if you have a lot of deep freezes there, but where I'm at we don't, so this works for me.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:42 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
On my 2017 29.3 ace I had to purchace the antifreeze kit that would suck the antifreeze out of the bottle and into the lines. CW had the kit, it was an easy install just before the pump.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:18 PM   #5

State: British Columbia
THOR #9930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippytwo View Post
I have a 2016 ACE 30.1 and the hot water bypass is in the bedroom. you have to take the bottom drawer out of the dresser. I think on mine it's the one closer to the bathroom. But I stopped using it, now I just drain all the water, take the plug out of the hot water tank, open all the faucets (don't forget the outside shower) and hook up a air compressor to the water intake (set it around 40psi) and blow all the water out of the lines. Then I pour the anti-freeze into all the drains. I don't know if you have a lot of deep freezes there, but where I'm at we don't, so this works for me.
Great where is the fresh water tank drain. Thanks,
Old 11-07-2017, 12:15 AM   #6

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMSACE30.1 View Post
Great where is the fresh water tank drain. Thanks,
On my 2017 30.1 the drains are located in the wet bay on the suction and discharge of the pump. The valves have a plunger that routes the water from the pump to the drains. Push down to drain, pull up to restore normal flow. Suction drains the freshwater tank and discharge drains the lines.

My ACE has a tee to connect a tube to suck up antifreeze. There is a shutoff valve on the fresh water tank side that you need to close to be able to suck up the pink stuff. After filling the system, you then can re-open the block valve.

My hot water bypass is under the bottom bedroom drawer. Remove the drawer and there is a rather poorly secured piece of panel that you remove to get to the block and bypass valves (three valves, close the inlet and outlet valves and open the bypass. Drain the WH via the plug on the outside.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:38 PM   #7

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
I used to use the suction hose on the pump but after reading the Thor winterizing page...lol I know right?? I put the antifreeze in the fresh water tank after it's empty and turn on the pump. (Bypass the HW tank of course). Open all the faucets, the low point drains, outside shower until each runs pink then close each one up. Shut off the pump. Pour some into all the traps and it should be set for the cold.